Author Topic: Weap appearance suggestion  (Read 1726 times)

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
Weap appearance suggestion
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:11:53 pm »
Could it be good/possible to make a list of diff weaps used by player, and seen by others? Like i have a p-90 instead of mp5, and other 'd see it too? While i could see what other players are carrying. The sound of primary weap's be same tho, so u can hear ppl which type of gun they're having. All characteristics of gun 'd stay, but its look.

I'm asking if 'd be nice to have like:
1 DE +some else one hiter pistols, like 2x baretta, glock , etc
2 MP5 +having other fast guns like p90, mp7 etc
3 AK m14, etc
4 steyr famas

So i'dnt be boring to have same looked weaps all the time. The sound 'd remain same, so u could identify which weap it is (1-10). The player 'd pick his own gun he'd wanted to chose in 'player' section in soldat. This could be added to reg version only imho.

You get the picture. Now question is, is it possible to make, and is it good idea. (Soz if this was made, it just crossed my mind)  [fist]

ps:/I'd add a pool, but dunno how :P

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
Re: Weap appearance suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:27:53 pm »
Could it be good/possible to make a list of diff weaps used by player, and seen by others? Like i have a p-90 instead of mp5, and other 'd see it too? While i could see what other players are carrying. The sound of primary weap's be same tho, so u can hear ppl which type of gun they're having. All characteristics of gun 'd stay, but its look.

I'm not sure whether I understood you correctly. You want to set different "skins" for weapons or see other players' weapons as they see them (when someone has a mod, you'd see him as he sees everyone)?

ps:/I'd add a pool, but dunno how :P

A swimming pool? I don't know either. ;D
But if you are looking for a poll, you should be able to add one using a button in upper-right corner (right above your post, next to "reply" and other buttons) ;D

Offline Antipathy

• Major(1)
  • Set it free.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:28:55 pm »
It's not a bad idea. Registered version does need some features other than colored jets and a fancy star next to your name. The way I get it, only the graphics would be changed? (and P90 wouldn't have a 50 round magazine and so on)

If so, you have my full support.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:36:53 pm »
It's not feasible, though. You can't phase anything in Soldat, and it would be mighty annoying to people who are getting phased.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 06:01:46 am »
well... instead of adding things like this. the useless netcode should have a HUGE fix.

and if this wouldn't be serverside I'd go crazy seeing a lot of random shit all over.

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:35:57 am »
But if that's possible, you'll have to download everyone's weapons-gfx or... Imagine now how that's going to crash the server :/

Someone new enters and he has this nice WWII mod and you'll see the defaults after you rejoin...

Or there must be some giant database with everyone's accounts and... their skins uploaded so they show up ingame?!?

The best idea I could come up with is adding a gigantic load of skins, coded into the game so the player gets to pick from them - just like he can pick to wear a helmet/dogtags or not, and the jet flame color.

All that stuff added in the config.exe? Will somebody actually want to play around that much just to gather skins and code them in the game? And will they be available only for registered users? D: First of all, there should be a forum thread about which skins should be the winners - let's say that each weapon can have 3 more different skins.

Would it be worth it at the end, after all the hard work? Not everyone's open for other people's choices. Some would prefer the classic Soldat gfx. Maybe more work should be put into making an option like Classic Soldat Skins On/Off :/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:44:46 am by Mitak »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:57:12 am »
But if that's possible, you'll have to download everyone's weapons-gfx or... Imagine now how that's going to crash the server :/

Someone new enters and he has this nice WWII mod and you'll see the defaults after you rejoin...

Or there must be some giant database with everyone's accounts and... their skins uploaded so they show up ingame?!?

The best idea I could come up with is adding a gigantic load of skins, coded into the game so the player gets to pick from them - just like he can pick to wear a helmet/dogtags or not, and the jet flame color.

All that stuff added in the config.exe? Will somebody actually want to play around that much just to gather skins and code them in the game? And will they be available only for registered users? D: First of all, there should be a forum thread about which skins should be the winners - let's say that each weapon can have 3 more different skins.

Would it be worth it at the end, after all the hard work? Not everyone's open for other people's choices. Some would prefer the classic Soldat gfx. Maybe more work should be put into making an option like Classic Soldat Skins On/Off :/
sure it is .bmp files, but they are not that big, the only one who would notice it would be the server owner. when somebody joins the server just checks if the gfx he uses exists already on the server. if not it downloads and then uploads to everyone.

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 10:58:07 am »
It didnt need each one of us making its own weaps gfx...i meant we'd make a competetion and add a certaint weaps to 1.42 /1.5 version....which 'd work only for reg ones. And u'd pick which weap u want to appear as 1, at 2 etc
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:00:29 am by SniperTheKiller »

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 02:43:36 pm »
i think that he means that others see the mod hes using
i think

well, it would be nice to see the enemy with the mod hes using, but u would have to dl it then, which makes a lot of problems
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 07:05:28 pm »
no...i meant that these weapons 'd be build in soldat...that'dnt be mod, but tester's 'd build in weaps that apply to way & style of guns we use now (2x barettas = 2x de's etc)...its just that for number 1 u could see other  than mp5...not that u could randomly create guns...u 'd have to pick one from a list built in.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 03:26:50 am »
So you want to have a build-in set of alternative skins for weapons.
Not bad idea. However it can be a little confusing to newcomers...

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 12:01:04 pm »
Simply put though, it's not in the spirit of Soldat. Soldat is KISS. Don't make the default any more complex than it already is.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 01:33:36 pm »
well... instead of adding things like this. the useless netcode should have a HUGE fix.

and if this wouldn't be serverside I'd go crazy seeing a lot of random s**t all over.

I think that although registered users do need more options. I agree with -major- that there are other things that need to be sorted out before other things are implented.