Author Topic: Fee for BattlEye services  (Read 40201 times)

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
Re: Fee for BattlEye services
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2008, 05:13:56 am »
Come on, $able has taken his time and effort in creating the battleye anti cheat system and I respect him for that. Although it's not perfect, from what I think, more that half of the soldat community doesn't know poo about programming or coding. I would like to see someone from the soldat community code a anti cheat protection system that surpasses $ables.

Quote from: MM
Almost 99% of a programmers efforts are not seen by the public.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:16:09 am by JupiterShadow »

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2008, 05:24:44 am »
who the feck cares about pubs anyway? :o
a good player plays like a hacker for them anyway.

Most of Soldat's userbase use public servers... The N/A R/S community alone has 11 public servers.

Nah, we don't need pubs. Just shut them all down and let the "pros" play gathers only  ::)

Offline Etheryte

• Major(1)
  • The deadline was when?
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2008, 05:33:46 am »
who the feck cares about pubs anyway? :o
a good player plays like a hacker for them anyway.

Most of Soldat's userbase use public servers... The N/A R/S community alone has 11 public servers.

Nah, we don't need pubs. Just shut them all down and let the "pros" play gathers only  ::)
Yeah, Soldat is sure to welcome many new players to the game like that. ::)
Yours truly, P. Etheryte

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2008, 05:35:33 am »
Public servers are the heart and veins of Soldat, literally.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2008, 05:36:29 am »
Public servers are the heart and veins of Soldat, literally.
Damn true, and about the hackers, no worries, why do we have the kick vote?

Offline $able

• BattlEye Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2008, 06:19:08 am »
I won't even comment on all those "BE sucks" posts, because it's pointless anyway, but let me say that the situation is like this:

I am making BE a professional product (yes, although it sucks big time and just kicks innocent people and not hackers), which means that I won't be able to spend time on a free game anymore. Some people here basically seem to think I have to go on doing this for Soldat forever simply because I once started with it. Remember that I started this out of good will, but as you know things change in life.
I could as well just say goodbye entirely, which probably would have been better seeing all those negative posts. Instead I decided to make this offer. Sorry for that.

The BattlEye integration will probably be removed anyway (making BE a third-party), so no worries.

Just one more thing on the money thing: I suppose you all go to work out of good will and for free etc. right? The fact is, no one works shit for free. Now this probably sounds even more fucked up on a forum of a free game, but as I just told you I am making this a business to make a living from it. Of course, this is not your problem, but that's just how the situation is. So please at least accept that I can't support Soldat like this any longer.
It's just sad to see people calling me greedy, it's so false I don't even want to comment on it.

Now flame on! :)
“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BmC Soldat

• Major(1)
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2008, 06:25:55 am »
Think about it: BE kicks about 10% of all players joining a server. Of this 10%, only about 1 or 2 percent will actually be hackers.

BE is only good for public servers. If the hacker knows the password to the server, he probably can bypass BE anyway. The only thing charging for BE will do, is kill publics. Because any hacks that people use in private servers, ARE NOT DETECTED ANYWAY.

Honestly, of the public server providers, flab an eC will be your only customers, and why the hell do they want to pay for something when they are currently providing it at no cost to them? I don't see them holding their hand out to the community demanding to get paid. This is because some people do things in life for FREE, instead of expecting to get paid off. Sure the servers are good advertising, but your in the same situation. If you were to perfect this community, it would be perfect advertising for other buyers.

Also, with that being said, new players that just downloaded the game will request servers, and find that 6/7 are passworded. This will basically stop the flow of new players, leaving BE with no servers to really provide for.

And dont even try using the 'i've spent so much time on this' card, because we all know that it was for your own purposes. Now, you have nothing left to gain, so your trying to blackmail us with your less than effective program.

Noone wants to pay for BE, simple as that. You'd be lucky to make $50US a month, at that. It's great while it's free, but a waste of money when it's not.

And lastly, your going to try sell BE to other games? I suggest that you work harder at making the program better before you rush off trying to market it.

And hell, if I had a game, and I was looking for an program to stop hacking, I'd want to know how well the program works. And right now, they're gunna come running to this forum, and see all the negativity. Not a real good sales pitch imo.

But on a nicer note, I, as the soldat player that I am, do appreciate the work you've put into this community.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:29:13 am by BmC Soldat »

Offline bullet_

• Major(1)
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2008, 06:47:53 am »
Man, I registered just to tell this:

You guys are idiots.

BattlEye IS a decent piece of software. Most people who cry about BE know nothing about programming, hacking, and computers in general. Today it isn't really possible to cheat anymore without having a proper BattlEye hack. And guess what kids, once there is a hack for ANY anti-cheat, it's useless. But even then BattlEye is superior to others because of the very quick update interval. I've been doing several days of hack-update-hack-update cycles with $able without any guys of you noticing. He was reacting faster than you guys can say "OMG BE SUXXXXX". Go to hell.

Did anyone actually notice how you contradict yourselves? You say BattlEye is useless, sucks, kickbans for no reason (Did you know BattlEye resends EVERY PACKET 5 times with several seconds delay until you get kicked for not responding? And you want to tell me your lagspike got you kicked? Hahahaha.) and $able shall improve it. Yet you say when he will charge money for it, it will disappear from servers and the cheaters will wreak havoc again. Wait. That would mean BattlEye is in fact useful. So pay for it. You even pay for stupid jet flame colors on this shareware game, so you might as well spend a dollar on not being assraped by some "14 year old kiddie".

You cried so much about D3D hooks being detected. Stop using your shitty programs that do overlay, D3D hooks are the key to any useful hack so checking on it is the most natural thing to do. I don't get why anyone is even crying at all. If you think BattlEye is a POS software, don't use it. It is optional. But we all know what happens if you disable it. So once more, it is not as useless as you guys think or at least tell.

I think this shitty community deserves an anti-cheat program that fucks your whole computer up just like PunkBuster and co. do. With its permanently loaded drivers that break any data privacy by scanning all running processes. With lifetime hardware bans and false positives. With anti-debug drivers that cripple your whole system and castrate you and your family once you dare to open a debugger.

This is kind of weird that I am the one to say BattlEye is doing a good job. Could be because I actually know what the fuck I am talking about.

Thanks for your attention.

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2008, 06:48:31 am »
in after people saying completely false numbers just to make battleye look bad
Banned

Offline ElephantEater

• Major
  • Don't confuse me with ElephantHunter.
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2008, 06:52:00 am »
Ditto bullet: The way I see it, BattlEye has done a hell of a job. You don't get supermen in servers like you used to. For this I congratulate $able and his BE.

No matter what, there will always be hacks to bypass anti-hack systems. That is undeniable, BE is no different, and bypassability is irrelevant towards whether $able wants to charge.

There will be some side-effects of charging money for BE related to hackers, but what the hell, that's a different topic altogether.

Offline $able

• BattlEye Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2008, 06:52:48 am »
And hell, if I had a game, and I was looking for an program to stop hacking, I'd want to know how well the program works. And right now, they're gunna come running to this forum, and see all the negativity. Not a real good sales pitch imo.

Ever heard of PunkBuster? You can read everywhere on the internet how much it sucks and how bad it is at keeping servers clean (and only kicks innocent people). Following this logic, BattlEye must be quite successful. :)
“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2008, 06:58:15 am »
Now flame on! :)
maybe you could comment on a few posts in the first page(s)

Offline rayanaga

• Soldier
  • ~Fur flying~
    • Kryonex
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2008, 09:33:33 am »
The way I BattlEye,

Your server with BattlEye is like a soldier wearing Kevlar. Kevlar can stop some lesser rounds (or hacks) but not all of them.

Your server without BattlEye is like a soldier wearing no armor whatsoever. You have no protection from rounds (or hacks) at all.

My point? BattlEye is better then having no protection at all but it still isn't as good as it should be.  The whole idea about putting a price on BattlEye is incredibly selfish and you are just hurting and putting down soldat for your own profit which is totally unethical.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if BattlEye starts charging you, I believe that a couple other programmers would whip up a couple Anti-hack scripts to compete with you.
[kY] Kryonex - Your local zombie fanatics.
http://www.kryonex.com/

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2008, 09:35:29 am »
[sarcasm]yea, it's very nice that $able is not offering this service for free anymore. MM never made soldat for free, it was $able!! EnEsCe never puts any effort in developing soldat. It's all $able! $able is god, so he has the right to ask us for money.[/sarcasm]

[serious]Well I never said that BE is worthless. It might be buggy once in a while but it usually only kicks hackers or people that have disconnected. BUT, why did you make this for soldat while you knew that the soldat community was not going to like this. Did MM knew about this from the beginning, or did you make some kind of agreement about this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if BattlEye starts charging you, I believe that a couple other programmers would whip up a couple Anti-hack scripts to compete with you.
We, as soldat players, are not even allowed to ask money for soldat additions.
Kinda an unfair advantage[/serious]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:38:23 am by PQ »
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline ElephantEater

• Major
  • Don't confuse me with ElephantHunter.
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2008, 09:41:24 am »
Let me put it in bold text.

ONLY SERVER OWNERS NEED TO PAY FOR BATTLEYE SUPPORT. NOT YOU TWELVE YEAR OLDS.

Offline Sauron

• Soldier
  • Call me "Uncle Sam"
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2008, 09:42:04 am »
BattlEye is good but when we have to pay something for it, it became a non-functional shit yes? Wake up boys. If you are looking on it from his side you will understand him.He is working on BE some years for free in his free time.So I think his idea about payment for BE server side is regular.If you are doing something for free long time you start lose active interest in it, but if you are getting some money from it you are still motivated to do good job and improve it.Remember Soldat 1.3.1 servers were full of hackers and leagues too and now? Servers are clear, of course no 100% clear but they are clear.No one anti-cheat has fully detection for hacks.BattlEye is doing good joob.Yes they are some BE bypass systems but you have to pay for it.So it will never became to masshacking as in 1.3.1.That is what hackers needed, game without anti-cheat system.

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2008, 09:54:25 am »

We as twelve year olds (lol) play on these servers though. Less people will rent a server, so EnEsCe, selfkill, u13 and other host will get less money and might quit. Renting soldat servers is not the most lucrative thing you can do anyway..
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2008, 10:12:12 am »
ONLY MM NEEDS TO PAY FOR BATTLEYE SUPPORT. NOT YOU SERVER HOSTERS.
fixed

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2008, 10:22:08 am »

You're an idiot for implying that this won't affect us "12 year olds" who don't own servers. Whatever your feelings on BE are, you can't deny that this will affect the number of BE-enabled servers. And without a doubt, you can bet that those who remain "unprotected" will see their servers turn into what we saw in 1.3.1. Suppose you are a player who frequents one of those servers. You can't say that they will be unaffected. You would have to deal with the caliber of hackers you might see in any garbage game that someone like Nexon would release. Players are equally if not more affected by this than just server owners.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2008, 10:51:53 am »
I don't think it could cost a lot since the pay implementation would affect all battleye supported games. And that is a lot of servers. Unless he is very very greedy.

Still, if we really have to pay for this, then we expect more frequent upgrades.

You're an idiot for implying that this won't affect us "12 year olds" who don't own servers. Whatever your feelings on BE are, you can't deny that this will affect the number of BE-enabled servers. And without a doubt, you can bet that those who remain "unprotected" will see their servers turn into what we saw in 1.3.1. Suppose you are a player who frequents one of those servers. You can't say that they will be unaffected. You would have to deal with the caliber of hackers you might see in any garbage game that someone like Nexon would release. Players are equally if not more affected by this than just server owners.

I know it would, but in the end, the public server without BE will be filled with hackers, then the server would go empty, forcing the servermaster to implement BE. So in the end, most public server would still end up having BEs. Except those rarely used private ones.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:55:42 am by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...