Author Topic: Harddrive Failure  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Underworld

• Camper
  • Mapper
Harddrive Failure
« on: March 23, 2008, 05:13:58 am »
Recently My Hardedrive crashed and erased al lmy files including my soldat maps

over 30 new climb maps

2 TW maps

and 10 or so ctf maps of me where lost

so if anybody was or is interested in knowing this now you known  ::) lol
I don't understand
do you mean that there is a /faceplam commmand ?
and this command should drop a random item ?

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: Harddrive Failure
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:03:07 pm »
How do you crash a harddrive?

I've never had any problems with anything of the sort, and my record low for memory with HD space was 7 megabytes and that was while downloading 500 megabytes at the same time...I had to scram through useless files and delete all the junk I had while downloading the file...It sucked, but was a nice way to clean out crap. I'm back up to 3 gigs after my cleanup hehe.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 03:10:16 pm »
How do you crash a harddrive?

I've never had any problems with anything of the sort, and my record low for memory with HD space was 7 megabytes and that was while downloading 500 megabytes at the same time...I had to scram through useless files and delete all the junk I had while downloading the file...It sucked, but was a nice way to clean out crap. I'm back up to 3 gigs after my cleanup hehe.

There are numerous ways; it could be bumped while it was writing data and the surface of the platter could be physically damaged by the head, it could overheat and other damage could occur. It's happened to me before, random blocks on the harddrive stopped working, and they just happened to be the ones where windows data was, which prevented windows from booting thereafter.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:19:41 pm »
Hmm, I see...

But Underworld, I can't help you with your maps :( because I don't play climbing and don't remember your TW's... ctf maps? Hmm

Offline ViN

• Camper
  • Try, Fail, Repeat.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:28:12 am »
I've had some of them, list me which ones you have lost and i'll check.

Geekier than you!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 07:04:28 pm »
ok heres what happens, this looks like a case of harddrive over-erroring, over time, hard drives get full of junk and also errors can appear over time, when the errors are ignored for too long, the hard drive crashes, the only way to avoid this is to defragment the harddrive once a month, use diskcleaner on the harddrive once a month and also use diskcheck which can be accessed from going to start>run>cmd then type in chkdsk /r, do all this once a month and u wont have trouble, or an easier way to run diskcheck and diskcleaner is to use  a program such as tuneup utilities, hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 07:06:23 pm by frosty »
check out my server! click here

If at first you don't succeed, Improvise! :D

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 12:21:15 pm »
ok heres what happens, this looks like a case of harddrive over-erroring, over time, hard drives get full of junk and also errors can appear over time, when the errors are ignored for too long, the hard drive crashes, the only way to avoid this is to defragment the harddrive once a month, use diskcleaner on the harddrive once a month and also use diskcheck which can be accessed from going to start>run>cmd then type in chkdsk /r, do all this once a month and u wont have trouble, or an easier way to run diskcheck and diskcleaner is to use  a program such as tuneup utilities, hope this helps

Almost everything you said here is wrong or makes no sense.  When a hard drive is physically failing, there's nothing you can do.  chkdsk /r maps out the errors to avoid them, but this is a short-term fix.  Once a hard drive starts failing, it will continue doing so.  You should always replace a hard drive at the first sign of failure, chkdsk /r is just an act of desperation and can sometimes even further damage the drive.

His drive sounds like it has failed completely, nothing you have suggested will help.

The things highlighted in bold in the quote are completely wrong.  They will do nothing to help fix or prevent physical hard drive failures.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 01:56:34 am »
erm i wasnt just talking about chkdsk,

and i spose u have hundreds of dollars to keep replacing yours?

seems u missed my point, my point was, if you keep your drive maintained then this doesnt happen

and yes what i said does help, my drive began to fail, i did as i said above and it fixed it for a year and a half, if you call that short term... :P
and i was answering Blacksheepboy's post, not Underworld's, i know its crashed completely, the thing is i was answering someone else, so get your facts straight plz
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:01:46 am by frosty »
check out my server! click here

If at first you don't succeed, Improvise! :D