Author Topic: Influential Games  (Read 2903 times)

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
Influential Games
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »
Note: This thread is NOT "Wut iz ur favrit gaem, i leik halo!!!111one)
This thread is what games have influenced the types of video games you like or hate. This could be first of a genre, specific good or bad of something, or just a game that stuck with you. Mine are:
LoZ Link's Awakening (DX, not that it matters) First game I had ever played, loved it immensely. Still love it.
Dragon Quest (Cobi's Journey) Not a great game, but the first RPG I had ever played. I randomly picked it up recently, had over 200 hours of playtime on it. Very fun.
Pokemon (Blue) Have to admit, I played Pokemon a LOT. Beat it several times, cheated on it more than that. Not so great now, but heaven for a 6 yera old.
007 Goldeneye: First FPS I had ever played, immediately fell in love with the genre. Couldn't play it for crap, but had so much fun.
Conquer Online: Craptackular game, but first MMO game I had ever played. Didn't play it long, but it introduced me to the genre, and that one even existed.
Soldat: Still one of my favorite games, and easily the game I have spent the most time playing. This game is just great.
Halo 2: This game has a special place in my heart. I have always been a Nintendo fan, but I had heard this was the greatest game of all time and is perfect, 10/10. I played it once at my friends house, and I played a mediocre at best FPS. Played it a few more times, got no better. Played the campaign, not that great. Showed me people are sheep and many games just suck.
Final Fantasy III (SNES) I played this as FFVI for the game boy advance, this game made me realize many old games are vastly superior to new ones.
All I can think of right now, so I have to ask you, what's yours?
(Man, that was longer than I thought it would be)
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
Re: Influential Games
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:49:16 pm »
The first mmorpg i played was Runescape, IMO but back then it was a really good, fun game.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:50:01 pm »
Pokemon Red, it was a great game, one of the first I played, it basically taught me to read.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:12:04 pm »
Pokemon Red, it was a great game, one of the first I played, it basically taught me to read.
Same here, but with yellow.

Ooh time to list a few:
Super Mario Bros for Gameboy: my first EVER gameboy game.
LoZ Link's Awakening: Second EVER gameboy game
The Oregon Trail: even though I sucked at hunting
Gizmos and Gadgets: WOOOOT
Logic Quest: The day I found the map editor was the day I got very happy
Donkey Kong: The origional found in arcade places. Awesome game.
Pokemon Yeller: awesome.

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:17:14 pm »
Duke Nukem 3D and Quake were my first FPS games, at the age of 6 or 7.  After that, FPSes became my life.

Also, the original Command and Conquer got me into the series, not so much RTSes though.

The game that got me semi-into racing was a game called STUNTS on DOS.  Extremely old, but it holds a place in my heart.
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:21 pm »
My "influences"

First racing game: Motoracer
First action game: Hercules Action Game
First shoot-em-up game: Comanche Maximum Overkill

All pretty old '95/DOS games. :j

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:25:36 pm »
Supermario for SNES, my first time ever touching a thing called "video game."
Donkey Kong Serioes taught me how to time well.
For FPS.... Probably soldat. I got to know all the forum people, first time ever joined a think called 'clan', and my favorite FPS :D
Racing.... MARIO KAAART
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Wolf_Man

• Camper
  • I'm everything you're not watching.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:25:45 pm »
First action...FF7, shoot em up, Resident Evil, racing, Test drive 4
he has eyebrows of authority + 5. Are you kidding?

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:27:38 pm »
Army men for the PC. Me and a friend spent alot of time with that game, and we used our plastic soldiers to replicate bases and events from the game.
Then Army men 2 came along, with improved graphics and gameplay, and made my childhood a happy one.

There is no greater feeling for two small unskilled nooblets than to spend weeks and weeks on a game and finally completing it.

Also, Star wars: Jedi power battles for the playstation. Me and another friend played that so much Co-op we probably put 100 hours into the game. Running it several times, finding all exploits and bugs and glitches etc. Good times! We still play trough the game from time to time :)
Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:01 pm »
Well, I own and have played all NES games(passed down ;)) so I can't really name any out of that.

I'll just go with Duke Nukem as the biggest "influence."

Aside from that, Medal of Honor: Rising Sun got me started with war/killing games. :P
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 10:39:08 pm »
Supermario for SNES, my first time ever touching a thing called "video game."
Donkey Kong Serioes taught me how to time well.
For FPS.... Probably soldat. I got to know all the forum people, first time ever joined a think called 'clan', and my favorite FPS :D
Racing.... MARIO KAAART

Soldat isn't an FPS, sir.
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 11:21:38 pm »
Nethack, extremely influential, practically the forerunner of all modern dungeon crawl and hack n slash games.
Star Control, very unique; tight storyline, flawless blend of RPG and Shooter elements.
UFO: Enemy Unknown, Very strategic, great team tactics, randomized encounters so you can never get bored, also extremely challenging.
Fallout 1&2, fantastic. Strategic, challenging, great storyline, all RPG should be like this.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:25:41 pm by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 02:59:28 am »
Soldat

taught me to type

Ive learned other crap from it too, I now use that knowledge regularly :D

Player since late 2007

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:23 am »
Battlefield 2! I remember when I bought it, the game in wich i started playing online

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 05:57:23 am »

only the best pokemon version ever!

conquer online -___- downloaded it off my friends net without him knowing (i know im ninja) then took it home on a disc..and so began my online legacy of Kagesha

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:39 am »
everyone knows blue was for pussies. if i remember correctly red had all the cool motherfuckers like growlithes and scythers and shit on it that blue was just too lame for that had dumb things like meowth and bellsprout

i remember playing the game boy for the first time when it was still in grey. you used to charge that motherfucker all day and try and beat your cousins high score on tetris

sonic the hedgehog was pretty big too. i remember i used to have to do the labyrinth zone for my cousin cause he shat his pants whenever that count down started when you were underwater

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »
Ragnarok Online

First MMORPG I actually enjoyed. Turned me into a raging weaboo and subsequently inspired a fierce hatred for them after a "Holy sh*t, what the hell did I just say" moment.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Android id:073

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 02:03:20 am »
Raven Shield: First online multiplayer game I played, probably made me fall inlove with tactial shooters. I was so used to just running and gunning my way through things, but when I started playing Raven Shield I had to slow down and work with my team. Gave me skills that I still use today in all games that i play to this day. Its a pity not much other people know how to work as a team.

Got your hands bound, and your head down, and your eyes closed. You look so precious now.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 03:36:34 am »
Portal.
Omfg that game rocks.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka