Poll

So, should this idea be implemented?

Votecounts should be visible! (yay)
15 (75%)
Let soldat stay as it is! (nay)
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Count votes public.  (Read 4480 times)

Offline D Unit

• Major(1)
Count votes public.
« on: October 24, 2008, 05:59:05 am »
I have a suggestion for 1.5...
When you call a vote, there should be counted the votes so everyone could see them.
Like, you vote for ctf_laos, when someone vote yes, there should be 1 under laos, and the number will raise when more people vote.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
Re: Count votes public.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:13:31 am »
I think that once everyone has voted, the console area should display the positive percentage (ie the % (or num players) supporting the vote).

This is more for map changes, but if the vote is successful, a prompt should display that the vote is being carried forward eg 'you will be warping to [map] in 54321'
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:46:13 am »
Eh, this looks very pointless, what does it matter how many people voted for the map? Many servers edit the percentage needed for vote(s) to pass, so this wouldn't help in any way.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:19:51 am »
Many servers edit the percentage needed for vote(s) to pass

Then percentage needed should also be shown.
F12, I support. It would be nice if it would show something like this:

map vote ctf_Laos
F12 - yes F11 - no
4 players voted yes (40%, 50% needed to pass vote)
3 players voted no (30%)

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:05:41 pm »
What does it matter though if you can't see who did F11 or F12? The percentage isn't going to change any. =/
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:45 pm »
Eh, this looks very pointless, what does it matter how many people voted for the map? Many servers edit the percentage needed for vote(s) to pass, so this wouldn't help in any way.

It's pretty usefull to know how ur vote is going.

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:18:07 pm »

It's pretty usefull to know how ur vote is going.

Well, I guess everyone has an opinion on it. Either way, this can be scripted, a climb server I used to occupy used something like this. :p
-Jamey Johnson

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 12:19:10 pm »
Knowing the % needed is always handy, and sometimes one is keen to know where the affirmative stand from it. You can know where votes are counting. Plus when it comes to kicking people, you can have that extra giggle when all players f12'd on the printscreen.

It makes the whole vote process seem less farcical when the entire status of it is displayed, and the result isnt just thrust upon you. Ergonomic design ftw
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:36 pm »
What does it matter though if you can't see who did F11 or F12? The percentage isn't going to change any. =/

I don't think we should see who voted, only how many people voted for yes and how many for no.
Why? Because we would like to know whether a vote failed because many people were against, or merely because no one voted.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 05:22:48 pm »
F12, it should have a count with a timelimit for voting - for example 30 seconds of voting.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:34 pm »
F12, it should have a count with a timelimit for voting - for example 30 seconds of voting.

I thought it already did that? Or do you mean time per person rather than the vote as a whole?

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 12:43:59 am »
Sounds somewhat like how Rock the Vote works in Team Fortress 2.

It shows percentage of votes for each map listed and the percentage needed on various other types of votes (a usual one is alltalk on or off).

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 09:12:41 am »
It's just like when you call a vote in Call of duty.

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 11:14:30 am »
Well, I guess everyone has an opinion on it. Either way, this can be scripted, a climb server I used to occupy used something like this. :p

I think the topic is for the built in votekick/votemap not the nifty little !nextmap in most climb servers :P

I F12 this because it helps let you know why the vote failed(no one voted or more voted F11)
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »
I F12 this because it helps let you know why the vote failed(no one voted or more voted F11)
voting f11 or not voting is the same

f12 for this anway

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 04:28:19 pm »
I f12 this because it makes it harder for hackers to hide, with their fancy anti-vote-kick measures.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 05:39:38 am »

I don't agree. Some people are "narrow-minded" (I don't mean by this that they're stupid, but when they focus on something (killing enemies for example), they hardly notice other things), so they don't notice vote at all and that's why they don't vote (vote "window" is realtively small).

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 10:14:23 am »

I don't agree. Some people are "narrow-minded" (I don't mean by this that they're stupid, but when they focus on something (killing enemies for example), they hardly notice other things), so they don't notice vote at all and that's why they don't vote (vote "window" is realtively small).

im just saying that, afaik, the server doesnt even know wether someone presses f11 or doesnt press anything at all, it only counts the f12 votes.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 11:31:43 am »
As far as Im aware, once a vote started, a timer will begin, and people must vote within that alotted time.

Once everyone has voted the timer ends, however if someone hasnt voted in that timeframe then their votecounts as  F11.

The game should imo differentiate between the 3 - positive, negative, and null. I know this shouldnt be a drama to program.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 11:42:17 am »
im just saying that, afaik, the server doesnt even know wether someone presses f11 or doesnt press anything at all, it only counts the f12 votes.

All right, now i understand what you wanted to say.
If you're right, then it'd be nice if game'd differentiate between F11 and nothing, as KYnetiK said.