Poll

Verify that players are using the same scenery as the server?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Scenery Verification  (Read 6005 times)

Offline MetalWarrior

• Major(1)
Re: Scenery Verification
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 11:50:58 am »
+1 soldat should remain mod able
This is referring to scenery in particular, not other mods.

Consider a map that uses scenery heavily. If someone modifies the scenery (essentially changing the map) they can gain a clear advantage.

Two people in exactly the same scenario only one with modified scenery:

There is, however, a clear technical argument against something like this. Just thought I'd bring this up again to get some more opinions.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 09:57:20 pm »
Soldat should remain moddable - there are reasons why I mod Soldat for my own preferences. But about scenery...

+1 soldat should remain mod able
This is referring to scenery in particular, not other mods.

Consider a map that uses scenery heavily. If someone modifies the scenery (essentially changing the map) they can gain a clear advantage.

Two people in exactly the same scenario only one with modified scenery:

There is, however, a clear technical argument against something like this. Just thought I'd bring this up again to get some more opinions.

At the same time, I've once played a map, whereby they actually put explicit pictures in them, and I found that very violating. So I edited away THAT scenery. If this system were to be made, it's gonna force us to see stuff we don't wanna see. Or perhaps I only wanted to change the colour of the grass from green to blue, nothing more.

Also, editting the scenery is actually a double-edged sword, not a 100% advantage. You can see others hiding, but if you wish to hide in the scenery, you're gonna have problems hiding because you may end up hiding in a position where you can be seen and you don't even know it. You also cannot really find/see crates which you can use to avoid bullets or have grenades thrown to them to create an instant explosion. Besides, it's gonna kill away some elements in Soldat.

I strongly detest the modifying of sceneries, but there are also disadvantages to modifying the sceneries, and the method to check the sceneries may be complicated.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:01:44 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 02:41:13 am »
STM, someone can change opacity only: that way he would see others through that scenery, but at the same time he would know where scenery is (and so he would be able to hide effectively).
But I see your point.
I think it'd be best to have the ability to change background scenery, and not being allowed to change scenery behind which players can hide (like Niko said).