Author Topic: beginner's guide  (Read 4069 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
beginner's guide
« on: July 29, 2006, 10:18:45 am »
I think soldat should have some official beginner's guide.  We get new players constantly that don't yet know how to play soldat.  A simple guide explaining all the not-so-self-explanatory things would be useful.
ie:

Don't kill others when there's a rambo
Don't TK in teammatches
What is r/s
A little bit about registering
How to RUN (jump walking)
What does EFC, FFC, etc. etc. mean?
How to get flaming arrows.
How to fire barret and minigun (delay talk)
Why the minigun isn't good (every noob's fav. gun - IT SUX)

These are just some off the top of my head.  This 'guide' is supposed to be very short and to the point - if it weren't it would be a manual - and people don't seem to read manuals.  This guide shouldn't take more than 3 mins to read.  People also don't read FAQ's - besides, most of these things are tips that wouldn't be described in FAQ's.  On top of that FAQ's are more like troubleshooter more than a guide.  I also realize that there already is a custom made "begginer's guide" in the forums - but IT IS HUGE!  I wouldn't read it if I were a noob.  Also, I believe that guide was in the old forums.

Soooo, does anyone have any more things to add to the list?
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
Re: beginner's guide
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:26:08 am »
I think I can remember something like this on the old forums. Correct me if I'm wrong.
But if I'm right, could someone repost it? ;)

Offline Anonymous

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:36:49 am »
If they aren't going to read the manual, they aren't going to read the guide.

Offline Zero

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 10:43:15 am »
one site wiki.Soldat (or something like that)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:44:55 am by Zero »
True warriors know the destructiveness of power-and how and when to use it.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 12:19:53 pm »
I think I can remember something like this on the old forums. Correct me if I'm wrong.
uhm, i just said there was something like that in the old forums - but that guide was HUGE

If they aren't going to read the manual, they aren't going to read the guide.
They're not gonna read the manual cuz it's rather big and cumbersome.  This would be a guide that's mandatory to read before playing for the first time.  On top of that, it would be OFFICIAL rather than some remote online site like wiki.Soldat (or something like that).

Offline johnbies

• Major
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 12:24:01 pm »
i agree
pwnxorz the noobxors

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 12:30:39 pm »
uhm, i just said there was something like that in the old forums - but that guide was HUGE

You did? Oops, well I have to admit I didn't read the lill story at the bottom. :P

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 06:31:52 pm »

It's about four posts above this one. Here.

one site wiki.Soldat (or something like that)

wiki.soldat.nl

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 07:35:02 pm »
like i said, that topic of yours is very big and pretty much a manual.  And it says there "for those that don't want to spend the first day figuring out the basics" - it'll take them over a day to just read that manual.  That's why this thing is better - it's short simple and to the point.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 08:17:21 pm »
the first two are kinda common sense and should be put in the "no one likes" guide
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 08:42:36 pm »
Well, if there was to be a guide like this it should be like soldat's welcome message because new players usually dont read the forums before playing

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 09:02:13 pm »
like i said, it would be something official that is included in the soldat game download - not in the forums.  Before you CAN play the game you must read through the guide.  That's the point - otherwise people won't read it...

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 09:35:57 pm »
like i said, it would be something official that is included in the soldat game download - not in the forums.  Before you CAN play the game you must read through the guide.  That's the point - otherwise people won't read it...
And how will we make them read it? They could easily just click "Next" or whatever the button will be to advance without actually reading it. -_-

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 09:39:19 pm »
like i said, it would be something official that is included in the soldat game download - not in the forums. Before you CAN play the game you must read through the guide. That's the point - otherwise people won't read it...
And how will we make them read it? They could easily just click "Next" or whatever the button will be to advance without actually reading it. -_-

We could give 'em a test with the 2 page essay counting as 25% of their grade.

Or...
Just install it with The manual. "Soldat Beginner's Guide; Reccomended to skim through before going online"
not around

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 10:17:38 pm »
You could always just make a FAQ thread, one that covers all the basics that aren't already in Flies'.  If you don't get around to it, I can write it when I'm free, but it's probably just going to be one big waste of time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:19:52 pm by VijchtiDoodah »

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 06:29:27 pm »
You could always just make a FAQ thread, one that covers all the basics that aren't already in Flies'.  If you don't get around to it, I can write it when I'm free, but it's probably just going to be one big waste of time.

like i said (wow must've said that a million times) people don't read FAQ's!  If they want they can go ahead and click NEXT but at least we presented the idea to the player.  Most of the time the problem is that the people are just too lazy to go and find a simple straightforward guide to the game and if we show it to them there is a higher chance of them actually considering reading it.  that's the idea!

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 09:29:32 pm »
*fifties instructional video*
narrator:HEY THERE MAJOR!
Major:Woah!
narrator: How about you take a break from being owned by boogieman and admiral and learn about playing online!
Major:Can't I just play online?
narrator:No!
Major:jeepers mister, this sounds boring
narrator:We are going to teach you everything you need to know about soldat, so you dont get called a n00b!
Major:sounds great!

If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 10:29:15 pm »
Zyx, Minigun isn't shit. We need a guide for you. ;D

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 04:16:39 am »
yeah we need a guide for non-serious things lol
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 07:36:59 pm »
Don't be an idiot. Don't use the Minigun.

Nothing aggravates me more than some twit insisting on constantly sending our flag halfway across the map because he wants to minigun camp and sees an enemy approaching. Yes, the flag can be shot at, and it will move when shot! Don't use the minigun! You're far too stupid to understand that it's hardly a killing machine and that there are 13 other weapons better suited for fighting enemies with. Plus, you'll be dumb enough to bink your team in the process, or push them back to stop better people from actually chasing down and killing the EFC.

Get the flag, stupid!

Your teammate with the flag got shot down? Didn't think to help out by, you know, shooting at the enemies and defending the FFC? The least you can do to help is grab the flag laying there on the ground before the enemy returns it. I know it's not the least exactly and you'd rather just take up a team spot while standing there AFK deciding on how you want to hurt your team by selecting the minigun, but it'd be nice if you could do something actually good for the team for a change.

Stop nading everything in sight, including your team!

EFC escaping! Let's throw grenades at him! No! Your grenades hardly have the range of the firearms, and you're more often than not going to both boost the EFC toward his destination and create an explosive barrier stalling your teammates from chasing him down. Think before you act!

Really just wanted to vent after having to put up with some idiocy :( , but these are things I do wish more players understood since it only takes one idiot to completely kill the rest of his team's efforts.