Author Topic: 800x600 Default Soldat Resolution  (Read 22238 times)

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
Re: 800x600 Default Soldat Resolution
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2008, 05:35:56 am »
I vote yes for this Im getting tired of the old one and also then its possible too see more of your kills ;D

Offline Jollygood

• Major(1)
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2008, 12:45:22 am »
Expand the screen to 720*540 so we can see 80 pixels wider and 60 pixels higher
Then from there increase the resoulution to 800*600 and allow for more detailed graphics.

The programmers themselves wouldnt have to change the graphics to add more detail but now any future graphics can be made better or mods can be made or something. Im not sure how the process works.

Now everyone's happy!

edit: I forgot this was the internet:

Now everyone gets whiny over the next few weeks/months/eternities and even though they know its better they dont want to admit it to give the impression that they are elitist, or "oldschool".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:17:25 am by Jollygood »

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2008, 04:12:57 am »
Imo 720x540 resolution is weird, and weird resolutions generally make things look ugly.
I don't think that we should change resolution to 720x540 first, and then to 800x600 with graphics being redone.
Either redo graphics right away, or do what ElephantHunter suggested at the beginning, or do nothing.

Btw, if graphics would ever be redone, do you agree that they should be redone in vector format, so the scaling problem would not exist anymore?

Offline Jollygood

• Major(1)
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2008, 04:36:04 am »
I actually meant do both upgrades at the same time but it was just easier to explain it stepwise. The jist of it is: go half and half.

Doing all the graphics in vector format would be very difficult.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2008, 05:06:46 am »

I saw many vector drawings much more complicated than Soldat gostek, so I'm not sure. However, I don't have experience in vector graphics.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2008, 02:27:30 pm »
seeing further would absolutely help gameplay, I feel like I'm blindfolded running around with such a tiny area of view. I do have proof that this would change gameplay because any change in view changes strategy.

And the balance wouldn't need tweaking it would need untweaking. The ruger kind of sucks and the m79 is broken, this would actually work to fix the balance we have now.

EEE is freaking sweet btw.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline tendulker

• Major(1)
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2008, 09:12:48 pm »

I saw many vector drawings much more complicated than Soldat gostek, so I'm not sure. However, I don't have experience in vector graphics.

I think he might have been talking about the process of implementing vector graphics into soldat, because it will, not actually making the graphics.

Offline Lt. Sprizz

• Major
  • I'm sorry if I offended you.
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2008, 04:43:55 pm »
I vote yes, but where's the poll?
"I am Jack's lack of surprise..." ~(Tyler Durden)
-=::SPOILER::=-
Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are the same person...:)
In-game: \Biz|Niz/

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2008, 08:19:15 pm »
I vote yes, but where's the poll?

agreed

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2008, 04:23:58 am »
I like polls too, but in this case should poll contain only original idea or also other things discussed (vector graphics support etc.)?

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2008, 11:10:59 am »
I think a poll just needs

*No change
*Bigger screen
*New graphics
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 06:35:39 pm by muzikman »

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2008, 07:21:03 pm »
seeing further would absolutely help gameplay, I feel like I'm blindfolded running around with such a tiny area of view. I do have proof that this would change gameplay because any change in view changes strategy.

And the balance wouldn't need tweaking it would need untweaking. The ruger kind of sucks and the m79 is broken, this would actually work to fix the balance we have now.

IIRC you are Ruger user and seemingly have no clue about what you are talking about.

There are people who have way better graphics skills than MM had when he drew the graphics, I am sure people would redo all the graphics if they had an sandbox version to experiment with.

Oh by the way, Pandora is better.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2008, 06:37:05 pm »

IIRC you are Ruger user and seemingly have no clue about what you are talking about.

There are people who have way better graphics skills than MM had when he drew the graphics, I am sure people would redo all the graphics if they had an sandbox version to experiment with.

Oh by the way, Pandora is better.

Sandbox?  You do know all the graphics are just stored in your soldat directory right

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2008, 06:57:34 am »
Sandbox?  You do know all the graphics are just stored in your soldat directory right

I think he talks about testing new graphics in-game, and that requires some sort of "sandbox" provided by devs if the resolution/file format would be changed (for example Soldat doesn't accept svg files, so you won't be able to see if they work properly).

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2008, 07:06:52 pm »
I see what you mean, but would that require completely re-doing how all the graphics rendering?  I can imagine the gosteks would be impossible to do without re-designing the whole graphics engine.  Much as it would be good, I just can't Personnally I can't imagine Soldat becoming a vector based game.  The only vecotr based games I can thing of are browser based flash games and I'd go for low res bitmap any day.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2008, 07:49:11 am »
I just can't Personnally I can't imagine Soldat becoming a vector based game.

Actually I think the difference wouldn't be that big in 640x480 resolution - gostek's height is only about 25 pixels in that res.
However, the difference would be noticeable in higher resolutions.

The only vecotr based games I can think of are browser based flash games

Aren't all 3D games made of polygons and aren't polygons more similar to vector graphics than to "pixel" graphics?

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2008, 09:25:19 am »
it's about decompressing, not redesigning the graphics engine. bmp doesn't have any compression, that's why it's used in soldat.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2008, 05:56:59 pm »
But pngs have compression and they are used in Soldat too. So it's not the compression that matters, I think.

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2008, 04:18:18 pm »
PNG is lossless compression though so effectively it's the same.  And I meant 2D games

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2008, 11:20:04 am »
PNG is lossless compression though so effectively it's the same.  And I meant 2D games
Polygons are more or less vector based as well. Vector based graphics work well in Teeworlds. Actually very well. ;) Does it look like "vector based" game?
Fight! Win! Prevail!