Author Topic: Surround Sound Help  (Read 778 times)

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
Surround Sound Help
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:14 pm »
So I bought some Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers today and set them up correctly, blah blah. I used the "test" feature in Vista's audio control panel and everything was fine/dandy.

So I fired up Half-Life 2 to test it out some more- went into the options, noticed my speaker settings were already set at 5.1, played, etc. "It must've auto-detected my speaker setup," I thought to myself.

That's the problem though. The only game I'm getting surround sound from is Half-Life 2 and all other source engine games. Crysis doesn't have an option for it in the system settings, and google claims that it *should* auto-detect like Half-Life 2 did, thus defeating the need for the option to show up in the first place..

Same problem with Stalker. Same problem with FEAR.

So, in short: Surround sound is not being auto-detected on games like Crysis/Stalker/pretty much every non-source game. I'm using Vista 32-bit and onboard 5.1 audio. Anybody have any helpful clues?

Offline Iron Man

• Soldier
Re: Surround Sound Help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:56:06 pm »
so what speakers does it play out of?

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:28 pm »
Just the front right/left speakers in stereo mode.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:03:30 pm »
Can't you change Vista's sound properties to duplicate the front and back speakers? I know that defeats a lot of the purpose, but if nothing else helps I guess that's all you can do. Maybe your surround speakers came with some kind of driver or configuration utility or something?
There are other worlds than these

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:52:45 am »
Can't you change Vista's sound properties to duplicate the front and back speakers? Maybe your surround speakers came with some kind of driver or configuration utility or something?

Nope, nope. Although I am duplicating the front output to the back for my music player, it sounds pretty cool.

This all might have something to do with my usage of onboard audio instead of a sound card. Vista is so stupid sometimes.