Author Topic: How to Do Scenery/High detailed Things  (Read 914 times)

DarkCrusade

How to Do Scenery/High detailed Things
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:26:15 pm »
Hi there, after making lots of Maps I came to mod Weapons, Interfaces and so on ... (will release some things after christmas), but I realy dont know how to do this highdetailed things! I saw some of you making those, and many in this Forum are making their own Scenery :)

How to make them? What kind of Program do you use? (I use Paint at the Moment)? Detailed Shadings? Would be happy if anybody has a Tutorial for me to learn it ;D

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Scenery/Texturing Resources
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:02:54 pm »
Here are some helpful resources for both scenery/texture making. I don't make scenery very often, but I occasionally mess with image editing:

TheGimp:
You probably don't have Photoshop, so one nice alternative would be TheGimp, which is nice for separating certain parts of images, and doing multitudes of other things.  It's a bit to learn, so use online tutorials.

IrfanView:
Then there is IrfanView which is an easy, light-weight program for doing some basics, like contrast editing, color-changing, and resizing, etc.

Texture Merger:
RainRider's texture merger (attached at bottom) is a nice, efficient tool to use if you want to combine textures for multi-texturing.

Wood Workshop:
Wood Workshop will make nice quality, seamless wood textures.  Some other people might also find this handy, but this tool is not necessary.

Blender (not recommended):
If you're really determined, and want to make 3D scenery, I'd recommend something like Blender.  But this might be more work than you bargained for, so you shouldn't bother.  It takes a while to learn how to manipulate 3D objects, and more to texture them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:27:56 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: How to Do Scenery/High detailed Things
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:52:10 pm »
haha don't bother with blender, it will take faaaar too long to learn how to use it and isn't all that great for scenery.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 08:19:25 pm »
Yea, too true... I just happened to know some basics with it through previous experience.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:50:28 am »
Thanks, I´m testing Gimps newest version (2.6.3 I think :) ) and am happy to know, that I don´t have to do my mods (soon coming) with Paint ;D

Downloading now the rest of the programmes you suggested (but not Blender, I know this from a friend who was very desperated after trying it out 8) ), THANKS!!! :D

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 01:15:38 pm »
Well, you could use Paint to make the general layout of whatever you're making, then use something like Gimp to spice it up. But that's just my opinion. I've never bothered to do any pixel work with Gimp, but I suppose you could.

Oh yes, and there is always...

Paint.net:
I've used it occasionally for doing transparent pixel things, as it's easier (for me) to do with Paint.net. But Paint.net isn't as powerful as Gimp (or Photoshop).

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 02:05:32 pm »
Maaaan I´ve asked my father for his knowledge about TheGimp and he answerd, that he´s got ...
... a Gimp Manual (BIG)
... Photoshops newest version
... Corel Draw (1 year old)

...  :o

HAPPY xD
Texturemerger is cool :)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 07:26:37 pm »
Wow :o

Nice. That, you will do fine, I'm sure.