3 (7.3%)
I reject your OS, and substitute my own, Linux
7 (17.1%)
I'm weird so I use some off-the-wall uncommon as hell OS
1 (2.4%)
I don't have a computer (lolwut)
3 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: PCs and Macs  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
Re: PCs and Macs
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 07:11:41 pm »
Why don't you actually try using a modern version of Ubuntu and stop quoting the past. All you're doing is deliberately making Linux look bad when it clearly isn't.

Don't get your panties in a twist jrgp. We can safely assume that anybody who is going to use Linux is going to use the latest version - you've extrapolated him using an old version from nowhere. Its not his fault that Linux has very limited compatibility, ability and functionality.

Linux is a poor mans Mac OS
Mac OS is a stupid persons Windows
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 07:36:29 pm »
I've installed/helped install ubuntu on over 15 computers now, from a macbook laptop to a 9-year-old pc, and they have all worked perfectly out of the box. Possibly the best feature of linux is its compatablility, ability, and functionality.

Please stop the flaming and have an actual discussion based on facts/experience rather than...
Linux is a poor mans Mac OS
Mac OS is a stupid persons Windows
That gets us nowhere in our quest for eternal enlightenment.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 07:55:35 pm »
Really, I installed it twice and both times was an awful experience.

The one piece that did work was the Wireless PC card, except it was slower with worse range and worse connectivity.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 05:49:47 pm »
Linux is proof that open source failed.
ffs.... are you forgetting about Firefox, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, PHP, Python, MYSQL, and a bunch of other things which are extremely popular, widely used, loved, and are completely based on software utilizing the open source ideology and principles? And for the record, Linux is the operating system that hosts this forum and all the other Soldat sites, so if you hate it so much why are you still here?  :P

And as for your compatibility issues, I'm sorry. For me, Linux has been great. Working out of the box and doing what I need it to do with the exception of most games, which I can do without. For me, the ideal gaming consoles would be Dosbox, a SNES, and an N64 which basically eliminates the need for a gaming computer anyway. And as for Soldat, getting it to work with Linux is probably always going to be impossible and because of that I just use the Windows XP based computer I built for my mom whenever she's not on it and I feel like having a good game.
There are other worlds than these

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »
Linux is proof that open source failed.
ffs.... are you forgetting about Firefox, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, PHP, Python, MYSQL,

Filezilla, Pidgin, Subversion, Jabber, Trac

...and those are just the open source apps I use at work.
I set up a Trac server on a linux virtual machine in 30 mins. Configured it in 2 hours.
They hired someone to set up the Microsoft equivalent (Team foundation server), gave them a week to do it. And we are gonna go with the open source one.

Open source is doing anything but failing. It is picking up steam.