Author Topic: #Soldat.Mapping Maptest Reports, make reply to take part in.  (Read 779 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
#Soldat.Mapping Maptest Reports, make reply to take part in.
« on: November 02, 2008, 06:10:01 am »
ctf_Marionette

Match: 4on4 ctf

Gameplay report: Map worked nice. It would have been better in 5on5 or even 6on6. There are a lot of routes and that's the reason why map need a lot of players. Playing 3on3 would be hard and messy.

At big 5on5 cw this map would be great. The big default maps: Maya B2b got problem that they are too easy to defend in 5on5, but Marionette doesn't have that problem.

Tecnical issues: Some player got problems with fps. There are dozen of lights, they are probably the reason for problems.

Reported by SuoW
_________________________________________________ __________

ctf_Smuggle

Match: 3on3 ctf

Gameplay report: The battles focused on bottom routes near the flags. Bottom route felt narrow, there were usually 2on2 at those tunnels under mountain, especially the entrances to flag were narrow. Otherwise the bottom was nice and unigue made route. At first I was a bit sceptical cos bottom didn't look so smooth but then you usually flied over the corners.

It took some time to think why there are polyislands at top of bases. They were tactical places cos attacker at top could go there and camp and get defenders attention.

All in all map worked nice and it's probably the best at 3on3. It played fine but it could have been better with some fixes.

Tecnical issues: Bottom route is very cornerous, when player collides on corner, it might bounce him.

Reported by SuoW
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:02:35 am by Suowarrior »

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
Re: Maptest report: ctf_Marionette, ctf_Smuggle
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:56:33 am »
I absolutely adore CTF_Marionette, without a doubt it's Wraithlike's best work.  The layout is so cleverly designed that camping and spraying is almost impossible yet it doesn't affect gameplay in a negative tone.

I did experience some stuttering when testing it with FPS.  The lights don't seem to have effect on FPS, it's the polygons from the outer-parts of the map, open it in Polyworks and you'll see what I mean.  Polygons that tend to be more than a screen large will lag badly for some reason.  You really can't do anything about this though as those polygons are necessary to prevent players warping out of the map and so the flag can be returned to base quickly if it falls loose.  Players with older systems are out-of luck here.

For CTF_Smuggle, I figured that the lower route will be un-smooth to move through.  There really isn't a reason, but the platforms at the top are mainly used for camping and defensive reasons.  Nonetheless, I'm currently re-making this map along with CTF_Vicissitude.  CTF_Smuggle will arrive first.

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
Re: Maptest report: ctf_Marionette, ctf_Smuggle
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:37:58 pm »
I liked Marionette because it was so many ways too go but still I sometimes dont like when its too open.