Author Topic: DM Blackout  (Read 621 times)

Offline Ekoz

• Soldier
  • WHAT? I can't hear you!
DM Blackout
« on: October 12, 2008, 02:57:05 pm »

my first ever deathmatch map...i really would apprecite any tips i can get on this one. i want my first DM map to be really good.
Maps o' mine

My Mappack
Alt_er

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
Re: DM Blackout
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:10:32 pm »
As far as I know, DM maps tend to play well because the gamemode is so simple.

Depending on the size, the map might seem cluttered.  And you should add a lot more spawns, I'd add one spawn point for every platform in existences, it help keeps the flow of the map smooth.

And I'm still waypointing your maps.  I've had a lot of other crap to take care of lately and the fact that I'm trying to perfect them as much as I can.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:28:42 pm »
Well, I tell you:

Polygon structure is crap, follow a pattern and copypaste it and then modify/split the polygons to get well shaded structures, read some tutorials around there if you don't know what I mean.

The map has no flow as I can see and it has some useless plataforms.

White shades too fast to black, and background color is disgusting, plus, you won't be able to see the bullets.

Don't refer initially to war style maps, you have almost no sceneries to make them, and you should make more concentrated action DM maps, while playing you don't want to go across all map following some nab that is hiding behind some poly.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 03:31:07 pm by ~Niko~ »

Offline Ekoz

• Soldier
  • WHAT? I can't hear you!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:04:55 pm »
thanks el for waypointing...
and about the spawns, i originally had 7, but for some reason you only spawned at just 2 of them, all the time.

niko, i do do some copy paste...i still dont get what you mean by structure. do you mean shape?

as for flow, it's got much better flow than most DM maps. you can make a complete circut around the outskirts of the map in about 13 seconds.  and with easy jump paths, you can get from one side to the other straight through in about 6 seconds, taking the middle path. i could open up another hole in the middle beam though, so there is one long path from the big island, through the middle of the two small islands, the aforementioned new break in the pillar poly, and through the semi circle formation. i think that would cut about 2 seconds off.

for the white to black ratio, that was intentional. ("blackout")

for the backround color, i guess i could change it...

the map is much, much smaller than any of my other maps. it's smaller than veoto, actually.

and i wasn't sticking with any "Scenery" style. i was just throwing a bunch of scenery together, and hoped it looked good. i know, i know, probably the dumbest idea of how to do scenery, but to my suprise, it actually didn't look half bad. could be better, but it could definitaly be a hell of a lot worse.

overall, thanks both of you for your comments, i will work on them and get back a new pic of the map.

Date Posted: October 12, 2008, 04:50:17 pm

hows this?
Maps o' mine

My Mappack
Alt_er