Author Topic: Map teleporting?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
Map teleporting?
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:03 pm »
there's a "jump" in ctf_speedrun where you have to jump into a certain spot in the air and then the map somehow teleports you through the ceiling onto the next jump.. I just want to know how the fuck that works

Player since late 2007

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
Re: Map teleporting?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:02:49 pm »
It's a bunch of polygons overlapping each other.  Basically, this leads to the player being launched into the air because he/she is colliding with so many polygons.

More info at http://wiki.soldat.nl/Polybug

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline -Zombie-

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:32:34 pm »
It's a bunch of polygons overlapping each other.  Basically, this leads to the player being launched into the air because he/she is colliding with so many polygons.

That's bouncing.

I think a teleport is just one normal polygon placed across one line of the grid, not sure though.

(that red-ish line through the middle is a polygon)

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:24:29 pm »

That's bouncing.

It's the same method for both really, only teleporting requires MORE polygons than bouncing.  Read the article I gave you.

In H|T's case, you are right about the "line"; it's actually a lot of ultra-thin polygons placed in the air, much like how it's employed in kz_classic.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:34:22 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:38:42 am »
so in order to replicate a 'teleporter' I need about 250 overlapping polygons that are 1 pixel wide?

Player since late 2007

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 12:56:32 am »
The polygons can be of any size.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 12:23:10 am »
but do thay all need to be the same size as the first? and how do u get it to teliport you to the spot u want?

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:26:48 am »
How far you're 'teleported' usually depends on the number of polygons, but there is a sort of maximum distance though.

For my teleporters, I usually use only 200 polygons.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:39:59 am »
but do thay all need to be the same size as the first?

That would be the recommended thing to do.  I never really tried to increase/decrease the size of subsequent polygons when making teleports, but there is no need to do so and that requires more effort than just making all the polys the same size.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 07:38:49 pm »
After setting down 15 or so polygons, I find that using the paste [Ctrl+V] function is very handy.

Just as a tip ;)

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:26:35 pm »
how do u control were it teliports you? or is it just like a bounce a super speed?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 05:17:34 am »
Yes you bounce very fast, but not just up! When you have a teleporter and select all the polys of it and then flip it, it will take you down :) You are just so fast, that you go through the polygonconnections, so if you want to let the teleport stop just make a crossconnection (my experience) to stop it ;)

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 12:51:31 pm »
a crossconnection being...? a polygon to hit and thus stopping the hypersonic bonce?

oh! and i tried making a transporter with about 300 polygons and i just bounced =\ (they were not as thin as possible).... so i tried to make them as thin as possible ... then i just respond some i thought its possibly just teleing me out of the maps area(it was no in a closed space) so i put it in a closed space and i still just kept respawning

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 01:37:30 pm »
Just use Mat-na's teleporters from her ctf_Warp map. I've attached the map missing from that topic along with a prefab of the teleporters.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 07:35:19 pm »
interesting.... i cant get mine to be like that =\