Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 5725 times)

Offline Liber Lupus

• Soldier
  • shoulddrinkmore
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 01:02:13 pm »
Hydrogen is good. Clean (though you need to extract the hydrogen out from water or whatever first, you can't get it from the air), produces water vapour when reacted with oxygen (in a hydrogen fuel cell). Problem is, it is difficult to store hydrogen. And you know how powerful a hydrogen explosion can be (Hydrogen Bombs, Hindenburg...).
Hydrogen is a carrier, not an energy source itself.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »
Hydrogen is good. Clean (though you need to extract the hydrogen out from water or whatever first, you can't get it from the air), produces water vapour when reacted with oxygen (in a hydrogen fuel cell). Problem is, it is difficult to store hydrogen. And you know how powerful a hydrogen explosion can be (Hydrogen Bombs, Hindenburg...).
That is easily the most ignorant thing said in this thread.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 05:38:39 pm »
iDante - I study Environmental Care (or how do you may call it) and believe me, I know what I've written.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 10:54:59 pm »
Hydrogen is a carrier, not an energy source itself.
That is easily the most ignorant thing said in this thread.
Kay then. Looks like I'm wrong.

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 01:29:45 am »
How the hell can Hydrogen be a "carrier"?  Don't you just combust hydrogen, and poof, energy?
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:52 am »
Don't you just combust hydrogen, and poof, energy?
Ahh, I remember a bit now:

It's something to do with the hydrogen atom(s) losing its only electrons to form a hydrogen ion, the electron is going to be the electric charge of the battery (which flows up this anote/cathode or whatever), while the hydrogen ions passes through some kind of medium and reaches the other end, which has oxygen and heat. The electron returns to where the hydrogen ion currently is, and you get a reaction between hydrogen and oxygen to get water.

^ Just a rough idea of what's happening.

Bleh, I can't remember much on what I learned there, so this information isn't very reliable - go look up "Hydrogen Fuel Cell" =.=

http://biodiesel.environmentalactiongroup.org/cell.jpg <--- a very accurate diagram of what I'm talking about which I found on the internet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:09:15 am by STM1993 »

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 06:04:52 am »
iDante - I study Environmental Care (or how do you may call it) and believe me, I know what I've written.

serious business

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 06:15:34 am »
Wonder how the hydrogen cars will look like

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 06:32:15 am »
Wonder how the hydrogen cars will look like

Should be just like any other car on the outside.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 06:41:10 am »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:43:19 am by homerofgods »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 06:53:42 am »
I've been in a hybrid, they are essentially like any other car

I didnt get to ride in it though ><  just a display at a technology show lol

Player since late 2007

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 10:01:29 am »
Quick question, are cows' methanol(or someting. a.k.a. fart) ruining the earth's ozone layer?
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:10 am »
Methane... not methanol... "methanol" is a type of alcohol.

Yes, methane, not just from cows, can damage the Earth's ozone layers. For details...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane
^ Start reading.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:36:43 am by STM1993 »

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:18 am »
if we killed every cow in the world it would solve the global warming crisis

so theres no reason why we cant also burn off the remaining oil reserves too

plus wed all have a feast

in our ferraris

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 11:56:01 am »
How the hell can Hydrogen be a "carrier"?  Don't you just combust hydrogen, and poof, energy?
no you use electricity to rip the hydrogen off of the two oxygens in water and then when you put them back together you get that electricity back. burning it would be silly.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 12:15:49 pm »
no you use electricity to rip the hydrogen off of the two oxygens in water and then when you put them back together you get that electricity back. burning it would be silly.

Then hydrogen is nothing but a storage unit for the energy.
If we are using it as an energy source then we shouldn't be ripping them. They should be ripping themselves.(or something rips it for us, we just combine it)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:17:38 pm by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 08:22:09 pm »
Gentlemen, I'm being persuaded to be a vegetarian now, after what STM showed me...

It might not be too bad. It can help to recover the ozone layer, and we won't have any disease from contaminated meats.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 08:55:39 pm »
... and you'll die from protien defiency.

The problem with alternative energies, is all of them are either unefficient or expensive to make. Many times both. Take hydrogen, it takes a lot of energy just to get the hydrogen out of the water. This energy comes from oil/coil.
Solar energy is expensive and unefficient, and doesn't work anywhere near everywhere. Take where I live (Ohio) 4 months out of the year we get almost no truely sunny days (Nov-Feb) and intermediate sunnyless periods for days-weeks. Not to mention places that get even less (New England in America, places like England, etc.).
Ethonal is unefficient when burned, and therefore you get worse gas mileage. And you can't go as fast. We had one (an ethonal plant) around where I lived, wasn't even opened 6 months before it went bankrupt. People hated it.
Also, for hydrogen cars, many people think the actual hydrogen engine could be fit into the area under your car, leaving you able to switch what the top looks like. Just unscrew it and put another on.

All of these "facts" I just typed were either told to me by people or seen on the History Channel of the years, so feel free to dispute.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 10:47:39 pm »
You've got your prefixes all wrong.

Solar power doesn't need a bright day to work, and if a bit of common sense is used it can be quite cheap. Use some mylar to reflect light from the sun multiple times into one solar panel.

If you were watching the history channel you obviously were not paying attention. All the energy put into making hydrogen is released when you run the engine.

Ethanol is indeed a joke.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 12:03:27 am »
If you were watching the history channel you obviously were not paying attention. All the energy put into making hydrogen is released when you run the engine.

And? His original point wasn't that the energy isn't missing, its the process to obtain it.