14 (23%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Voting  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Sticky

• Major
  • Toot toot
Re: Voting
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 12:36:51 pm »
I sent Obama a £20 note and he sent me back £20 in 10p coins.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 01:01:56 pm »
what the hells wrong with abortion
imagine if abortion was illegal..

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 01:35:19 pm »
Funny, after Obama was elected as the next president, the stock rise up about was it 300%? then it decreased 500%... I guess stocks are still in trouble
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 03:33:30 pm »
Funny, after Obama was elected as the next president, the stock rise up about was it 300%? then it decreased 500%... I guess stocks are still in trouble

what?
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 05:58:33 pm »

what?

http://finance.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chdet=1226001360000&chddm=2033&q=INDEXDJX:.DJI&ntsp=0

The decline starts immediately after Obama was declared President elect.  Obviously correlation != causation, but it's still kind of interesting.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:00:19 pm by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 06:01:55 pm »
I know what the stock market is, thanks though.

I don't understand what point he's trying to make.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 07:03:13 pm »
I think he was saying that Obama promised to improve the economy, which makes the stock market decline somewhat ironic.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 07:06:47 pm »
But he's not even president yet.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 09:12:09 pm »
I think he was saying that Obama promised to improve the economy, which makes the stock market decline somewhat ironic.
He sure is a great mind reader. Thanks mate! :D
It's just something I noticed when I somehow turned a random channel that shows stocks.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »
He sure is a great mind reader. Thanks mate! :D
It's just something I noticed when I somehow turned a random channel that shows stocks.
And it has absolutely no significance whatsoever because as Chariot said, HE'S NOT PRESIDENT YET. (Therefore the economy and him are completely unrelated)
what the hells wrong with abortion
imagine if abortion was illegal..
if abortion was illegal then people would be held accountable for their actions, and would possibly think about the consequences of them before going out and having unprotected sex.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:15 pm »
The stock market drops like that nearly every election. It's just the people's uncertainty about a new president.

Or something like that.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 10:08:32 pm »
if abortion was illegal then people would be held accountable for their actions, and would possibly think about the consequences of them before going out and having unprotected sex.

What about women who are raped? They don't necessarily have actions to be accountable for (at least not the ones you described).
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 11:07:39 pm »

What about women who are raped? They don't necessarily have actions to be accountable for (at least not the ones you described).
I am very torn on the issue of woman in this situation. The murder of a fetus is a horrible act, however forcing a woman to carry the product of a rape is also a horrible thing to do.
If I had to choose on this I'd say make it legal as long as it's within a certain period of time after the rape happens.

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 11:18:10 pm »
* n00bface is a fiscal conservative who is happy that Obama won the election.

I otherwise voted republican for senate, and congress.

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 01:11:32 am »
I said screw that noise.

Politics are one big steaming pile of BULLpoo. People will say whatever they want to get elected. Nobody can really do anything to make sure they stick to it. Most of politics is making your opposition look bad by either making up lies entirely or horribly twisting the facts. I didn't know much about either Obama or McCain, and I didn't plan to try and find out. If I would have decided to vote, though, it would be for Obama, based on what I did hear. I really don't care either way. I think it's funny how people who went with McCain think the world is going to end now or something. By the way, Bush was doing a crackerjack fucking job. I can't imagine anybody being worse.

Our votes don't really mean a whole lot, though, and that's also part of the reason why I don't care about politics. You can have more people vote for you, yet still lose the election, which makes no goddamn sense.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:15:58 am by Magus86 »

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 01:35:35 am »
I said screw that noise.

Politics are one big steaming pile of BULLpoo. People will say whatever they want to get elected. Nobody can really do anything to make sure they stick to it. Most of politics is making your opposition look bad by either making up lies entirely or horribly twisting the facts. I didn't know much about either Obama or McCain, and I didn't plan to try and find out. If I would have decided to vote, though, it would be for Obama, based on what I did hear. I really don't care either way. I think it's funny how people who went with McCain think the world is going to end now or something. By the way, Bush was doing a crackerjack fecking job. I can't imagine anybody being worse.

Our votes don't really mean a whole lot, though, and that's also part of the reason why I don't care about politics. You can have more people vote for you, yet still lose the election, which makes no goddamn sense.

So...you say that people can say whatever they want to get elected, but you would vote for someone just based on what you heard?

Do us all a favor and never vote.  That is, until you can do some actual research and dig up facts about candidates and their political histories.  These are things that can't be smeared by mudslinging if you take the time to understand them properly.

Then again, it's not like you should take any interest in voting for the future of the country you live in.  That also means you chose not to vote for the people sent to congress to represent you, as well as the judges in your state, various amendments that have an impact on taxes, industry, etc., and so on.  Heaven forbid you take a stance.

But on the upside, it means you just lost any chance to gripe about politics for the next four years.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:37:18 am by The Geologist »
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2008, 01:55:09 am »
No, I wouldn't vote for anybody based on a tiny bit of information I've heard, which is the main reason why I didn't vote and why I won't vote.

"Do us all a favor and never vote," huh? I wasn't planning on it in the first place...

Actually, no... I did not lose any chance to gripe about politics for the next four years. Allow me to quote the great George Carlin:

"I don't vote because I believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around, I know. They say "Well, if you don't vote, you have no right to complain." But, where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent people, and they get into office and screw everything up, well then you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem. You voted them in. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who, in fact, did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain as loud as I want about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with. So, I know that a little later on this year you're gonna have another one of those really swell presidential elections that you like so much. You'll enjoy yourselves. It'll be a lotta fun. I'm sure as soon as the elections are over, your country will improve immediately. As for me, I'll be home on that day, doing essentially the same thing as you. The only difference is when I'm finished masturbating, I'm gonna have a little something to show for it, folks."

I think that just about sums it up.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Conductor.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:58:11 am by Magus86 »

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2008, 02:08:02 am »
As much as I love Carlin, that's a standup routine.  Spot on in some aspects, stretched reality in others meant for laughs.

Aside from the various assumptions tossed out in that little bit (which was from when..?  70's?  80's?  Later?), it neglects the fact that you could have voted for the other candidate who didn't manage to screw everything up.  You could have put the better man into office, but you didn't even try.  Regardless, if you didn't take any action then you shouldn't have any say.  And if you had read through what I wrote, you'd see I was referring to a lot more than just the president elect.

But hey, that's fine.  You can't even be bothered to do a little research in the first place.  More power to ya, I guess.  Lord knows I love people who bitch and complain without taking any action.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 02:14:08 am »
You were talking about the politicians in that last sentence. We have gone full circle.

Stereotype, I know, but it's such a drag in the long runs and the several youtubed videos I've heard of candidates promising something that seems about as realistic as putting kool-aid in the water fountains at school.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 02:20:14 am »
...what?  Full circle?

If you're referring to me, the research I'm referring to doesn't just deal with politicians, as there's more on an electoral ballot than just voting for one politician over another.