Author Topic: Story Mode - Modding Questions  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Memxio

• Major
  • Rugertard
Story Mode - Modding Questions
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:19:07 am »
So... I was putting my glasses on this morning when I found myself staring at a Resident Evil 4 poster in my room and thinking about Soldat. That lead me to my two current questions. It's quite possible that they've both been asked about/suggested before and I apologize if they have.

1. Is it possible to make a map end by reaching a certain point on the map or by killing all of the bots?
2. Is it possible to make a Bulletproof Vest spawn on a bot after their health has reached a certain point and to make it do that for a set amount of times, say twice?

These questions relate to the idea of a "story mode" method of play. The map idea came about because one map that encompasses all areas of the RE4 world would be insanely large. The increased health idea was for the über enemies in the game such as Dr. Salvador, Garradors and Regenerators.

Many would dislike it, I'm sure, since it's simply not Soldat. On the other hand, I think many would enjoy it as well since... it's simply not Soldat. Previous mods that were not related to the Soldat style of play (Climb, DB, LAW Catch, Hexer/MM, DH, etc.) all enjoyed success and popularity. A story mode for Soldat would be interesting, I think, though the fun may be short lived.

I, by no means, have the talent or ability to do this, but I would still like to know the answers to these questions and maybe someone in the community would like to take a stab at it.

My mistake if this is in the wrong section, as Espadon says.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:30:20 pm by Memxio »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: Story Mode - Modding Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:12:05 pm »
This sounds more like a scripting issue than a modding issue. Most of the stuff that goes on here are gfx-related, not code.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:26:47 pm »
It sounds scriptable, I know that its possible to track health of a bot/player and have the health be displayed in a message, like DS NX Beta zombie server (boss health is displayed)  so I dont see why you couldn't use this to trigger the spawning of a vest at the bot/player's location.  Not that I know anything about scripting D:

I dont know about #1 however, never seen anything quite like it.  (But the killing of all the bots is probably do-able)

Player since late 2007

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:38:35 pm »
Yup, both are most certainly possible.

Offline Memxio

• Major
  • Rugertard
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:41:18 pm »
Thank you Toumaz. I really ought to see you more in-game; you're never around.

Now that those questions have been answered, what would everyone's opinion be about a story mode styled mod? That actually brings about another question though...

3. Is it possible to have the two things I mentioned before, but multiplied about 10 times, map included? That way you wouldn't need to waste a full server for one person and each person can play their own individual "story mode". I'll do a quick little MSPaint mock-up and attach it.

Sorry if that comes across as hard to understand, I didn't know how else to word it.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 09:03:17 pm by Memxio »

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:32:43 pm »
Or you could just run it locally, like most single player modes.

Or you could just have co-op, like most single player modes.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 12:42:32 am »
1. Is it possible to make a map end by reaching a certain point on the map or by killing all of the bots?

30 bots, survival mode, score limit: 30.

So long as the player doesn't kill themselves somehow (getting -1 kill)

Or CTF / INF where you start at the enemy flag and carry it to the capture point at the end of the level? Or just have both flags at the end of the level.

2. Is it possible to make a Bulletproof Vest spawn on a bot after their health has reached a certain point and to make it do that for a set amount of times, say twice?

Sounds possible with scripting.

3. Is it possible to have the two things I mentioned before, but multiplied about 10 times, map included? That way you wouldn't need to waste a full server for one person and each person can play their own individual "story mode". I'll do a quick little MSPaint mock-up and attach it.

The most efficient way would be to have each level as its own map and set them in a rotation. Once you reach the end of the map and score/kill all the enemies, the next map is loaded from the rotation. If you did the whole game in 1 map it would give a lower framerate... there's a 150 scenery limit as well, also it would take a long time to download when connecting to a server hosting it.

This definitely sounds like it should be singleplayer, not multiplayer. Lots of bots = lots of lag and all players on the same team = chaos at spawn.

Also, with regards to that image I don't think you can allocate a spawn to a specific player slot.... they are just team-specific as far as I know.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:44:44 am by Mangled* »
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Memxio

• Major
  • Rugertard
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:01:02 am »
Hmm... alright.

Didn't think about survival mode. :/  CTF/INF would be great for one player and I'm ashamed I didn't think of that either.

Thanks to everyone for responding. I knew it would be a pain in many aspects, I just didn't know how big of one it could be. I figured running it locally or doing it co-op, as The Philanthropist suggested, would be the best way to do it, but I also figured it would lessen the amount of fun and the replay value.

Well, this idea didn't even get off the ground. Maybe, at the very least, it inspired someone else to create a new game mode.

Thanks again.

Offline Retro349

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »
I've seen something like an end point on servers, where it's an obstacle course and at the end the red and blue flags are right next to each other.