3 (7.3%)
I reject your OS, and substitute my own, Linux
7 (17.1%)
I'm weird so I use some off-the-wall uncommon as hell OS
1 (2.4%)
I don't have a computer (lolwut)
3 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: PCs and Macs  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
PCs and Macs
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:16:11 am »
Seriously.  I'm getting sick of this discussion.

I have used both over many years, and I have NEVER seen the Mac do anything better than my PC can do, EVER.

People constantly say how Macs are better for designing and drafting and stuff...  I have no problems running Photoshop or 3D drawing programs on my PC.

And the whole thing about how they crash less, etc...  I have never had my Windows XP fail epicly once, ever.  I have the occasional hiccup every once in a while, I won't lie, but I experienced the exact same sort of shit on my Mac OS X I used at school in grades 10-12.

I keep my PC clean, and I make sure I defrag and run cleaner programs regularly, and look what happens: I don't crash.

So if there any Macfags out there, please.  Enlighten me.  I have never, ever, ever found something my PC could not do, that a Mac could.  My PC never crashes like Macs constantly accuse them of doing.  My PC can actually play games, unlike a Mac (natively that is).

Let the discussing begin...

And I know this will be hard for some of you, but NO FLAMING.
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
Re: PCs and Macs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:28:47 am »
Final Cut Pro on Mac is great for my media work, though that's only because my college insists on installing Avid instead of Adobe Premire onto the PCs. Overall I've always been and always will be a PC guy. They're much more versatile, and don't crash half as much as what Apple would tell you. Infact the Macs (or at least the programs on there) have crashed more than the PCs I've used for the same task. Blue screens of death are a thing of the past.

I also don't like how the marketing/advertising of Macs seems very pretentious and hypocritical.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:42:09 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 05:57:10 am »
Macs can't play soldat.

/topic

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:16:02 am »
I share your "the hell's supposed to be so great about a Mac, anyway" sentiments. I've had very few serious problems with Windows, certainly no more frequently than any Mac I've seen. That and Macs just... you know, don't do as much. Most everything worthwhile is designed to run on Windows. Friend of mine got a Mac for some ungodly reason and I haven't had the chance to play anything online with him since. :(

And considering the absolute havoc wrought upon my machine by Apple hellspawns such as Quicktime, I'm just plain really not a big fan of them. I like my iPod, but that's as far as it goes. I hate iTunes. Hate.

Offline Sticky

• Major
  • Toot toot
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:00:06 am »
Seriously.  I'm getting sick of this discussion.
Then why did you make this thread?

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:53:22 am »
Blue screens of death are a thing of the past.

I found out something very interesting about Vista the other day.  My friend had installed some performance RAM and was tweaking the settings for it (which of course is going to cause some instability).  Anyway, he was doing some stuff on his computer and it BSODed.  Did he get screwed? Nope.  After crashing, Vista restored his computer to exactly how it was immediately prior to the crash: same programs, same Firefox tabs, etc.  I was impressed.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »
The fact that the Macs often have to use a PC emulator is enough of argument for me.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:50:38 pm »
For anyone who doesn't like Linux, I recommend a Mac.

Windows is really out of the question for anyone who gives a shit about their computer.

The fact that the Macs often have to use a PC emulator is enough of argument for me.
Very few mac users I know really ever need to use something like Parallels.

Blue screens of death are a thing of the past.
Not at all, windows computers still bluescreen all the time, even vista.  It'd be nice if they were a thing of the past, but they're not.  If anything, Vista machines with crappy drivers are bluescreening more than your average XP machines.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:10:31 pm »
As for drafting, I think windows has the edge as I can't think of any program that matches the industry standards only available to windows.

I don't know it all so I could be missing out on something.

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:22:30 pm »
I'm gonna agree with SDFilm and say the only thing I can truly miss on my windows in Final Cut Pro.

I'm just too used to Windows to care whether it sucks.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 02:25:20 pm »
For anyone who doesn't like Linux, I recommend a Mac.

Windows is really out of the question for anyone who gives a poo about their computer.

im on ubuntu now flab can i be your gay bum friend

seriously though ive never noticed too much of a difference between the lot. maybe cause i dont do any programming or anything and dont notice the small differences

i am sure that if you were forced to use only one operating system that they are all capable of doing certain things if you put in the time and effort. some just make it harder or easier to do those things

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:11:55 pm »
Linux kind of sucks, its pretty useless when you compare it to a windows PC.

It has some programs to do your basic office work, but as a gaming computer its even more unreliable than macs are and linux distros have awful interfaces. Command prompt sucks, if it was any good nobody would use a GUI and microsoft.

If you use a mac you're missing out on playing games, unless you dual boot, in which case you wasted your money buying a mac in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:13:30 pm by a-4-year-old »
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 03:49:33 pm »
Windows is really out of the question for anyone who gives a poo about their computer.

If by "gives a poo" you mean "isn't satisfied that it works very well and needs to fulfill some sort of control freak thing by tweaking every possible setting," then yes.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 04:08:17 pm »

It has some programs to do your basic office work, but as a gaming computer its even more unreliable than macs are and linux distros have awful interfaces. Command prompt sucks, if it was any good nobody would use a GUI and microsoft.

If you use a mac you're missing out on playing games, unless you dual boot, in which case you wasted your money buying a mac in the first place.

If all you do on a computer is word processing and games, then of course you'll think linux sucks (especially if gaming is a large part).

CLIs have their own benefits.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 04:54:03 pm »
Well the answer to this question is very simple.

Windows will always be the most popular, versatile, compatible and supported operating system available. Cast aside your pretentious grudges you meaninglessly hold against Microsoft simply for being successful.

Now here are the facts...

Anybody who says that Macs are better:
A) Probably isn't aware that Adobe programs run on windows
B) Probably has some pre-concieved idea that Windows has never improved since 1995
C) Probably pisses their pants every time they hear the word "virus"
D) Probably is gullible enough to believe that Macs are as fashionable as iPods and is prepared to fork out an unreasonable amount of money on a lesser operating system simply to fit in with other Mac geeks.

Anybody who says Linux is better:
A) Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
B) Hahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!
C) Probably considers Linux a factor of their life which identifies them as a unique individual.
D) Probably has the sense not to pay for an operating system but is too piss-scared to acquire one 'unconventionally'.
E) Is jrgp
F) Would rather limit the abilities of their computer in order to stick it to Microsoft without also conforming to 'fashion trends set by Apple'.
G) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 05:21:41 pm »
I see no arguements stating why Mac is better, therefore I conclude PC is better. Objections?
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 05:46:08 pm »
Just because there's more viruses for the PCs doesn't mean there isn't any anti-virus programs developed for the PC.

No objections here.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 05:48:39 pm »
Windows will always be the most popular, versatile, compatible and supported operating system available. Cast aside your pretentious grudges you meaninglessly hold against Microsoft simply for being successful.
You can't say that. No company ever has the market share forever. Just wait until Microsoft goes bankrupt, the government splits them up for being a monopoly, or their current users switch to other operating systems. Since a few years ago, their slowly losing their marketshare at a steady rate.

Not everyone is a true gamer. To be completely honest, video games are a complete waste of time and don't benefit anyone at all, except for their designers who get rich off of the popular ones. In my opinion, people who buy those high-end ultra performance gaming "rigs" for $1000+ are just morons wasting their life and money away.

And about Linux having awful interfaces, they certainly used to but don't anymore. With each Ubuntu (and other distros) release they get better and better. And when it comes to special effects, neither Macs or Vista can come anywhere close to doing what Beryl/Compiz can do. About the command line, using it instead of going through dozens of menus to perform a certain low-level task or change a system setting is much easier and more efficient and with newer desktop versions of Linux, more and more gui front ends to command line apps are showing up eliminating the need for most people to use the CLI at all.

As for my Macs, they're great. They completely blow Windows out of the water and can do everything Windows can (with the exception of most games) better. They are a billion times more visually appealing and don't require a a multitude of the extra programs Windows requires (Antivirus apps, firewalls, drive defragmenters, etc). As a matter of fact, what Windows has evolved into is not what Microsoft's original goals for it were. From the beginning, Windows was never designed for internet and multi-user environments (MS's just glued them into it half-assed over the years) and the NTFS filesystem as a worthless, inefficient, unreliable piece of crap compared to Mac's HFS+ and Linux's ext3. The filesystems Macs and Linux use never need to be defragmented because they were designed to avoid fragmentation from the start.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 06:00:14 pm »
Quote from: FliesLikeABrick link=topic=31066.msg369396#msg369396
Not at all, windows computers still bluescreen all the time, even vista.  It'd be nice if they were a thing of the past, but they're not.

As the rest of the windows users with half a brain to keep their pc clean, I ask, where are theese blue screens of yours? I have yet to spot this strange phenomenon after years and years of using windows XP.
Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 06:19:43 pm »
Not everyone is a true gamer. To be completely honest, video games are a complete waste of time and don't benefit anyone at all, except for their designers who get rich off of the popular ones. In my opinion, people who buy those high-end ultra performance gaming "rigs" for $1000+ are just morons wasting their life and money away.

Then all of your interests and hobbies are a waste of time as well.
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"