Author Topic: I dislike you. Severely.  (Read 19341 times)

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
Re: I dislike you. Severely.
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 07:17:46 pm »
TONIGHT, WE BAN, THE TROLLERS!!! (I dunno if I'm being a complete isiot by posting this :P)

But really, finally I see a bit of an improvement :D

Look, if you think posting something will make you look like an idiot, just don't post it. Please. You'd still be lurking, but we'd still have our faith in humanity.

I'm for jrgp as a moderator of some sort. He's a nice fellow and if anyone is to become one it's him :7

Oh Christ no. He's "nice", but he can't comprehend sarcasm, and leaps to the defense of those he thinks might have the same problem. We'd have half the more cynical members banned in a matter of  days.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 07:27:36 pm »
I wouldn't worry about voting for mods; the head guys here know who they like and will probably pick people on their own.

And I fully agree that the idiocy here needs to end.  The Lounge is for posting legitimate topics that don't directly relate to Soldat; it's not a place for people to say "I'm bored and have no life, so I'm going to start a forum game that makes no sense and has no point."  Sure, probably at least 95% of the people here are teenagers, but that doesn't mean that this forum needs to be an outlet for the stupidity bouncing around in peoples' heads.

However, I'm pretty much convinced that the mods and admins have stopped caring.  There's just no excuse for the people that Kazuki mentioned (and others like them, of course) to still be around if the mods were doing anything close to their jobs.  FLAB, Vjichti, n00bface, Jaybee, and anyone else modding the Lounge, please, if you're not going to do anything, then get some new moderators who will.  Maybe you're content with this garbage continuing, but there are a lot of us who aren't.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 07:34:05 pm »
Finally, wheels are turning. Been waiting for this. Also, are we discussing loungemods only, or a full forum nazi renovation?

For the time being, I'm releasing the rage on the Lounge, but that's it. If I can create a domino effect in that I get people in the correct mindset for a staff renewal, all the better. But that's really beyond my power. It's apparent, however, that a significant amount of members see the need for such an event to occur, so I don't think it's outrageous for FLAB / Chak / NSC to consider hiring a new set of moderators.

This is just a suggestion, while we're on this topic.

Have a public vote for moderator nominations and see who are the top 5 (maybe 10) or so. Then have the current staff duke it out for the replacements. The unfortunate thing is that with the way things are now, we'll see too much spam in the thread if it's in The Lounge. If anyone else has some suggestions, you can throw them out there, although it's obviously not my decision.

I think that, yes, there should be a vote of some sort to determine the possible candidates for moderators. However, we need a method of selection that is restricted to members who take it seriously (haha, perhaps the voting threads can be moderated strictly) and simultaneously picks an appropriate moderator for each subforum.

I'm thinking we create a nomination thread in each subforum and have those who frequent their respective subforum nominate members for a moderator position in that specific subforum. These threads would have to be kept under close surveillance so as to prevent "idiots" from skewing the results. Keep in mind, though, that this is an idea which just now popped into my head. It probably needs a lot of revision and implementation.

I do see some other issues that need to be resolved, however. For one, there are only three people in this entire forum, as far as I know, who are capable of banning people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the current roster of admins:

FliesLikeABrick -- Little activity, busy with life.
EnEsCe -- Active.
Chakra - Inactive.
ElephantHunter - Inactive.
Vijchtidoodah - Inactive.

Of course, I don't really visit other subforums, so the chances of me being wrong are high, but that's one out of five administrators that can be categorized as sufficiently active. Once again, correct me if I'm wrong on this issue. So even if we have lots of active moderators, the threat of being banned is invalid to an extent, as mods can't ban people.

Secondly, if we are going to use a warning system, I believe we need a more automated system. In the Snitz Forums (the old Soldat forums), there was a small triangle with an exclamation point in it below the avatar of anyone who had been given a warning. I believe that the first warning was a yellow triangle and the second warning was a red triangle, with the third warning resulting in a ban. When you hovered your mouse over said triangle, an information balloon would pop up stating what the warning was given for and by whom. If I remember correctly, these warnings would also automatically expire after a certain time period.

As far as I know, FLAB has had real trouble finding a similar addon for the SMF forums (the current forums). I'm not sure if that's still the case or not, but even if it is, I assume that, given the insane amount of highly skilled programmers that the Soldat community houses, we can launch a project of sorts that addresses this issue. Maybe we can get our own members to write code to better the forums.

* Kazuki shrugs.

I also need to be replaced. I'm old. XD

Edit: @Gamer: It's not that we've stopped caring. It's that some of us have moved onto college, significant others, life-molding careers, and so on. Through the principles of prioritization, we just can't be around to do our jobs anymore. And that's why we need to be overthrown.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 07:55:48 pm »
If possible can't you just use a color yellow, orange and red for a symbol like for the warning ⚠ or just ☠☠☠ for each warning :D

As for showing what gave you the warning you could post a reason in the signature with a link to the post.

OBEY!!!

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 08:50:32 pm »
I agree with everything Kazuki has said.

Being an active moderator is difficult because giving someone a warning requires several PMs, editing a thread, and then setting a date and remembering when exactly to remove said warnings.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »
Gram, where did you run off to? You're not in the IRC channel anymore. ;_;
MSN, never got around to installing irc after my format. I don't know what is the active channel anymore so I just said balls to that. Just request an add on msn or facebook and you will have a constant stream to me.
@ii

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 09:21:48 pm »
The last thing you want is a vote to decide moderatorship, get some autocracy going. Dictate, don't ask for others opinions.

Clearly, by posting this thread, they have annoyed you. No consult needed, get the banhammer wailing. So essentially this post was initially pointless, but now you say we need new mods. Which is also rather pointless to post here too, considering we of little power probably shouldn't have a say.

So.... lock?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:23:45 pm by The Philanthropist »

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:26 pm »
Actually, I think I'm going to leave this up in the air for now. Feel free to discuss anything said in this thread.

The main point of it was to send the message, "Stop fecking around, or there really will be consequences."

I'm going to check with the mods and admins to see what they think about renewing the SF staff.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 10:48:55 pm »
Humm... Lots of activity. Summery of my thoughts thus far.

Thumbs up for jrgp.

Thumbs down for one gram.

Thumbs up for more mods and admins.

Thumbs up for Kazuki for bringing this to light.
(it took me days of whining before someone put up global mods, this would of taken me weeks)

Thumbs up for a better warning/ban system.
There are a hand full of devs that are experienced enough to add to the forum software. The trick is finding one who has the time.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 11:17:11 pm »
Yeah, there needs to be more moderators as well as zero tolerance towards troll topics and excessive troll posts.

Let's face it.. this place has been pretty lax for a while now and I think it's driven away a lot of the older members.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2008, 12:49:08 am »
I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for ya, Kazuki ;)
Text goes here...

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2008, 01:06:37 am »
Glad that you've finally clicked :D. Maybe posting here will be alot more enjoying D:.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2008, 05:08:28 am »
I remember when you said "I've never known anyone with such a remarkable ability to make me wanna bash my own skull in", or something close. Holy shedawgfist you are dumb.

I also need to be replaced. I'm old. XD
I would disagree. Being old is not enough to get you a walking ticket. You still have time to do.

edit: fine, fixed..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:11:29 am by echo_trail »
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2008, 05:09:38 am »
llllllol

cry more kazuki you b.tch

on a more serious issue, fuuck the swear filter, it is for gays

I remember when you said "I've never known anyone with such a remarkable ability to make me wanna bash my own skull in", or something close. Holy b!tchfist you are dumb.

Quote from: Rules
Abusing the swear filter.

Do not try to get around the swear filter. Doing so will get you a warning, and repeated offenses will only work you through the warning system as mentioned above.  Do you really want to get banned for such a silly thing?
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2008, 06:46:14 am »
As far as I know, FLAB has had real trouble finding a similar addon for the SMF forums (the current forums). I'm not sure if that's still the case or not, but even if it is, I assume that, given the insane amount of highly skilled programmers that the Soldat community houses, we can launch a project of sorts that addresses this issue. Maybe we can get our own members to write code to better the forums.
I've talked to flies about the version of SMF this forum is running. It's several years outdated and due to that many of the newer SMF extensions and packages aren't compatible with it. He can't upgrade to the newer versions because the custom theme this installation of SMF uses isn't compatible with them. He's mentioned that if I have time he'll give me the theme sources so I can make convert them over, making switching to SMF 2.x.x painless.

Anyway, if I was given moderator / banning privileges, I'd do the best job I possibly can at cleaning this place up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:01:54 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2008, 08:07:36 am »
Frogboy's post has been deleted and he has been banned for two weeks.

I'm not fucking around.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2008, 08:09:32 am »
everyone who replies inside a developed troll topic gets an automatic ban

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2008, 08:12:42 am »
Haha! Oh, no, you can bash on the trolls all you like. I'm going to end up deleting the topic anyway.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2008, 08:17:51 am »
If we're not gonna get rid of the swear filter, can we at least get a decent one.. even asterisks will do, f*ckers.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2008, 09:59:22 am »
If we're not gonna get rid of the swear filter, can we at least get a decent one.. even asterisks will do, f*ckers.
I believe that the swear filters are settings that are disabled by default when you setup a fresh forum. You enter the word you want censored manually and the replacement word in another field next to it. There's also wildcards you can add (an asterisk) to the end of the word to catch variations of it in case people try to bypass it, although it's not fool proof.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P