Author Topic: CTF maps in progress  (Read 1154 times)

Offline jerich

• Camper
CTF maps in progress
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:33:58 pm »
The two maps I'm working on is ctf_Rhombus and ctf_Ayo.

Rhombus is the Red and Blue dominated one and has been tested by our map maker team several times. With the couple times we tested this map, the last of the changes suggest I should make it about 80% the size to even make the gameplay faster as that it already is. Poop also suggested to move the meds and nades from mid-low to mid-mid. I don't think that is really necessary because it is indeed the fastest route and you go through meds and nades twice if you go high-mid-high to flag. He also suggested to make the black boxes in front of the base and the black box on the support in front of the flag to be bullet collide only. I don't really think thats necessary either.

Before I give this to Eagle-Arrows to waypoint, do you see anything on the overview that is worth questioning.

The second map is ctf_Ayo, which I started today and got the basic layout done. Just want to see what you think and any suggestions. Obviously, I didn't start any scenery or spawn stuff. Hopefully, it's worth continuing the idea.

Thanks for the comments in advance
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Re: CTF maps in progress
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
Really nice shading style. lovin' it  ;D

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:15:21 pm »
Both of them are very nice maps.  Although I haven't seen many maps from you, I can easily say this is a great improvement from you.

For CTF_Rhombus, I think layout-wise, it's fine as it already is.  Poop pretty much would know what's talking about when regarding maps, pro-clanner that he is.

Shading is a bit weird, I'd make all of the lower parts of the map dark, applies to the platforms, out-parts, etc.  It's fine as it is if you're trying to achieve a retro-look.

For CTF_Ayo, from the size of the screenshot, I can't exactly tell, but I think those platforms will only serve for campers.  If this were my map, I'd remove all of those small platforms.  I'd make the sides of the top platform extend downwards to the sides of the map, offering spray cover.  I'd also make the platform in the middle larger.  And instead of having the curve downward, I'd reverse it and make it higher, like somewhat of half-a-circle.  You get the idea of how the shape should be like.

Visually, it's very nice, I like the unnatural shading and colors.

Date Posted: October 03, 2008, 08:02:19 pm
Sorry for the crap quality, I don't have any fancy tools for editing pictures except for Painter.

Hope this better explains my explanation above.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:28:15 pm »
el spec's suggestion is awesome.
your maps are kinda always-the-same-effect. in shading and in scenerys.
I know, when you don't use vegetation it's harder to make something different, but I think you can do it!
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 12:11:14 am »
Here's a possible layout change for the second map. It would make it more interesting and diverse, speed up gameplay, allow for quick route changes, and hopefully be fun. The Red and Green, are offensive and defensive routes (respectively) that you should make sure flow fast and exist in testing.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:40:20 am »
Okay, it's nice u got attention at last. About rhombus we've tested it twice. Map works pretty good there r no problems, BUT... it's boring. That's why cos: No specialties, map is big, map doesn't have curves that means good for autos, bad for m79 :(.

Ayo: Looks are ok, very simple, very nice, hopely u make good scenery also. About map I agree with Wraithlike except that poly island at bottom of flag shouldn't be vertically so big. Also I hope u would make more curves and corners to ur map. Atm map is super hyper good for autos... And btw leave the polys elspec suggested to delete, they make game more interesting for semiautos and singles.

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 05:22:08 pm »
I've found that although the maps don't have anything special about it, as long as it's small and provides fast gameplay, it has a greater potential for a fun map anyways. I tested Rhombus with 2 sets of people, where our group as a whole found it mediocre, whereas the other group found it satisfying. That is why I'm going to downsize it about 20% to speed it up even more.

As for Ayo, I might do a combination of Wraithe's and Spec's ideas. Spec's upward curviture of the middle poly can serve well to block spray. Although the islands provide spray, I was thinking you can hide behind your own islands and rush mid while reload. I think I might leave them. As for Wraithe's idea, I think it's a pretty good idea. I have those 4 triangular spray blockers top, but I might delete the 2 closest to base so it's m79 boost friendly. Also, this map is no bigger than the size of Ash.

Thanks for the ideas.

Date Posted: October 04, 2008, 02:11:00 pm
update
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:13:31 am »
Usually it's good option to set flags at edges of map and the player spawns near center. Like it is in ash, I believe that's the main reason why ctf_Ash is as fun as it is. Usually the thing which makes map boring is that player has to run 5-10 secs before he meets the enemy, best example will be b2b... The problem with "center spawn" is spawnkill, like it is in ash and it is at ayo, so u need to consider that a lot. Atm spawns doesn't have any cover and u will spawn everytime in the middle of enemy fire. I made u my suggestions and something I hope to see in ur maps in future.

If u agree with my curves make them with only a few polygons (so it will cornerous), cos many poly curved doesn't fit into this kind of unnatural theme.