Author Topic: Slide Race/Surf Maps  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Eury

• Major(1)
  • G!C.Eury.NZ - Eury.Nomos@hotmail.com
Slide Race/Surf Maps
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:18:24 pm »
Does anyone here remember slide race and surf from counter-strike?
I was just wondering if anyone had done anything like that for soldat yet.
Im rubbish at mapping, so I was wondering if any of you would make one, if it hasnt been done already.
Would you just have some polygons with negative friction? so you speed up as you run, then have to dodge stuff/jump stuff/shoot the other team at high speeds.

DarkCrusade

Re: Slide Race/Surf Maps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:43:50 pm »
Could u tell me what´s a surfing/racing-map? Then I could try to make one :)

Offline Eury

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:27:54 pm »
Um, basically you make the surface have a negative friction, or make it accelerate the players, so as you step on it your suddenly going quite fast. Then there would be obstacles to dodge and stuff, as well as the other team trying to shoot you and you shooting them as you race along at high speeds.

I tried making my own, but since it was my first look at polyworks i failed pretty hard.

Basically it came out half the size i was expecting, and i didn't realise that there a presets for the polygons' properties. I was hoping you could actually change the numbers for friction/gravity/stuff like that.

In counter-strike you could do it as a console command (sv_friction -1, sv_gravity 300, etc.) but you could also set that stuff up when making the map.

I dont think its possible for soldat, if the only option your given is to set the ground as ice.

You can have a look at my map if you want, but theres not much point. Its playable, not waypointed, kinda waste of time.

And nice name, by the way, dark crusade is an epic game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:30:49 pm by Eury »

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:47:51 pm »
There used to be a ton of surf maps over at http://sml.u13.net but it seems that the site is down.

You can always try PMing the creator and asking if he has them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:50:42 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:35:08 pm »
You could do this many ways.

Lie down on ice polys

Basically you lie down on an Ice polygon, and when you move, you go really fast. There is a sub game-mode like this already, but not many people play it. Advantages are that it is easy to make, but it the only things you could do would be slow down, speed up (to make jumps) and shoot people.

Mod a gun

Also simple, mod a gun with a negative bullet speed, high fire and reload rate, and shotgun pellets as bullet style. Shooting will propel you. Advantages are that it is pretty easy to make and teach to new people, and you can jump over stuff like obstacles. Bad thing is that you can't shoot people (the bullets go wierd and don't hit anything).

Scripting

Much more complicated to implement. Use avarax's add speed to ID function thing to speed people up. Advantages are that you can dodge/jump/shoot stuff easily, and you can have things like stats (times, kills, points, levels)  bad thing is that you have to spend time learning and/or writing the script.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Eury

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:49:02 pm »
As far as lying down on ice polys, thats fun and all but ruins the point as you can stop if you need to. The idea with a negative friction poly was that you cant stop at all, you just rocket on at the constant rate. So that when you see the death poly you have to jump, you cant slow down and take your time.

Modding a gun sounds like a cool idea, but once again the control is in the players hands, not depending on whatever they are standing on.

Scripting would be the only way to recreate what CSS has with its surf/slide maps, but then im really horrible at scripting, or rather have never tried.

And sweet as, your from NZ.

Offline Jakious

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 06:49:27 pm »
http://www.freewebs.com/sonsukka/downloads.htm

Surfs are down the bottom, also you might wanna get ctf_Ice_race, ctf_Ice_race_2, and ctf_Ice_race_3.

They're probably really easy to make, btw surf_fatmike is screwed i'm pretty sure.

Offline Eury

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 02:48:22 am »
Cheers =D