Author Topic: Polyworks sound area  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Polyworks sound area
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »
I agree idea that Polyworks have ``sound areas´´. I mean circle, where something sound can heard, if you're standing in it. It could make maps much more ``living´´ For an excample in forest, birds singing, or next to highway, horrible TUUT TUUT Wroom botbotbot..  :) But i'm not an engineer, if somebody wants to take this further, he can do it.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Re: Polyworks sound area
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 09:09:35 pm »
That is up to the developer of the game, not polyworks, so the chance that it will happen is low.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:47:22 am »
yeah I know that soldat needs too changes, But it still could be fun. But I hope that idea passes.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:07:58 pm »
This suggestion may happen in the next 300 - 700 years. If so very unlikely.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »
It's a good idea but needs to be worked out more; how exactly is it going to work. Other than that I say it's a great idea! Map .pms files (and the scenery they come with) are incredibly small. Adding a few Map specific sounds wouldn't hurt file/download size. Not much would need to be done in Soldat or Poly Works. Sounds would be map specific and the .pms would look for sound files just like it looks for scenery files. I see it adding polish to Soldat. It being 6 years old and not changing much tech wise, this really bumps it up.

EDIT: It's been submitted before http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=32200.0
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:35:08 pm by vehicledestroyer »
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:31:16 pm »
If you had been following the (very little) development of soldat over the past years, you would know how unlikely this is going to happen.
Just look at all the other awesome suggestions on this board, and count how many have made it into the game.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:50:44 am »
how unlikely this is going to happen
Don't be so depressing. I know that the probable this happens is very low, but as vehicledestroyer said
this really bumps it up.
, and not much changes to code aren't needed at all. (how many times I have said that  ::)  ) And If NsC or MM care this game about at all, they're doing it. or NsC. And of course they could had make true lots of other ideas here.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:34:45 pm »
The problem is that no matter how small a change is needed, enesce doesnt listen to aything we say.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:08 am »
You're right, but still..

how exactly is it going to work
If you mean, how circles are working, this is my visual: In tools bar is circle tool.
It's little same thing like scenery. Yoy choose a place where you want it, and then click your mouse again, and then you can make it bigger, tinier. You can make it oval, full round, like that.

When it's right sized, you click it and choose a sound type what can be heard. Then, when you're in soldat, you go to circle, and then you hear in excample distance war sounds.  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:49:46 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 05:30:42 am »
nice idea but it can be abused i guess, like maps could be edited that way that u get informed by sounds where the enemies are ( if player moves on polyogon sound appears)
still good idea
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 07:25:18 am »
Eh, but I mean that only those who are standing in circle, can hear sound. Wouldn't it stupid, if you're in end of some map, and suddenly you hear sound going on from highway, what's in the other side of map?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:54:31 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:05:55 am »
Eh, but I mean that only those who are standing in circle, can hear sound. Wouldn't it stupid, if you're in end of some map, and suddenly you hear sound going on from highway, what's in the other side of map?

This sounds like it would require the ambient sound code to be really heavilly coded as a separate module.

It would make more sense (To me) to re-write the existing code using the in-game music engine. I'm assuming here that like other games that play IT/XM/S3M modules that the 'music' and 'sound' samples are played in a similar fashion. It shouldn't in theory be too hard then to use the existing module 'channel volume slide' and positional info with a object on-map to determine (If player 'hearing' sound is (x) close or far from the emitter to increase or decrease the volume of the played sample.

Since the module music seems to be trumped by the 'mp3' feature this might not be the best way though. I could even be wrong about how the sound is handled (It might be a separate music/Sound routines :P) I'd really have to either peek at the sound code or talk to someone who has. X3
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -