Author Topic: Ambience.  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
Ambience.
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:03:19 am »
Every map deserves it's own special "them" and it would be quite interesting and nice to add in some extra candy tot eh game, by allowing a map "ambience". It's simply a sound file that repeats during the game on each particular map, so some wind effects, a car  hinking it's horn, some rattling gunfire, faint screams/groans for zombie maps. It would be nice (Being a .wav you could easily edit them). With polyworks, you simply go to map settings and go to a drop down that say "Map Ambience" With "None" as it's first option.

If you wanted more realistic ambience, it would be cool if you could click on a polygon and make it have it's own sounds if you go near it (An engine, a moan, a bird chirping) but that's just me be enthusiastic, I'd liek to see the first option done.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: Ambience.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:13:52 am »
It would be nice (though at the expense of a really large map size), but I wouldn't want to wait for a whole bunch of time for a really long ambience sound. And sound files are usually pretty large and take a long time to download.

I'd say F12 with an option.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:01:00 am by STM1993 »

Offline daphenomena

• Major
  • -wP- DaPhenomena
    • FPSBanana
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:42:25 am »
It would be a nice but I bet that the map loading time would be extended and some people
would use very large files for ambient.
Good idea tho  ;)

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:33:22 am »
Both ideas are good, F12.
I know that some players are using slow internet connections, but imo it's worth it.
And maybe some compressed format should be used? Soldat has mp3 player, so mp3 should be easy to implement...

PS can you add a poll, please?

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:31 am »
Easier for everyone: Make this suggestion with premade sound files that already come with soldat and can be chosen when making the map.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:29:09 am »
Easier for everyone: Make this suggestion with premade sound files that already come with soldat and can be chosen when making the map.

I'd agree with the idea of having pre-made sound files too.

Minor Problem: What if some mapmakers want to use their own sound files?

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:03:14 pm »

Imo this could work just like scenery does: there are some deafult scenery, but mapmaker can make his own and distribute it with map.
So, there would be "background-sfx" folder, it would contain some default files which can be used in a map, but it would also be possible to put your own sound files there and use them in maps.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:07:20 pm »
i think i made this suggestion somewhere here, i am pretty much sure about that

cause im sure that is pretty much mine suggestion, ill f12
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31:15 pm »
Well Gotfryd, the problem is if the mapmaker decides to use a large sound file for the ambience. Then we'd have to download. The solution is to have some default ones, but it won't work if the mapmaker decides to use those that aren't the default. I wouldn't be surprised to see idiotic uses of ambience like how the new animated scenery would be used.

Actually,there is already something LIKE an ambience. Look inside sfx and Modules, and you'd notice "sfx_rain.xm" and a few other similar files. They act as the sound when you are playing in a map with certain weather conditions. Perhaps this suggestion is an improvement on this.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:24:24 pm »
Well Gotfryd, the problem is if the mapmaker decides to use a large sound file for the ambience. Then we'd have to download.

We can put a limit on size and number of sound files used in a map.

Actually,there is already something LIKE an ambience. Look inside sfx and Modules, and you'd notice "sfx_rain.xm" and a few other similar files. They act as the sound when you are playing in a map with certain weather conditions. Perhaps this suggestion is an improvement on this.

Good point. If it can be used for this idea, it'd be great - less coding.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:26:46 pm by Gotfryd »

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 02:46:13 pm »
i like the idea so ill F12 but it would be hard to notice these sounds over the consent gunfire =\

Offline Banksey

• Major
  • Proud smoker of Marlboro Reds
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 02:47:55 pm »
Well Gotfryd, the problem is if the mapmaker decides to use a large sound file for the ambience. Then we'd have to download. The solution is to have some default ones, but it won't work if the mapmaker decides to use those that aren't the default. I wouldn't be surprised to see idiotic uses of ambience like how the new animated scenery would be used.

Is it possible to edit these files for client side use?

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:57:38 pm »
F12 if it is: disablable, not on default maps, and has a restriction to the size so it isn't like 20 minutes long.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 05:47:34 pm »
This idea would be added to a soldat version, then after a week of its release MM should make a poll asking about if this likes us or not. If it likes us a lot and works nicely he could add custom sfx, too.

Also, don't be that extreme, not everybody would use this feature.

Offline a fool

• Major
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »
How about being able to set specific point in the map that would play a sound, but the further the player is from that point, the softer the sound is.
This would add more realism and it would leave you with smaller file size with greater possibilities.
It would be pretty dumb to hear normally a car running when it's half a mile away...

F12 then
Verily!

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 10:41:05 pm »
F12, yeah pre-sounds would make it sound cooler!
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:15 pm »
Ok, how's this. The Sounds are saved in the maps folder, but then in a sub-folder named "ambience-sfx" or something of the sort, and in Polyworks, you can set the Map Ambience to a .WAV OR A .MP3 (For smaller files). The default setting for all maps should be "None" in a drop
With polyworks, you simply go to map settings and go to a drop down that say "Map Ambience" With "None" as it's first option.

It would be an excellent option for games like Trench wars and other such games with large maps and the combat is short and sweet.

When you download the map, it should have an option that says "Soldat has detected an ambience sound file on the current map, would you oike to download?" and you can say yes or no. The maps should be playable with or without the ambience, and still count as the same map (Not "Wrong Map Version Detected" or "Map scenery (or in this case, sound) missing")

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 06:01:28 am »
Is it possible to edit these files for client side use?

Almost all Soldat files are client-sided.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 06:33:53 am »
f12

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 06:41:44 am »
nice idea

f12

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)