Author Topic: be on the lookout for broken attachments  (Read 2149 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
be on the lookout for broken attachments
« on: November 05, 2008, 04:38:32 pm »
As some of you may have noticed, the forums have become unresponsive a handful of times over the past week.  Something on the webserver was causing Apache procesess to gobbel up CPU and I could not find out why until today.  It appears that at least one particular attachment was causing that Apache process to hang and eat CPU.

I have yet to figure out why that is, but I'm taking the testing into a VM to see if I can replicate it on a brand new copy of SMF 2.0b4. 

The symptom from the client site was this: the user clicked on the attachment download link, and it'd say 'waiting for forums.soldat.pl' but the download window would never come up in the browser.  So then Googlebot or a user would hit the link and eventually these crashed CPU-sucking Apache processes would eat more and more system resources.

I need to know if there are any other attachments like this.  If any of you see suspicious behavior with particular attachments, please let me know ASAP.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
Re: be on the lookout for broken attachments
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:42:14 pm »
Is clicking on a download link the only way to see if an attachement is "broken"?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:03:10 pm by Laser Guy »
Text goes here...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:57:54 pm »
Yes

edit: found another one
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 06:02:46 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:08:56 pm »
Flies, I think a problem I had could also be related to this because it happened ever since the forums were changed to new:

Sometimes, I don't know why, when I open a new window in the site (I tend to open quite a lot of windows), they may all of a sudden ask me to download a "index.php" file, instead of viewing the page I want.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:10:23 pm »
Flies, I think a problem I had could also be related to this because it happened ever since the forums were changed to new:

Sometimes, I don't know why, when I open a new window in the site (I tend to open quite a lot of windows), they may all of a sudden ask me to download a "index.php" file, instead of viewing the page I want.
What's your browser? IE?
There are other worlds than these

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:17 pm »
I use Mozilla Firefox, version 3.0.3

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 11:14:05 pm »
I use Mozilla Firefox, version 3.0.3
Oh. That's odd. Can you please post the url's to the pages that are doing this for you?

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 11:43:41 pm »
It happens randomly to any page for some reason. The index itself, the Grenade weapon balance thread... it's completely random.

Anyway I got a screenshot of it, which happened in the index itself when I was refreshing the page:

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:59:09 am »
It happens randomly to any page for some reason. The index itself, the Grenade weapon balance thread... it's completely random.

Anyway I got a screenshot of it, which happened in the index itself when I was refreshing the page:
I've got an idea: try reuploading your avatar.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:50:28 am »

That would only be happening because something is sending data to the browser before the Content-Type header has been sent (i.e. an error occured).
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:13:16 pm »

That would only be happening because something is sending data to the browser before the Content-Type header has been sent (i.e. an error occured).

That is not correct.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 05:06:22 pm »
if by "unresponsive a handful of times" you mean "gone for days at a time" then I guess you're correct.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 05:18:48 pm »
if by "unresponsive a handful of times" you mean "gone for days at a time" then I guess you're correct.

if by "a-4-year-old" you mean "I am prone to exaggerate greatly", then yes.

It was never down for more than 4 or 5 hours while I was either asleep or away from the computer for a long period of time. 

The problem should be avoided for now, I am working on a permanent solution.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 05:26:40 pm »

The forums were never offline more than a day, not even 5 hours. You probably just have been unlucky and tried to access them while they were down.
Text goes here...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 06:49:16 pm »
I've got an idea: try reuploading your avatar.

Just did it today, will check if the error happens again. So far nothing, and I gotta rush off.