Poll

Do you support this idea?

yes
6 (60%)
no
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: feature request: quoting locked topics  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
feature request: quoting locked topics
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:22:20 am »
Recently I wanted to quote a message from a locked topic. I found out that I must do it manually, because there were no "quote" button, and it was very inconvenient. Can quoting messages from locked topics be added in some way?

PS please vote.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:27:53 am by Gotfryd »

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: feature request: quoting locked topics
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:39:34 am »
Hmm.. when pressing 'quote' in any topic, it's preparing your post in that same thread. How would the quote know in which other thread to prepare itself?
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:41:57 am »
Maybe a popup window with the code you want? (just like spell check)
Text goes here...

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:47:17 am »
Hmm.. it's possible. Only it would have to not apply for normal quotations, since it would just be annoying. And the forum rules would have to be changed in order to fit it, so no one quoted bashing and flaming and stuff.

Anyway, I'm off to work. See you in the evening, children of the night.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:59:37 am »
Hmm.. when pressing 'quote' in any topic, it's preparing your post in that same thread. How would the quote know in which other thread to prepare itself?

I think it would be best it quote appeared in some pop up, like Laser Guy said.
I have also another idea, but I'm not sure whether it would work, because i don't know how exactly locking works. If locking is just disabling any buttons which can create a response to the topic, it won't work. But if locking is disabling the possibility to add new posts regardless of buttons which user may click, then quote could just prepare itself in that locked topic - user can copy it and paste where he wants, but he cannot post it in that locked topic since forum will not allow this.

Only it would have to not apply for normal quotations, since it would just be annoying.
Absolutely :)

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 07:01:18 am »
Anyway, I'm off to work. See you in the evening, children of the night.

It's da middle of the day here...

Anyways, the flaming topics posts should be unquoteable.

Edit: Sorry STM, my bad.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:49:06 am by Laser Guy »
Text goes here...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:16:29 am »
Ahh, that would be useful indeed. Besides, using the manual quoting is difficult because you can't easily make the quote direct to the exact message. F12.

You can take Laser Guy's idea (popup with the contents of the message shown)

Adnyes, the flaming topics should be unquoteable.

Flame threads can't be quoted? That's one suggestion I won't really agree to. Because in some threads, it could be a very good thread but got screwed up by flames, so in the midst of that thread there are some good posts which are quote-worthy.

Besides, flaming is considered breaking the rules. If there are any intentions of flaming by using the quote, the moderators can always take care of it.

But if this suggestion is to be taken, I'd say that it'd be better if moderators can choose to make some posts unquoteable if they think that post is inappropriate. I won't support being unable to quote one entire thread just because of one flame post.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 07:32:30 am »
Hm, why just don't delete these flaming posts?

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:47 am »

Flame posts need not be deleted to serve as an example and a good way for users to see and reflect on what is done and not repeat that in future. Also, moderators can conveniently look back at the flames posts for reference when considering whether a member deserves a ban/warning or not. It can also help moderators check why they gave the warnings in the past.

Necessary action may be taken to remove some parts of the post though, if those parts of the post are inappropriate to younger audiences or talks about hacking. It's only in extreme cases do you really need to delete them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:40:42 am by STM1993 »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:36 pm »
If you really need to quote a locked thread, you can just construct the quote yourself using the appropriate things in the quote tag as well as copying and pasting the content you need .

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 12:20:10 pm »
If you really need to quote a locked thread, you can just construct the quote yourself using the appropriate things in the quote tag as well as copying and pasting the content you need .

He's too lazy to do that, as suggested in the first post.
"I found out that I must do it manually, because there were no "quote" button, and it was very inconvenient."
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 01:40:46 pm »
Well, eventually I did this (constructed the quote myself using the appropriate things in the quote tag etc), but it took some time, especially finding out how date works and finding correct number. I'm sure some people won't be able to do it at all. Of course it is not a crucial feature and I won't nag you about it, especially if its hard to code.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 02:36:33 pm »
some douche who got some other topic locked:
I'm a douche who got this topic locked
^this guy is a douche

How is this not enough for you?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 02:51:06 pm »
I don't see any use of beeing able to quote closed topics. Most of them get closed for a good reason. Anyway I don't see why you would want to quote somebody from a closed thread without it being for something stupid.

OBEY!!!

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 05:01:40 pm »
I don't see why you would want to quote somebody from a closed thread without it being for something stupid.

Here goes an example. I quoted FLAB's post from this topic:
This "suggestion" has been added to the rules for this forum.
From the rules:
My final guideline is the most important - post your suggestion with a poll, if it's appropriate. This is a perfect way of indicating how popular your idea is. Also, try not to post your poll with lots of silly options - we're not trying to be funny here, we're making serious suggestions for Soldat. Making polls like this is asking for people not to take you seriously. A simple 'Yes' and 'No' will suffice.

And what if i'd want to quote just anything from forum rules? Topic with rules is locked!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:04 am »
Here goes an example. I quoted FLAB's post from this topic:
This "suggestion" has been added to the rules for this forum.
From the rules:
My final guideline is the most important - post your suggestion with a poll, if it's appropriate. This is a perfect way of indicating how popular your idea is. Also, try not to post your poll with lots of silly options - we're not trying to be funny here, we're making serious suggestions for Soldat. Making polls like this is asking for people not to take you seriously. A simple 'Yes' and 'No' will suffice.

And what if i'd want to quote just anything from forum rules? Topic with rules is locked!

^ Oh, in THAT case, you don't have to use that. Manual quoting is good enough, all you have to do is say its from the rules, because the rules button is just on top of the page and people can just conveniently click it.

Normal posts would be an exception. I can keep scrolling through and find it hard to just look for where the original quote is, especially if its in the midst of some large wall of text.

Also, people can modify what they quote.

Example (using one of Gotfryd's posts):

^ This is the original.

Quote from: Gotfryd
WHY SO NOT DELETE THOSE FLAMING POSTS ?!

^ People can just remove that link so there's no evidence where it really came from. And people have twisted the words to something that wasn't even written by the original poster.

People may take advantage of the quoting. A direct link to the message is good evidence (though if the user is quoting himself, he may modify that post).

Fortunately, I don't believe people here are really that idiotic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:45:43 am by STM1993 »

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 12:08:54 pm »
Fortunately, I don't believe people here are really that idiotic.

I hope so :)

btw, congratulations on reaching 1000 posts!