Author Topic: Helmet and Kelvar + Pick up Grenades  (Read 2494 times)

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
Helmet and Kelvar + Pick up Grenades
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:21:25 pm »
How about adding Helmet and Kelvar as extra armour to support and protect the player even more. We have bullet-proof vest it would be good if we could have back up armour. Maybe we get it as a bonus or buy it seperately.

Another feature I would like to see added to soldat is, picking up other player's grenades. It hasn't been added yet, if they have a grenade lying on the ground you should be able to pick it up and use it. It makes it more realistic just like how we pick up their weapons.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Bolt

• Major
  • {MLP}
    • http://www.darkdemon.org/bolt/
Re: Helmet and Kelvar + Pick up Grenades
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »
Accidental pickups of the grenades would be too common and the main effect of grenades is the ability to throw at the enemy's feet. If they can pick it up that tactic is DEAD. Along with the expected update of grenade reload time, you could pick up mines (Time=999999, look it up if unsure).

And I think the bulletproof vest is enough. We don't need more powerups, it's hard to distinguish different powerups already, bulletproof is already helpful enough.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:24:54 am »
no, the nade hasn't been fired already, the enemy has just dropped it like in counter-strike source. It just sitting there on the ground and you can pick it up ready to be used.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Bolt

• Major
  • {MLP}
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:41:24 am »
Why would the player drop their grenade? They're used sparingly enough as it is...

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:11 am »
Go play CS, this is Soldat.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:48:01 am »
First idea is scriptable, if I'm not mistaken.  Second idea isn't really worth it.

Good thoughts though. 
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:16:24 am »
How about adding Helmet and Kelvar as extra armour to support and protect the player even more. We have bullet-proof vest it would be good if we could have back up armour.

You can already get helmets (though of course they don't protect you), and why would it be good to have more back-up armour? It's already slow enough to kill people in Normal mode as it is.

Maybe we get it as a bonus or buy it seperately.

You get the bullet-proof vest as a bonus. As as for the 'buying' thing, it could be scripted like The Geologist said, but I don't think it belongs in vanilla Soldat because this isn't CS-Source.

Another feature I would like to see added to soldat is, picking up other player's grenades. It hasn't been added yet, if they have a grenade lying on the ground you should be able to pick it up and use it. It makes it more realistic just like how we pick up their weapons.

As I've said in the grenade thread in the weapon balance forum, the main problem with nades is not the nade-spamming itself but the ability to regularly reload your nade supplies. Being able to pick up fallen enemy's grenades would make this problem even worse.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:38:14 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:47:25 am »
Too much COD4 and CS. The first idea doesn't need to be scripted! You can already get helmets and body armour! The second idea is silly though, the grenades have to short fuses anyway, it would slow the game down.

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:48:07 am »
Hmmm... are you suggesting maybe we can pick up nades from corpses?  Maybe limit this to corpses only, but they disappear once the corpses disappear because the nade is "strapped" to the man or something?
I dunno, maybe this alleviates the refill problem ;)
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:49:39 am »
you dont even understand what im saying Gnoblar you douchebag. What I'm saying is, when the opponent is dead say they have 1 grenade remaining and they fall on the ground say 50% of the time you can pick up their grenade whilst they havn't used it. Please read b4 u post, only douche bags like u do that

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:27:09 am »
Now, scarface09, don't get so pissed off.

Well, we already have vest as a bonus so we don't need even more armor. Buying it would be nice but that slows game down, perhaps a script will do.

And I think grenades in Soldat is VERY VERY versatile and powerful. I don't think we should get our hands on too much of those, which would turn Soldat into a grenade-throwing feast.

Read more posts in this forum and you'll know what kind of suggestions tend to be rejected, and which are more acceptable.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 05:14:15 am »
Nah guys dont be so cruel and rejecting this post...
Heres my idea for the helment..
In the game many players have helments,and when the helment is shot it fell off the head right ? so why wont make the helment protect a few bullets ? like if someone shoots you in the head with pistol or ak (with only 1 bullet) your helment will fall down from it but didnt made any damage to the head....
What i mean is Making the Helment Protecting the head (protecting from 100 damage)
something small that even a SUCCOm bullet can break it.
and for the nades...F11.
if you  want try to script it or so...but not as default
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 06:24:09 am »
In the game many players have helments,and when the helment is shot it fell off the head right ? so why wont make the helment protect a few bullets ?

Because then helmets would give people a pointless advantage. Might as well get some Snickers as a secondary weapon if you chose the Mr.T hair. ::)

I love my dreadlocks. I don't want to hide them under a helmet just to be that little bit more competitive. And as they say- Don't cut off your dreadlocks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:46:38 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 02:08:50 pm »
In the game many players have helments,and when the helment is shot it fell off the head right ? so why wont make the helment protect a few bullets ?

Well, I thought about it also. but...

I love my dreadlocks. I don't want to hide them under a helmet just to be that little bit more competitive.

And that's my opinion too.

Btw, that Snickers was funny, thanks for the link :P

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 02:14:22 pm »
But I'll be honest, the second one actually persuades me....
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 02:41:39 pm »
But I'll be honest, the second one actually persuades me....
when you are about to die, you throw all your nades, so it's pointless attempt to take them since there aren't, only lying on the ground, going to explode in ya face.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 05:22:47 pm »
dude...listen...the nades arent fired already!! They are just lying on the ground...the pin is still on the nade understand? When you pick the nade up you will hear a sound which indicates you picked up a nade thats ready to be used. It will be so cool and useful if you pick up nades that are just lying there...

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 08:11:36 pm »
I've suggested the, "Pick up grenades" thing before, it wasn't exactly embraced, so I'll just generalize the replies, lots of people said picking up grenades is to slow for such a "Fast paced" game like Soldat.

Kelvar is pretty much pointless, considering that we already HAVE vest pickups. Helmet wouldn't be really much of a factor if it did protect the player, since shooting the head only does about 4% more damage, and this is pretty unreliable anyways since Soldat has some of the worst hit detection in multiplayer games.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 08:38:16 pm »
The armour idea is redundant imo.

But this nade idea is persuading me too. Personally I think we should do away with nadekits and rely directly on how much youre given on spawn, and can harvest from corpses.

Nadekits are too easy to come by, and you have problems with infinite nade spam being possible. At least harvesting from corpses you actually had to do some hard work and kill a guy and are so rewarded with his supplies. Fallen comrades can also become advantageous to teammates, having that extra edge to balance the fight.

I think this comes from my recent Mission mod addiction, where survival often depends on what weapons you can harvest, also when an enemy is killed, you have a low chance of replenishing your nade supply or ammo.

If dead players left their entire stock behind instead of just their gun, i think things will only get more interesting.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Bolt

• Major
  • {MLP}
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 10:50:23 pm »
The armour idea is redundant imo.

But this nade idea is persuading me too. Personally I think we should do away with nadekits and rely directly on how much youre given on spawn, and can harvest from corpses.

That would promote spawn killing to achieve more grenades. Nadekits are a more obvious form of giving nades, for example in climbing you couldn't really take from corpses unless you have Bravo Dummys sitting at the points, which would be impractical and distracting.