Author Topic: HP indicators  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
HP indicators
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:39:53 pm »
The real topic got locked so I'll bring this up now soz.

Your Soldat character will bleed when he is injured - EVERYONE can see it - and you can see everyone's characters bleeding too. The mod I suggested simply changes the way a Soldat character looks when he is injured. It is not an illegal modification even in competitive gaming - I don't see how it gives an unfair advantage.

Just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure someone got banned or atleast punished in SCTFL for using a mod like that.

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
Re: HP indicators
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:56:03 pm »
By using hacks for precise information about - yes, for graphical modification - no. Difference is: something about free modifications of games files (custom game/MOD/sounds/graphics/text in any way except sceneries) - allowed. Ingerence, mod/modification in game engine - forbidden. By modyfing gostek files - this only allowed files modification that is completely based on vanilla engine, not forbidden 'engine and behavior' mod that extend game into features previously not existed in source code.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:58:48 pm by Henito Kisou »

Offline TheV

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:59:20 am »
How can you say that...

You can modify the gosteks, but not the scenery?

Thats basically the same thing.

You could add an arrow to the gosteks head... and thus you get AN icon of which you can see the other people... even if they are hiding behind a scenery...

=\

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:19 am »
Author of this game restricted this.

But this is everything  mod, an external modification based on unmodified vanilla engine, so is allowed.
Illegal is internal modification based on modified vanilla engine. See the Soldat Manual.
Quote from: Soldat Manual
LEGAL STUFF

No portion of this software may be disassembled, reverse
engineered, decompiled, modified or altered.

All graphics and sounds may be modified except maps and scenery files.
Modified graphics and sounds can be distributed for free as game MODs.

This Software is supplied "as is" and no liability will be
accepted by Michal Marcinkowski or any legal vendors of this
software for any damage incurred by the use of this software.

Neither directly nor indirectly you cannot rent or sell by any means
this software.

I would not using for these two situations word "mod" or "modifications". These what change Soldat engine or any .exe are just trainers, hacks.

Files can be modified in any way you wish, but not software, not .exe
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:38:11 am by Henito Kisou »

Offline kittie

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:49:56 pm »
well this season had a penalty for a player that used larger weapons (but if the sreenshots i saw were the ones that got him punished, the only thing different that i saw was something like a mecha mod :/ but probably there was something more)

i agree with the first post since the bar wont give an extra advantage besides that it will prevent enemies from hiding and that is forbidden by the SCTFL rules.

Any modifications to soldat which directly prohibit your opponent from performing are disallowed in SCTFL. Modifications which give you an advantage without directly hurting your opponent are allowed however. The SCTFL staff reserves the right to make judgment in cases where it is unclear which modifications prohibit your opponents directly and which modifications help you directly. When in doubt, ask one of the administrators before you use the mod. Check directly below for examples on what we mean.

Making sceneries invisible, deleting sceneries, or anything of that sort which prevents your opponent from hiding are not allowed

Making the size of weapons larger, making gosteks larger, or anything of that sort which prevents your opponent from hiding are not allowed. Health bar above the head is not allowed.

Changing the color of grenades, changing the color of bullets, changing the size of bullets, changing textures of maps,  or anything of that sort which directly helps you instead of directly hurting your opponent are allowed

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:20:31 am »
Health bar above the head is not allowed.
Not possible to have a real health bar above the head, and my suggestion is just a mod to change the indicator (blood when injured) that is to be placed over the head. A modification to the bleeding indicator when injured is legal - since it directly helps you but it does not give your opponents a disadvantage. However...

Making the size of weapons larger, making gosteks larger, or anything of that sort which prevents your opponent from hiding are not allowed.

What I suggested - which is bar over the head - is actually directly making the gostek bigger, making the enemy more visible - that is the part of the suggestion which is illegal where you can be disqualified. Other than that, it's perfectly fine.

If you really want that so called "health bar" indicator to show, you'd have to modify your gostek in a way that does not make the enemy unable to hide and the size of the gostek must not be changed.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:26:22 am by STM1993 »

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:28:05 am »
Why would it be illegal? people change color of the nade to avoid stepping on them, elongate ret to make them spotable in the bushes etc.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:01:51 am »
Why would it be illegal? people change color of the nade to avoid stepping on them, elongate ret to make them spotable in the bushes etc.

Change colour of nade would help you see the grenade to avoid it - it's just a way to help you dodge bullets, which only helps you visualize better - it does not affect how your enemy play against you.

But making a weapon or gostek etc bigger/longer than the usual size, that's a different story altogether. Now you can see your enemy in the bush while he can't see himself in the bush, but if you had used the default look, you can't see him either. This kind of modding affects your opponent's gameplay - you can see him hiding when no one would see him without the illegal modification, which is unfair, therefore "illegal". It's just like adding a sniper line to the Barrett's sprite - you can see where your opponent is pointing at and where he is, that isn't fair at all.

You are allowed to maximize your gaming potential but you are not allowed to minimize the opponent's gaming potential.

It's funny how servers turn off the normal sniper line though (even though no one uses sniper line in competitive gameplay) - since it maximizes some players' aiming ability but not minimizing their opponent's gameplay ability.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:07:06 am by STM1993 »

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »
But the whole point of making nade green is to make them less than easy to spot. Thus by avoiding the nades you would be diminuishing opponent's ability to kill, and thus, according to your philosophy, you are minimizing opponent's potencial.

I believe it's either all changable, or nothing.
Always remember the succubus...