Author Topic: I wonder if....  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Lt. Sprizz

• Major
  • I'm sorry if I offended you.
I wonder if....
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:14:32 am »
I'm just wondering if this will ever be plausible or planned in the far future of soldat. (I'm not so sure if this is the right forum to be posting in, even.)

Will there ever be...

1) damage to polys(like tearing out a wall with a grenade) or explodable polys(Like explosive barrels)?

2) vehicles?(I know the sticky says to never suggest it, or whatever, but I'm just asking if there's some undercover operation to make them. If not, will anyone ever want to script them?)

3) more weapon slots added, or will we always get stuck with 14? Will we ever get to choose between 6 secondaries, or maybe 13 primaries?

and 4) forced downloads (for weapons mods, like if you really want one server to only use your MP5 design, or if you want different sound effects for your explosions, and you want anyone playing to have to download these things by forced downloads.)

That's basically it. Just wondering if some of this stuff is under development or on the way.

"I am Jack's lack of surprise..." ~(Tyler Durden)
-=::SPOILER::=-
Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are the same person...:)
In-game: \Biz|Niz/

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Re: I wonder if....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:23:06 am »
Haha explodable barrels sounds fun, maybe a new type of collider that explodes when hit, and renders the scenery black?  Forced downloads would spawn a lot more servers - something like "Halo 3 Server" or "Magic Flying Monkey Melee" ::) that would allow all players to enjoy the same weapons files.  As for the other suggestions, expect some harsh "OMG THAT WULD MAKE IT NOT SOLDAT ANYMOAR!!11!!" criticisms. 

Sometimes I think the reason soldat doesn't get the attention it deserves is because many of its members refuse to believe major changes are necessary... THERE, I said it, do you worst.  Lol :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:30:29 am by p0ppin »
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:08:05 pm »
I don't thingk vehicles or new weapons will be added.
Forced download, maybe, depends on what people want.
demage to polys/explosive polys, I think this has the best chanse of your options.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »
I doubt any of these suggestions would pass. too much work for nothing. and soldat would lose all competitive play if vehicles were added.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:50:03 pm »
vehicles... almost EACH MAP of soldat is made for the jetboots, not for cars. also these are too big to go through the map.

all the other suggestions are useless.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:12:12 pm »
We could always create maps...
Text goes here...

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:52:42 am »
Damn this these  'Halo' generationZ kidlets....

What the smeg do we need vehicles for? This isnt Grand Theft Auto, this isnt Halo, this isnt Crysis.

This is Soldat. This is pure, arcade agility and slaughter. If you want a large, explosive target to sit and drive in, get a bloody drivers license and drive through South Central yelling white supremecist propaganda ...

Also, I think explosive crates/reactive colliders would be cool. It a collider with a 1/0 state triggered by bullet collision. It could trigger an explosion, or cease to be a collider.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:54:04 am »
Destructable enviroment is prety complicated to make...but looks fun.
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:48:04 pm »
Destructible stuff isnt terribly complex. It can be a pain though.

You have a collider with
- 2 states, 1 and 0.
- a variable measuring the damage taken by bullets and explosives [ Dmg ]
- a variable for the damage required to make the state change over [ Dmg_Req ]

State 1 : it will act like a normal collider until Dmg >= Dmg_Req. Then it goes to
State 0 : does not act as a collider, it is essentially not there.

Now you would either need to remove the collider object in state 0, or swap its graphic with something black or transparent. Some debris effects would likely be needed to make it look decent too, as well as perhaps sound effects. Its these aesthetics which are annoying to get right.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:49:53 pm by KYnetiK »
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 07:40:30 am »
Oh #1 definitely sounds fun and nice. A bit more realastic and fun physics.

#2, I don't think it's possible. But somebody might as well script it.

#3, Naaah, not really, if there are more weapons, then there are more ways to counter and more balancing. It will rather make the game tricky.

#4, Are you getting this from Valve (especially CS:S)?
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:28:26 am »
Some of those ideas sound pretty cool. I also hope that water in soldat will become more graphical and real. Vehicles MIGHT wreck the gameplay tho.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 04:53:36 pm »
I also hope that water in soldat will become more graphical and real.
Yepp, not that you car about this, but age of conan has really nice water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2eN5xkNS88&feature=related
and just that makes me want to play the game.
-Could be done better with animated scenery though
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:59:00 pm by homerofgods »

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 05:22:40 pm »
I doubt soldat's water will ever become that good tho
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 05:17:52 am »
None of these suit soldat. Aside from weapons, but just make your own really. Vehicles would be fun, but it's not soldat, it would slow the gameplay down and jet-boots + 2D + vehicles just won't work.

I would like to see explosive barrels, that's pretty cool, but just make them the same as grenades, but they stay still and don't explode when walking over.

No explosive polys. It's ruin all the maps as they are made to be balanced. It doesn't suit soldat. It's not worms.

Soldat isn't a sandbox game. It's an arcade one.