Author Topic: 1030 KB/S to 80 KB/S in 5 minutes  (Read 525 times)

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
1030 KB/S to 80 KB/S in 5 minutes
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:22:03 pm »
Okay, I got an issue with my wireless adapter, lately it's been going from 1030 KB/S to 80 KB/S (AKA, 1% Of Halflife2 EP2 every 5 minutes, isn't that nice?) While downloading games over steam, can somebody give me some enlightenment?
yey it dropped to 11 KB/S

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
Re: 1030 KB/S to 80 KB/S in 5 minutes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:44:03 pm »
Shitty isp would be my best bet. It seems with the service I use if I'm not around for a few days I can d/l at around 600kb/s, otherwise it can drop to 200 if I'm using it a lot,, silly huh. Possibly post what your isp is, what your wireless adapter is, and I'm sure their is more help.

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:14:34 pm »
This is what my Crappy ISP usually runs at

This is how fast I'm downloading things lately.

I get 84 kb/s for some reason on Steam though :|

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:25:08 pm »
If it's only with steam, It's either steam having some slower than usual upload speeds, or you have a poopy firewall or windows is semi-blocking the connection, giving you a slower speed.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:56:10 am »
Keep in mind that the speeds you're reading when the download first starts likely aren't very accurate.  Many applications don't have the best algorithms for determining download speed, and as a result the first few seconds of data suck.  You may want to get a third party program which will monitor your network status separately to see what your real download speeds are.

Are there other people in your house sharing your connection?  Are you sure they aren't uploading like crazy or something?  The high ping time makes me suspicious.

If you find me on IRC at some point, I can help you try to figure out what is causing this.

There is also a chance that someone near you got a new baby monitor, set of cordless phones, microwave or other device that is interfering.  you may want to go into your wireless router's configuration and set it to use channel 1 or channel 11.  Most home wireless devices default to channel 6, and if you live in a densely populated area you will be competing with them to get your signal through.  You only have to change it on your access point/router, your client devices will all automatically switch when they see the access point change.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:58:48 am by FliesLikeABrick »