Author Topic: Realistic/Survival; What is it?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Madchal

• Camper
Re: Realistic/Survival; What is it?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 06:41:26 am »
In pubs yes, there is a ton of camping. However, in Clanwars and Scrimmages, rushing is pretty much the entire game. The match mostly consists of ten 15 second rounds. It's like visiting a country and knowing the culture vs. living in it.

I have played clanwars and scrimmages against some of the more well known clans. Back in the day when DS was active i cw'd them with wg. We won but but there was a lot more standing back and spraying and slowness than I'd prefer. Later(when they were active) i've played against for example SEAL. but with a fake clan and nick. It was so slow and much standing back that my teammate started dancing with his soldat while singing in ventrilo. all without being bothered by the far away sound of spraying from the enemies side. 
   I like Ash in R/S though. Rushing and moving around is a lot more frequent there. than the other maps.

So yeah, all modes are good. As said, it's just a matter of taste.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 11:43:49 am »
From time I've seen the Real mode servers I sticked with it until now. It has got it's magic.

I like the real parts in 2D unreal game. (^.^)

Actually I can't really compare the noR and R but honestly I love R so much that I have no reason to change.

R/S Is fine with the tactic but too slow as many guys mentioned before me.

Realistic for win. ;)

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 03:02:12 pm »
I play almost exclusively realistic (without survival). I've tried R/S, but I've not get used to it yet, and it seems too slow for me now.

But as for the non-realistic mode, there is one very funny thing sbout it. After playing realistic only for so many years, I found non-realistic difficult because of lack of recoil! :P

And imo realistic is more fast-paced than normal, since it takes fewer shots to kill, and I like this.

Offline TD

• Major(1)
  • TD{W.N.P} 1v1, I'll take you.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 03:13:22 pm »
I've tried realistic once or twice, but I found it too difficult. Granted, I'd been playing for about a week when I tried it so maybe it wasn't a fair trial.

I think that perhaps I'll try it again, but I never seem to find any realistic games online...any idea why?
I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

-Stephen Roberts

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 03:42:11 pm »
I find few dozen of them always. Some are empty, but there is usually more then 50 players online, except between 4 am UTC and 12 am UTC (because its night in the USA and morning in Europe).
Try Leo's realistic servers (Leo's CTF, Leo's INF and others), they are good. Leo's server's website is here.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:44:27 pm by Gotfryd »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 08:13:40 pm »
Most people tend to mistake R and R/S. Realistic and Realistic/Survival are both played very differently. Common in both:

1. You kill enemies very quickly - but you die easily too
2. If you fall you lose health
3. You need to watch yourself for your vision is limited - you can't see whats behind you or a typical poly.
4. There is recoil in your weapons now.
5. You do not have super bonuses: Flame God, Berserker, Predator, Bulletproof Vest, Cluster Grenades.

Realistic:
There are still medkits and frag grenades spawning around, so players are not as worried about losing health or having no grenades since they can always refill it. Besides, when you die, you will always respawn again. Therefore, rushing is a lot more common.

Realistic/Survival:
Unlike R, you get nothing. Absolutely nothing. When you die, you can't respawn, until a new round starts. Since players cannot restock their health and grenades, they have to act VERY cautiously, and try their best to avoid being attacked. To do this, they have to see/attack their enemies before they can see/attack them. So long-ranged weapons are typically used, and it is possible to see a lot of spraying compared to R.

Personally, I dislike realistic games because of the recoil mainly, and if the maps have no or very little jets that's even more irritating, and sometimes its hard to gauge whether you are falling at a speed that isn't harmful and it makes stealth a bit harder. For R/S, in addition to what I said in R, it's also way too slow-paced - and too many people using long-ranged weapons since the close-ranged ones are kinda useless. It's a matter of personal taste.

Too bad there isn't a mode in between Realistic and Normal: similar to realistic but you don't receive damage from falling and the weapons have no recoil.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:17:59 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 08:49:54 pm »
Too bad there isn't a mode in between Realistic and Normal: similar to realistic but you don't receive damage from falling and the weapons have no recoil.

Funny you should mention that, because just the other day I was thinking that it would be awesome if you could instead of simply enabling Realistic mode, you could enable the individual elements of Realistic mode separately. For example, you have the Realistic check box when you start a game (would be different obviously for dedicated servers). But say you only wanted realistic sight in the game. You could check off "Realistic Sight" or whatever it would be called and leave the checks for "Recoil" and "Fall Damage" empty.

Actually, recoil can be changed in the weapons_realistic.ini but you get the idea.

tl;dr i made a pix

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:23:28 pm by Chariot »
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 12:56:56 am »
I thought about it also, and that could be a way to introduce ideas like limited ammo, who is liked by someone and disliked by another.
I am only worried if there wouldn't be too many possibilities (resulting in, for example, not being able to find a server you like).
Still, this idea is worth thinking about.