Author Topic: How to convert .sdm to .avi  (Read 3507 times)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
How to convert .sdm to .avi
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:17:04 pm »
What application do I use to convert .sdm to .avi or is it impossible because all players viewpoints are available, therefore I'd have to use an app like HyperCam or Camstudio?
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
Re: How to convert .sdm to .avi
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 03:20:21 pm »
Impossible. Only way is to play the demo and record it with Fraps, HyperCam, and such.
Text goes here...

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:21:23 pm »
.sdm are the data (player/bullet positions and stuff) sent by the server, so you need soldat to 'draw' the players/bullets at the stored positions and an program like HyperCam or Camstudio to record it.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:08:02 pm »
you can have soldat dump the video data too if you use the extract bool when playing back the demo from the command line (or using any demo player that supports it), which will extract each frame to the demos/extracted folder in BMP format. you can then put the bmps together with your favourite video editing software...

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 04:12:31 pm »
you can have soldat dump the video data too if you use the extract bool when playing back the demo from the command line (or using any demo player that supports it), which will extract each frame to the demos/extracted folder in BMP format. you can then put the bmps together with your favourite video editing software...
Butit takes some time, and LOADS of HDD space :-\
Text goes here...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:54:43 pm »
Thanks, for all your help, I was figuring I'd have to do that, I figure just recoding it would be better than extracting it though right?

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:21:24 pm »
Thanks, for all your help, I was figuring I'd have to do that, I figure just recoding it would be better than extracting it though right?
yes, record it with a screen recorder. extracting all the pictures would take a lot of space, and time to extract it.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 08:01:14 pm »
It would be interesting if MM released the code that is used to render the gameplay from this data, then someone could write software that *could* theoretically transcode this directly to AVI or play the demo back outside of Soldat

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »
I've talked to EnEsCe and MM about it, demos are basically netdumps apparently so to protect the netcode encryption and whatnot that's not possible...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 09:10:13 pm »
Aha, that is a good answer.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:10:37 pm »
I've talked to EnEsCe and MM about it, demos are basically netdumps apparently so to protect the netcode encryption and whatnot that's not possible...
Then one of them should make a separate little demo viewer (for real) which lets you open a .sdm in it and watch the game and actually encode what's playing to an mpg, taking away the need for something like fraps.
There are other worlds than these

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:17:59 pm »
Except that is a pretty bad way for them to spend their time

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »
Stupid post was here - Mike
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:00:40 am by miketh2005 »

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:21 pm »
I'm lazy? So I guess I shouldn't bother releasing any new versions then, if people are going to be ungrateful leeches for the things I have been doing for free for 4 years.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 03:58:37 pm »
I was just repeating what another person said, I don't have that opinion, i guess some people would rather you do more then what you do :/ I think theres a saying "No matter what you do people still want more" just ignore them and continue on your way, and don't you get a little profit from hosting servers? Or do you mean what you do in making Soldat, is not something that you HAVE to do, right? Here's the qoutes:

"
-Removed-- And now, enesce's excuse for being a lazy bratwurst *looks at Chrisgbk*: If there isn't going to be a free less-frequently updated version available for people, then the flood gates from the Ocean of Cheaters shall be open once again. For me, it was nice being able to focus on adding features to Soldat, but looks like focus is going to have to go back to stopping cheaters which will, I guarantee, hinder any new features or bug fixes to future Soldat/server versions. Oh well :3
"

"-Removed-- lol
-Removed-- gotta love that fool
-Removed-- blaming hackers for his lazyness"

"-Removed- - I'm really looking forward to EnEsCe's anti-cheat system. It's quite interesting that EnEsCe only kicks in when there's fame to win for being the shiny white knight to rescue the community when it's about to be torn apart by hell's brood (what a visual description.). Why didn't he write some awesome anti-cheat before, he is the one that should know best about it anyway."

"-Removed-- I'm sure that the only reason why he's jumping up and becoming Soldat's new hero now is to make a good reputation for himself. After all, personal interest is what makes this world go round.
By the way, I don't know if it was an impostor or not, but I saw some EnEsCe dude in GA2 probably about two weeks ago. He was m79ing and was utter noobage at playing."

I'll write further comments in the "Fee for BE thread"... We are very gratefull people for you working on new versions of the best game ever created and doing so so much for the Soldat community, people just want more... EnEsCe for president! I think I'll make a sig like that...

Date Posted: September 22, 2008, 01:23:48 am
I guess that was a bit off-topic, eh? :P you started it, lol

lol, you being so harsh should take that thought out of anyones mind... (of you being lazy)

Date Posted: September 22, 2008, 01:24:13 am
yea, i posted the names before i knew, :P sorry, i havent read the rules in a while, so sorry :(

Date Posted: September 22, 2008, 03:44:19 am
anyway, this can be locked, i got my answer. ;) thanks