Author Topic: Hit Detection  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
Hit Detection
« on: October 19, 2008, 01:11:24 am »
I has a question for a dev or admin or anyone who knows.

I once had been a frequent Soldateer (Soldaten, Soldater, Soldat?  w/e), however, that fact changed in 2006/2007 or so.  I seemed to stop playing overnight.
One of the reasons was that my clan died a slow and painful death...  Another one was the fact that I simply got sick of the Barrets and M79s...  I also sucked considerable balls at Soldat as a I moved past the age of 15.  But probably the biggest reason of all, was the simple fact that Soldat has some of the worst hit detection I've seen in any online game.

Seriously, half the time, I get LAW'd right in the face, and I just get pushed back.  Half the time, I will stab someone in the back with a saw, and it does nothing.  Doesn't even slow em down.  I found this kind of thing happening in EVERY server I went to.

So aside from the first 3 things, which aren't anything for you to worry or think about, can someone tell me:

Will Soldat's hitreg EVER improve?  1.5 maybeh?  If not, could someone explain why it seems to happen so often?

For Great Justice,
Brock
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
Re: Hit Detection
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:15:25 am »
Quote from Wikipedia:

Although the more logical explanation would be that Soldat uses unreliable UDP packets instead of TCP, and UDP does not guarantee that sent information will be received. The 'Hit' bug is still in version 1.3.1. As per version 1.4.1, 'hit' seems to have been improved upon, although is still known to happen.

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:18:18 am »
Ok, then why don't we use TCP instead?  Or is there some catch?
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 01:26:41 am »
Hello!

No idea if 1.5 will have improved hit detection (most likely the answer is no). And what causes it is... well, anti-lag code that isn't all too reliable, connection issues (packetloss etc) and generally having a bad ping to the server. Coding these things isn't all too easy either, I would reckon. ... Not that I really think Soldat's hit detection is that bad, but regardless. :)

Ok, then why don't we use TCP instead?  Or is there some catch?
UDP is a lot faster, as lost packets aren't retransmitted. If Soldat was TCP, you'd see a hefty increase in server-client latency.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:42:58 am »
I find so long as ping is constant and doesn't flick up, or down, and stays below 150 that it rarely happens. But I don't complain if I don't get killed, so its all good.

I'm still lost on the workings of TCP and UDP, can someone enlighten me?

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 05:16:37 am »
I'm still lost on the workings of TCP and UDP, can someone enlighten me?

http://tunnel.mrq3.com/explain/node2.html

Offline The Goliad

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:25:10 pm »
Welcome to Soldat.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 06:24:54 pm »
imo the hit registration is terrible. but it's a lot of work in the net code. so I'd suggest eC to work more on the net code than the other things ;).

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 01:05:48 pm »
hit detection is just extremely difficult to do over the internet anyway.
Just because your screen doesn't show that you've been hit doesn't necessarily mean the shooter didn't see you hit.  He's still deserve the kill, it just didn't show up as such on your screen.  no biggie.
The only problem I've seen is when both, the shooter and the victim saw it hit and the server didn't register such.  It happens.  IMO, the game is consistent enough for such a problem to be very well negligible.  Soldat rocks!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:49:33 am »
God, are people still going on about using TCP instead of UDP?
That shouldn't even be on the wiki as it would not be logical at all to use TCP, especially for a game like Soldat.

Although I imagine there are probably some slow-paced MMO type games that use TCP.

But yeh, this problem has been in Soldat forever. It seems like the netcode will be much improved in Berserker/Link-Dead though.
http://mm.soldat.pl/?p=202