Author Topic: "Profanity"  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
"Profanity"
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:04:08 pm »
Was the only kid in the world NOT raised in a bubble?  By that, I mean I was exposed to all kinds of things many parents back then (and now more so than ever), considered "inappropriate".  For example, I played all the "M-rated" games of the day, like Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, etc, while all the other 7 year olds were playing Hello Kitty and Smurfs or whatever...  I was doing that among other things that most kids weren't allowed to do because it was "inappropriate".

Anyways...  One of those things was that my parents decided to treat me like a adult, and teach me the proper names for body parts.  Yes those ones.  I wasn't calling it a "winky" or "peepee" at the age of seven.  Hell no!  I was calling it a penis.

Anyways.  I always thought that there was nothing wrong using the proper word as long as it was not used offensively (ie: zuck mah pehnis j00 noobenheimer) or used in the wrong place (ie: Shouting "penis" aloud in a restaurant).

Of course, for some reason, this is not the case with most people.  Every time I say the word anywhere with pretty much anyone, they get all offended as though I just dropped an f-bomb?

I simply don't understand why grown adults have a problem with the word still.  It's like not the 1920s anymore...

Anybody else understand what I speak of?   ???
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: "Profanity"
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:23:41 pm »
its the right word but its a silly word, and most people are uncomfortable talking about cocks.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:34:15 pm »
Treating a kid like an adult is not the right way to go in my mind(Not trying to offend here) Because its a kid, they have less understanding than an adult. I understand raising a kid to be mature, but giving it "adult" entertainment  is careless to me. If I misunderstood then correct me, don't want to disrespect your parents.

Anyway I don't really know people that snicker at the word penis, maybe your friends just suck. =/ My dad was an anesthesiologist so I knew all about the human body from very young. I was sheltered a bit, but that doesn't mean my parents were over protective. Just means there is a right time to learn about everything. Actually I wish I was more sheltered, its easier not to start bad habits than to kick them.
@ii

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:39:22 pm »
I was taught that "offensive" words are things that aren't funny or wrong- they're just words. Several years later I am a fairly well-spoken individual.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline The Goliad

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 10:07:42 pm »
(ie: Shouting "penis" aloud in a restaurant).

Ah, yes. The classic penis game. The object of the game was to yell "penis!" louder than the first person who went, and so on.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:18:55 pm by The Goliad »

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:17:26 pm »
its easier not to start bad habits than to kick them.

I hear that.

I was taught that "offensive" words are things that aren't funny or wrong- they're just words. Several years later I am a fairly well-spoken individual.

I dunno...I've just always figured that if you can say something inoffensively, why not do it? Look at old movies: some of them are just spectacular, and there's almost no profanity at all in them.  But these days, it seems like movies need to fulfill a certain quota or something...why?

I don't really have a problem with other people swearing in moderation, but I just choose not to do it myself.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 11:33:48 pm »
A penis is a penis is a penis.  People who can't handle the actual physiological name, well...that's their problem.  But that isn't profanity.  Now, other "profane" words, such as dropping the f-bomb and the like - that's just a question of restraint, restraint that should be exercised on behalf of the person speaking.

Gotta learn to read the atmosphere.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 11:58:27 pm »
I think the southpark episode:Le Petit Tourette  Season 11, Episode 8, would show why restraining sounds is needed. Although I do think people should be free to say what they please when they please, it's good to keep yourself in check.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 12:21:07 am »
Anyways...  One of those things was that my parents decided to treat me like a adult, and teach me the proper names for body parts.  Yes those ones.  I wasn't calling it a "winky" or "peepee" at the age of seven.  Hell no!  I was calling it a penis.
ehheehehe you said penis...

The only adults that have a problem with it are just not able to see that their children are old-ish enough to hear them.