Author Topic: US Civil War mod  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
US Civil War mod
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:20:19 pm »
Anyone remember this? Well, after more than a year of sitting on this, I have decided to take a more serious stance on this mod.

The Spencer Rifle that you now see, and that Navy Revolver: those are not mine. They were made originally for this mod by Kevin. The - now Springfield Musket - that was the old Spencer Rifle, but now has more contrast, and the barrel portion has been slimmed and shortened. 

The Benchrest Longrifle: that is simply a combination of the Spencer Rifle and Springfield musket. Lately, I haven't had any internet to snag reference pictures from, so I made the Longrifle from memory. It's manipulated a bit, so it isn't an exact combination of the two other guns.

For the in-game weapon-gfx, thing look decently accurate to their said descriptions. The Benchrest Longrifle is bigger, but shorter than the Rifle and musket. The musket is the longest gun. The Rifle is distinct in its own appearance.

I would elaborate on ^^ some more, but I am a little short on time.

For the balancing of the three current guns:

+  The Spencer Rifle is a six-shot weapon (I believe), but is weaker in damage than the other two guns - 3 shots for the body, or 1 shot to the head and to the body.

+The generic Benchrest Longrifle was the 'sniper' of the war, so it's accurate when crouching, but not when moving (because it's a heavy gun) - 1 shot to the head, or 2 to the body.

+With the Musket, this thing fires round balls, so getting hit with one of these bullets does some real damage (at least in real life) - 2 shots to kill all around (or 1 shot with this Musket, then quickly pull out your Navy Revolver for another 1 shot = kill)

When finished with the weapons portion of this mod, I mean for a rather heavy reliance upon your secondary weapon (whatever your choice may be), since in the actual war, you would fire twice, then basically bayonet-fight from your enemies from there.

There actually was one style of shotgun in the US Civil War, but it wasn't very reliable (yay! makes it easier to balance with the rifles!). Expect a shotgun to come around shortly. For the cannons, I'll use Howitzers (or just the generic artillery 'gun').
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:19:56 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: US Civil War mod
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:34:39 pm »
This is a realistic mod btw..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:29:44 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:04:00 am »
Good one Blacksheep

I don't like a lot 'old war' mods, but that one is great, shapes are well done, and the same with shading.

You will make more weapons? Or in US civil war they just used those ones?

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:26:12 pm »
The weapons that were used in the war were basically just improvements of the same gun, over and over again, with a few variations (longer range/faster reloading etc).

Some people experimented with new ideas (shotgun etc), but not too many  were successful at the time. They did make a machine gun, but it took three people to man, so I'll but it as the LAW replacement.

Offline Deadeye Rob

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:29:01 pm »
I rather like muskets and flint-lock rifles ever since i played Fable II and watched the Napoleonic drama 'Sharpe' Im working on a general flint-lock musket to replace the sniper, its not going to be historically accurite however!!  :P