Poll

What gun should I stick with when I play? The Ak-47 or Steyr?

Ak-74
41 (58.6%)
Steyr AUG
29 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Ak-47 Or the Steyr?  (Read 9173 times)

Offline Winnter

• Major(1)
  • Xfire User Name: Winnter
Re: Ak-47 Or the Steyr?
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2008, 01:02:44 am »
This is what i think.

AK-47 on the plus side has a nice ammo capacity, and pretty good dmg. Negative side. it has a long burst rate, and a long reload time.

Stryr AUG on the plus side has a short reload time. and a fast burst rate. SEMI good dmg.
Negative side, on realistic mod. you cant aim worth Sh** while fireing. The kick back of each shot draws you off taget a little to much for my likeing.

butt. i guess its whatever floats your boat :D

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2008, 01:49:43 am »
@STM1993

The way how you talk is pretty close to some Massive Role-Playing games like World of Warcraft. Talking about DOTs and so on. I'm not insulting you or anything, it just feels kind of funny because I have played and may still play WoW so haven't heard anything about DOTs before in this game.

But the things what you said is true. I dont perfectly agree with you but some things what you said, I think you have some point in them and you have made some calculations and you know what you are talking about.

You did list which weapon is good and which weapon isn't in some situations and I'm glad you have made that. Because it depends about situation which weapon is best and which isn't.

I'm now at work so I can't invest your calculations well now, but I will do it later after work when I have time.

But it's glad that there is guys like you who can make that kind of calculations and invest Soldat in theory! You got my respect.

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:25 am »
basing on the maps you've given it'll Steyr.. . :)

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 04:47:47 am »
basing on the maps you've given it'll Steyr.. . :)

I thought way before that AK-74 isn't good in maps like ctf_Nuubia because there is very easy to hide behind the polygons. But I was wrong you just have to find the right way to use it and it's almost as deadly then in maps like ctf_Snakebite.

Offline FlyeThemoon

• Major(1)
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 07:57:51 am »
AK-47 is there in soldat ?(NEW WEAPON)

Well i prefer AK-74 40 Rounds in magazine, more damage, fast realoding minus not fast shooting (ok he fast shooting but not the same in Aug)

Aug Fast shooting and fast reloading, minus low damage

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2008, 10:42:16 am »
Aug Fast shooting and fast reloading, minus low damage

Low damage? Steyr damage is only slightly lower than AK-74's. I wouldn't say that it's low.

Offline Winnter

• Major(1)
  • Xfire User Name: Winnter
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2008, 11:45:03 am »
Exactly. I agree with Therier 100%. Besides flyethemoon bassicaly almost restated what i said. Except that i disagree with the AK having a fast reload time. If you look in your directory and see the Notpad file on the weapon description it clearly says the AK's reload time is 158, Comapring to the steyr Aug, which is 126.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2008, 12:07:57 pm »
If you look in your directory and see the Notpad file on the weapon description it clearly says the AK's reload time is 158, Comapring to the steyr Aug, which is 126.
25% more extra ammo for just 20% more reload? I gotta get some of that!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:12:11 pm by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2008, 11:56:36 pm »
Thanks Therier.

If you think about it, for a weapon with high ammo, AK's reload is actually very fast and it doesn't run out of ammo as quickly as most of the other weapons - Minimi, which is the second fastest in reload, is 100 ticks away. At the same time, if you compare to the faster guns and its reload time in a heated situation, it's quite long. Ultimately, its reload is actually pretty decent - it's in fact, around the average of all guns in Soldat.

If you look in your directory and see the Notpad file on the weapon description it clearly says the AK's reload time is 158, Comapring to the steyr Aug, which is 126.
I think you're looking at the Realistic weapons. The actual reload is:
150 + 10 - AK-74
115 + 7 - Steyr Aug
(Note the + 10 and + 7 - Those values are the fireinterval)

It would theoretically take 9 body shots of an Aug to kill someone and 7 body shots of an AK to kill someone. That's quite a big range - but considering the distance bullets travel over time and the fact that no one always hit the same spot, the difference is actually not that big.

On a side note, Minimi takes about 8 body shots MP5 takes 9 as well. Aug's damage is actually lower than the MP5's, but due to the bullet speed, MP5's damage would be greatly lowered when it travels over a long distance but the Steyr Aug would maintain its damage to around the original level.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:08:19 am by STM1993 »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 02:17:44 am »
Definately AUG, what a sexy motherfucker <3

oh, and I mostly rush enemies. and I love using it in DM

AK is too slowwwwww to fire, although most CW's i've played, people tend to keep their distance according to the weapon, I find this hard so I just get close as possible and let loose :D

also, a good weapon for prone, whereas AK is about the same when standing/proning, so AUG can sort of close the gap between itself AK when it comes to range.  but you have to prone to make this possible

Player since late 2007

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 01:53:22 pm »
Hah, what a discussion about 10x5 pixels and another 2 pixels flying :D

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 07:10:47 pm »
We were not talking about the size of your package mitak :0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:13:59 pm by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...

Offline nEttsE

• Soldier
  • I'm not hacker! I just love to eat all the bullets
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2008, 02:18:26 am »
I'd like to flood this topic now. Well, every posts in here are, umm, "interesting", but, okay, both weapons have it's own goods. I prefer Steyr AUG! QuAcK!

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2008, 05:17:43 am »
Again good post STM1993. And my apologies to make you wait!

Now to the topic:

You just make me thing difference between AK-74 and Steyr AUG over again and again. I have been wondering few things when I have played againts AUG users in gathers.

When I have minimum range to AUG users it have seemed that I have better chance to win him than he have win me. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the 7 bullets what I need to kill my opponent. I dont include any nades to that calculation.

When distance is "normal" AUG users have very good chance to beat me. Because of that fast fire rate and the boost what their bullets makes to me.

When distance is maximum I have good chance to beat them. I have said many times why so I think I dont need to say it again.

What you think about that STM1993? Am I right? Does my words have sense at all?

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2008, 09:53:25 am »
Minimum, Normal and Maximum? You mean short, medium and long range? O.o

An Aug shouldn't lose to an AK at close range because Aug has a much better DOT. But it is known that the Aug fires at a slight upward angle when fired automatically (this happens from the second bullet onwards). If you found it easier to kill an Aug at close range, I believe that it might have been because of that little angle which can be quite a problem at close range sometimes to Aug-users - I personally found that little angle quite troublesome at very close range, pointing my gun towards the enemy but realizing my shots are shooting over their heads.

At mid-range, Aug is extremely effective - has the bullet push, the firing rate and the DOT. That's correct.

Long range, well it really depends, but I won't be surprised to see the good AKer win against an equally skilled Aug-user or vice-versa. AK shots would practically hit more often and can do more damage, Aug's shots would tend to miss here and there though it has the better advantage for "spraying" due to firing rate. Besides, no one fires the Aug full-auto - they always fire in short bursts of 3-5, and usually at least one bullet would miss from the burst. But should the Aug-user be skilled enough at long range, the AK-user can lose a lot of HP.

No one stands still in combat though - everyone would try to dodge and all that - and may even switch from long range to close range and vice-versa.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:57:18 am by STM1993 »

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:28 am »
AK-47 for me, it's like an MP-5 but does more dammage, longer range and lower rate of fire. I still use the MP-5 though...

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2008, 04:16:36 am »
Minimum, Normal and Maximum? You mean short, medium and long range? O.o

Yes, that's what I meant. It seems you can understand me pretty well, that makes me happy.

An Aug shouldn't lose to an AK at close range because Aug has a much better DOT. But it is known that the Aug fires at a slight upward angle when fired automatically (this happens from the second bullet onwards). If you found it easier to kill an Aug at close range, I believe that it might have been because of that little angle which can be quite a problem at close range sometimes to Aug-users

Excatly, to AK-users, like me, it isn't any problem, at least if you have much experience.

At mid-range, Aug is extremely effective - has the bullet push, the firing rate and the DOT. That's correct.

Yes, at mid-range AK-users doesn't really have chance againts AUG-users which have same skill level, and AUG-bullets which boost us and makes aiming more difficult makes things even more difficult.

Long range, well it really depends, but I won't be surprised to see the good AKer win against an equally skilled Aug-user or vice-versa. AK shots would practically hit more often and can do more damage, Aug's shots would tend to miss here and there though it has the better advantage for "spraying" due to firing rate. Besides, no one fires the Aug full-auto - they always fire in short bursts of 3-5, and usually at least one bullet would miss from the burst. But should the Aug-user be skilled enough at long range, the AK-user can lose a lot of HP.

I pretty agree with you but still I think AK-users have slight benefit in long range battle, but it's only slight.

No one stands still in combat though - everyone would try to dodge and all that - and may even switch from long range to close range and vice-versa.

Excatly, and then there is of course nades too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:33:52 am by Therier »

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 04:43:29 am »
Stryr AUG on the plus side has a short reload time. and a fast burst rate. SEMI good dmg.
Negative side, on realistic mod. you cant aim worth Sh** while fireing. The kick back of each shot draws you off taget a little to much for my likeing.

That's a matter of getting used to it. The problem normalmode players seem to have when playing realistic is that they just click and hold the firing button. In realmode, the tricks is to fire in bursts, or one shot at a time with slow raters such as the AK.
Oh, and don't abuse the swear filter.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 06:27:23 am »
Excatly, and then there is of course nades too.

Shhh you'll wake Extacide
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline ElGato

• Camper
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 11:19:05 am »
Oddly enough I kind of thought most everyone was a nade user. Plus the ROF doesn't make all the difference when using a gun+grenade, it's more how fast the gun can put out damage.
Oddly enough, I uses nade as a tertiary, not primary.

I don't use them as a primary either, but to call them my third weapon would be silly. They shouldn't be in the same category at all as they can always be used.
[fist] Black Powa