Author Topic: Download maps and/or sceneries when your playing, not when you exit.  (Read 2642 times)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
We all know that it's REALLY annoying when you exit the game and lost the really good team you were on and now you have to go on the loser team, or if the script on the server doesn't yet have a script to recognize your IP or a /save /load function (the old spasmans) and you lost all your money.

Well I think this is an idea that really needs to be implemented, if you've ever played Worms: Armageddon or Worms: World Party (havent played Worms 2, so i dunno if thats the same) even though it doesn't have the same "dedicated servers" thing, you still download the map BEFORE you play not in-between, and if the game has 2 or more rounds everyone goes to the join game screen and downloads the map, then everyone "lights up" after the map is downloaded saying they are ready and then the host starts the game, it doesn't kick you if you don't have the map.

Now, I'm not saying Soldat should be the same way, since these are 2 completely different games since Worms doesn't go by the "server" stuff, but the main goal is to download the  maps and scenery BEFORE you ever get to the map, there's 2 ways to do this:

1. The client sends the server for the mapslist, it see's, "Oh, we are on ctf_Ash, the next map is ctf_ZeroPoint, I don't have that map, lemme download it along with the sceneries that go with it.". Something like that, so while you are playing it will be downloading the maps and sceneries along with it.

2. After 1 "round" or game is finished, you go to another screen where everyone that doesn't have the map downloads it, while the others wait. When everyone has the map they do some motion, maybe a checkmark or a light(?), saying they are ready, when everyone has light up the game starts like normal.

Downsides: If someone has dial-up and is taking a long time they have to wait or vote kick that person, which also takes a long time and by that person is kicked they've already downloaded the map and light up >.>. Also you have to take a "break from the action", which some might not like. So I still think number 1 is better though.

Another reason to F12 this is, not only because you get kicked, but because this can FINALLY open the way to TRIGGERS! I explain this for each option below:

Option 1: When a trigger is set off (through scripting procedures), it downloads the scenery and the scenery CHANGES, walaa! So, lets say you "stand" on a button (which is a scenery)(to "stand" there will have to be a way to keep that player in place, I will make another topic with those details, or if that's not possible, maybe an explosion or you keep teleporting there?), the script core detects that you are near X spot (you'll have to script a spot for each map though, since i don't think Soldat will ever know if your near a scenery without re-writing Soldat alltogether) and it replaces that scenery with the new on on the server, then it tells the server to download that scenery to the client and walaa it's a new scenery, the button can "press down" by animated .gifs (which will be available in the net version) and then a NEW scenery will be transferred to the client with it just standing like it's "pressed".

This is so genius because if another person is in the same "area" or server, then they can't see that the button is pressed because they don't have that scenery yet, but if you are on top of the button you might look werid because your standing inside the scenery and if you go on it you'll be on top, but that is a very small minor issue anyway.

Option 2: All of the scenery files that the server tells the client to download will be downloaded when they are on that "waiting or intermission" screen. So sceneryB can be downloaded along with sceneryA although you won't see sceneryB yet, you only see sceneryA, then when the server tells the client to switch, then it switches. Now although there was a downside last time, this time it has a proside, because the change is instant, and on option 1 if someone has dial-up and the scenery is big, the time in-between the scenery might just look like that black stuff (what you see when there is no scenery there), and that might look werid, plus cause problems with the server, because the server is expecting it to change almost instantly and here it is taking 10 seconds. This is why, I like this way better also.

So there is a toss-up between the 2 options but, I think this can be done. What do you think? Should it be implemented and if so, which option?

test test test test test test test test test
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:14:48 pm by miketh2005 »
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Re: Download maps and/or sceneries when your playing, not when you exit.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:56:48 pm »
if I played on publics I wouldn't want my maps folder and scenery folder get full of crap (which they would be if my client downloaded all the costum maps).

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:12:19 pm »
1. The client sends the server for the mapslist, it see's, "Oh, we are on ctf_Ash, the next map is ctf_ZeroPoint, I don't have that map, lemme download it along with the sceneries that go with it.". Something like that, so while you are playing it will be downloading the maps and sceneries along with it.

I like this. Good idea.

Unfortunately, i didn't understand second part of your post...
And I'm afraid your post is too long. Many people will not read it because of that :(

if I played on publics I wouldn't want my maps folder and scenery folder get full of crap (which they would be if my client downloaded all the costum maps).
I don't see how this is connected to miketh's idea. First, it doesn't matter when you download a map - it will be in your maps folder anyway. Second, i think this addition would be optional and so you could turn it off if you want.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 05:11:17 pm »
I would like it if it downloaded while you were playing, specifically:averaging you d/l speed and capping the map d/l speed if you have slow connection so you don't lag during gameplay, and if it was an option, since If I don't want something downloaded, I don't want it to be automatic. Or possibly a line to the console telling you that there is a new map, and to download now type /dl or something of the like. Overall like the basic idea.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 05:17:59 pm »
I found a way to get around the downside of option 1, it can download the scenery BEFORE you even get to the trigger, that way it can be INSTANT like option 2...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:55:53 pm »
Unfortunately, i didn't understand second part of your post...

We all go to a new screen like this:

When everybody is ready (you turn ready after you downloaded the map and scenery), it starts the next game on the map you just downloaded.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:58:49 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:35:36 pm »
Downloading while playing - lag. Ever played against torrenting pole czech? ;d
Triggered downloads - ... forces players to stand in one place, and what would happen when they're being shot?
Waiting for everyone - depends on others' connection, and I wouldn't like to wait 5 mins because 1 guy is downloading a map.

f11f11f11. Current system is ok.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:00:26 pm »
Yeah I agree with Ziem. Lag would increase if you dl a map while playing, and lag is bad. mmkay

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:13:30 pm »
Guys, you know there is a Voting system...if you don't want to wait, kick him.

EDIT: Hmm, I got an idea! You download the map on the new screen like usual, but when your finished, you go into the game, you wouldn't have to wait for the other people!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:15:26 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:16:09 am »
well why instead of dl-ing a single map, not download the full map pack which runs on the server
not including in this climbing servers, its too much of maps

and there is a problem with dl-ing the map
you dl fully buts someone votes an another map, you will play with the dl-ed map, and get wrong map detected error
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:04:17 am »
Imo if a player (and server also) have good bandwidth (for example 3Mb/s, i have such), downloading map slowly (not at max speed, so only a small part of bandwidth would be used) shouldn't cause lag.
So, if it wouldn't cause lag, F12. If it would, F11.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 04:22:09 am »
I just dont feel it's necessary. Fine as it is. End result just doesnt justify the effort  to make it happen.
F11
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:30:15 am »
well why instead of dl-ing a single map, not download the full map pack which runs on the server
not including in this climbing servers, its too much of maps

and there is a problem with dl-ing the map
you dl fully buts someone votes an another map, you will play with the dl-ed map, and get wrong map detected error

Good point, if some voted a map, in that case, you would have to exit to download or use option B. If it would cause lag, option B is better, but as Gotfryd said if you dl slowly, it shouldn't lag, if your on dial-up you lag already xD so they should just disable it (if we go with option A then if he disables it, it will just exit like normal), or go with Option B (where you sit downloading like you usally do, but you don't have to press joingame everytime).

Option C! My friend Rampage, brought out that there can be animated image "sets" so 1 image can have like 10 differnt sets and the the server can tell which set to change to. Since the client only generates the map once, the server can tell the client to "refresh". I don't exactly know how these "sets" would work or how it's possible, but he can come here and explain.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:41:29 am by miketh2005 »

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 04:35:40 am »
I just dont feel it's necessary. Fine as it is. End result just doesnt justify the effort  to make it happen.
F11
If you find it "fine" to always exit to download a map, ESPECIALLY on climb servers, and you don't feel like downloading the map pack (this would also leave mappacks unnessary except for server owners), and you have to exit every 10 minutes, and you also don't like the idea of making Soldat more moddable, (My friend brought out that alot of cool things can be done with this.) then, you, IMHO, shouldn't even be on the "Game Improvements / Suggestions" forum, since alot of these deal with making Soldat more moddable, and fix problems players have problems with. everyone has their opinion, but I would like to know why your so against this?

EDIT: We need the auto merging posts mod on this forum. >.>

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 04:55:13 am »
If you find it "fine" to always exit to download a map, ESPECIALLY on climb servers, and you don't feel like downloading the map pack (this would also leave mappacks unnessary except for server owners), and you have to exit every 10 minutes, and you also don't like the idea of making Soldat more moddable, (My friend brought out that alot of cool things can be done with this.) then, you, IMHO, shouldn't even be on the "Game Improvements / Suggestions" forum, since alot of these deal with making Soldat more moddable, and fix problems players have problems with. everyone has their opinion, but I would like to know why your so against this?

Look, just because you dont want to accept my negative opinion, doesnt mean you can go around telling people where they do and dont belong. Making the assumption that, because I find this idea unnecessary, I have no interest in modifying or improving Soldat, is illogical, narrow minded, and laughable.

I dont have a problem with the way things are now. Whats the worst that happens to me? I go back to the lobby, and i hit join again. For me, this is no drama, I do not find this an inconvenience. Sure i might curse under my breath now and then, but it doesnt make me want to remodel the engine.

My reasoning is simplicity. Like I said, I dont find it terribly inconvenient to click Join, take a leak, and come back to my machine. To rectify this unfathomable "incovenience",  would involve a great reshape of the engine, and IMO is more likely to create more problems getting that right, than it cost me to hit Join Server again and take a leak.

Yes I do see how it can be of great use in many script ideas, but I feel it will take more issues to get to that point than its really worth. Thats my 2 cents, youre not obliged to buy anything with them.

Therefore, IMO, this is unnecessary.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 05:53:54 pm »

Look, just because you dont want to accept my negative opinion, doesnt mean you can go around telling people where they do and dont belong. Making the assumption that, because I find this idea unnecessary, I have no interest in modifying or improving Soldat, is illogical, narrow minded, and laughable.

I dont have a problem with the way things are now. Whats the worst that happens to me? I go back to the lobby, and i hit join again. For me, this is no drama, I do not find this an inconvenience. Sure i might curse under my breath now and then, but it doesnt make me want to remodel the engine.

My reasoning is simplicity. Like I said, I dont find it terribly inconvenient to click Join, take a leak, and come back to my machine. To rectify this unfathomable "incovenience",  would involve a great reshape of the engine, and IMO is more likely to create more problems getting that right, than it cost me to hit Join Server again and take a leak.

Yes I do see how it can be of great use in many script ideas, but I feel it will take more issues to get to that point than its really worth. Thats my 2 cents, youre not obliged to buy anything with them.

Therefore, IMO, this is unnecessary.

Don't forget you losing your team and player slot, and by the time you finish dling, another map is on and you get a Wrong Map error, then repeat the proccess all over again.