Author Topic: Seriously wtf computer problem: No voices in movies  (Read 12242 times)

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Seriously wtf computer problem: No voices in movies
« on: December 25, 2008, 09:45:15 pm »
I got something stupid wrong with my computer, whenever I try to watch a movie in windows media player, there are no voices, music and ambient sounds and sound effects are audible though, I've tested three movies, Land of the dead, The texas chainsaw massacre: the beginning, and Wrong turn, all bought from different places,and all on dvd's (legit btw).

Also trying to watch them with vlc media player doesn't work, it just sits there forever.

One other thing that may be related is that when you get in a vehicle in GTA: San Andreas, there are no outside sounds, only the radio plays if it is on.

This is such a retarded problem, I tried searching google to no avail, and don't know where else to find help but here.

[pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail]
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
Re: Seriously wtf computer problem: No voices in movies
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 09:52:19 pm »
What sound system do you have? Typical 2 speakers?

Go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> under Speaker Settings, click Advanced. Choose the option from the dropdown menu that best fits your sound system.

I'm just assuming that this is the problem, as your audio card could be somehow borked. As far as I'm aware, video players cannot edit sound tracks during playback.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:03:54 pm »
Forgot the details,

• My sound device (assume thats the sound card) is Realtek high definition audio
  • speakers are 2 typical speakers built into my monitor (Compaq WF1907)

I went where you said and I have no idea what any of those options mean, so i left them alone. I also noticed something under enhancements called voice cancellation, but it was unchecked so i dunno if it has anything to do with the problem.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:30:46 pm »
tchm

seems to me

like your media player is playing dvds with some kind of different default audio track. you can change them yourself by right clicking. it might be a track for the hard of hearing or something

if not then either its a problem with the wiring in your speakers, or its a soundcard issue

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 10:48:20 pm »
Right click on what?

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 11:41:06 pm »
reading through your post again i am pretty sure im wrong

but try anyway

right click on the actual video while it is playing in windows media player, then go to audio tracks

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 12:03:58 am »
I went where you said and I have no idea what any of those options mean, so i left them alone. I also noticed something under enhancements called voice cancellation, but it was unchecked so i dunno if it has anything to do with the problem.

o_o I'm not sure what options you're talking about, exactly. Perhaps this will help: Audio Settings

I'm going to see if I can get more info about your issue.

Edit: As it turns out, this may be a motherboard issue. I'm sure jrgp or Bricks would know much more on this subject than myself.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:08:18 am by Kazuki »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:43:45 am »
Thats onboard sound.

You should poke around realtek audio manager and see if its got the right connections, speakers might not work if the manager thinks its a microphone.

I'll make a picture.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 04:55:03 pm »
@kazuki

I realize now why mine's different, I have vista. I managed to find something similar on my laptop, so i will try it later when my bro is off my desktop which has the problem. That link was interesting, but it didn't really give me any insights.

@A4YO

Ill try that later too, but I'm pretty sure I always tick the right thing in the box.

Revelation: Plugging the speaker cable into the front headphone jack makes all the audio work properely, except for GTA, so I think it isn't linked.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:57:25 pm by chutem »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 08:44:35 pm »
GTA could have some surround sound settings or something that isnt compatible with your speakers, check the in-game setup

Player since late 2007

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 10:48:07 pm »
For the movies, check if you have the right codec. Chances are that you have it, but perhaps it can be otherwise.

If all else fails update your drivers.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 04:01:08 pm »
If all else fails update your drivers.

Yeah update your drivers.

If all else fails then, buy a soundcard.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 07:48:46 pm »

I just moved the cable from the front jack (where it had been for a temporary fix) to the back and now everything works.
Stupid computer.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 09:57:35 am »
You can try using VLC instead of Windows Media Player, that might help. But yeah, only hearing some of the sounds is the result of having the wrong audio tracks being played.
There are other worlds than these

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 05:04:12 pm »
I got something stupid wrong with my computer, whenever I try to watch a movie in windows media player, there are no voices, music and ambient sounds and sound effects are audible though, I've tested three movies, Land of the dead, The texas chainsaw massacre: the beginning, and Wrong turn, all bought from different places,and all on dvd's (legit btw).

Also trying to watch them with vlc media player doesn't work, it just sits there forever.

One other thing that may be related is that when you get in a vehicle in GTA: San Andreas, there are no outside sounds, only the radio plays if it is on.

This is such a retarded problem, I tried searching google to no avail, and don't know where else to find help but here.

[pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail] [pigtail]
Anyway I think it is working fine now.

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 04:21:54 am »
Lol, I got ridiciliously retarted problems too.
     1.My microfone decides not to work sometimes.
     2.When I open my computer it takes 5 minutes to my screen work right.
     3.And so called "random shutdowns" suddenly.

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 06:52:03 am »
it might have been the configuration of the type of speakers you have that was/is incorrect.
Right click on the speaker down right and go to playdevices (?) select speaker.
Then hit configure and select stereo.

with rear speakers mostly the background sounds are put trought and the voices trough the front ones
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:55:54 am by Serial K!ller »