Author Topic: pootie  (Read 645 times)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
pootie
« on: November 08, 2008, 09:20:29 am »
(click to enlarge)

Half of the frame done, half to go. Heading for almost symmetric layout because it's more kwl than a symmetric one. ptff

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Re: pootie
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:17:57 am »
Looks fine, I like the center design.

The bases are like lanubya and the problem is the same, it's easy block enemies getting base. The problem spot: http://i35.tinypic.com/2iizsj8.png

The map looks nice, the style reminds Boxo's ctf_Bassaliens and ctf_Aamu.

You are probably using mapmaker? As u probably know, polyworks would be a lot better with symmetrical ones (also the ones that are almost symmetrical). 1) Less job to do 2) there won't be advantages to any team 3) It will be boring to try keep balance.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:42:45 am »
Tanks for the feedback!

The picture you have, do you mean that I should open the routes up a bit so the enemy could flow in more smoothly?

Last time I used the real mapmaker was like back in 90's 8)
I sure know you can mirror the map in PW, and I've done it quite a few times yea. The problem is that nowadays I find it a bit lame, even if I usually fail with the balance hehe. You shouldn't always use the easiest way, should you? I'm making these maps because I like to spend time with them, so I don't see a problem in doing the whole map one poly at a time. The quickest way isn't always the best option methinks.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:07:18 pm »
Well this solution came my mind http://i35.tinypic.com/28svi11.png

It might feel lame, but it really isn't. I think it's also very pointless trying to make first one half and then trying to make the other half similiar (for example Voland). It just makes the work hard for u. If you are doing a lot more different other half (like nuubia), then its reasonable making it without mirroring. Next example from between these examples: If I would remake Laos from start, in that case I would make half ready, mirror it and then start moving polys.

I'm not saying that I recommend making mirrored maps. When map is small, it's better to be mirrored cos there small differences make bigger advantages than in bigger maps.

At this case I would recommend the Laos method: Mirroring it and after mirroring, making sides different by moving polys.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:10:43 pm by Suowarrior »