Author Topic: Ambience.  (Read 10678 times)

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
Re: Ambience.
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 03:17:14 pm »
Once again f12-ing.

Also, it would make excellent if you want to change it, also it should be moddable.
Lets say, you play on an desert themed map, then you use a mod which changes a big part of the scenery and textures to a snowy background, he should be able to add arctic ambience, insead of dessert ambience that comes with the map.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 05:45:07 am »
I like your way of thinking  JFK. I like it. My main idea is all I'd really like to see though, an ambient track that is optional for download, I wouldn't like it to have to be scripted in, as most people can't script, and I'd like to see it on offline maps.

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 02:41:36 am »
Giving sounds to scenery should be possible with scripting probably in 1.5.1

The new scriptcore should give the server the possibility to let a client play a certain sound and add the relative distance of that sound to the player. However once a sound starts playing it will probably be impossible to change the distance and direction of the sound and thus if you want sound-scenery to be dynamical enough one could only use very short sounds/loops.
Talking about loops, there is another problem. There are no options in the new scriptcore for advanced timing of sounds (which is needed for seemless looping). It would be nice if a server can give a player a queue of soundfiles and maybe timing information. The client would handle the timing of the sounds by itself. This also gives the possibility for musical timing and thus dynamic music and/or ambience (music/ambience that changes with the state of the game).
I've been walking around with these ideas for a while and might just open a whole topic about it one day, but it seems very relevant to this.

(tl;dr)
I suggest the following things for the next scriptcore:
- Ability to alter a sound's distance/direction while playing for map-placed "sound-scenery's"
- Ability to loop/queue soundfiles for a client-side player for dynamic music and ambience.
- And if this all could be multichannel i'd be the happiest sounddesigner in soldat universe

uhh? Bump! 1.5.1 (or 1.6...?) is coming out "soon" -MM. If it's as easy as scripting maybe they could slip it in before release. Read this thread; 100% community support! This is my favorite Game Improvements / Suggestions of all time. Out of ALL of them this one has the best Game improvement to Work needed... ratio...

Make it happen.

I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 08:08:32 am »
I too would like the ability to put 'ambient' sounds in-map. Perhaps along the same way colliders are used, But the 'size' of the object determining 'ambient range' or how loud the sound is at <x> distance from the emitter. This has been bugging me as there's areas in my maps where a bit of techno-noise or some water or steam sounds could be useful.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 08:27:36 am »
nice idea, but i guess many people would just edit their sounds that way that they will know where enemies are (you said go on polygon and sound appears)
but the idea is still nice as long as the RESULT will not end in a crappy half baken shit
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2010, 09:24:27 am »
f12 too, harm that I didn't notice this topic before I posted my own.. But I agree.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 01:01:35 pm »
nice idea, but i guess many people would just edit their sounds that way that they will know where enemies are (you said go on polygon and sound appears)
but the idea is still nice as long as the RESULT will not end in a crappy half baken s**t

If the sound is 'on' a polygon; which it won't be, it would have a radius too and wouldn't reach far.
Eh, but I mean that only those who are standing in circle, can hear sound.

----

The main thing I see happening is people remaking there favorite maps and the original maps, adding sounds AND animated scenery. Bigfalls with animated scenery and water fall sounds! Jungle WITH jungle sounds! It will be to greatest thing ever.

That is all.
(Also have an option NOT to have a radius (full map sound))
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:15 pm »
None of the files would be big. As long as you only include subtle sounds, which is the whole point of ambience, nobody would notice that it was a 30 second or minute long loop.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2010, 12:46:45 am »
This does sound remotely useful...may make the game sound better. Or...enesce could make fkd up noises and make this game sound like s**t.

In this case he may use his voice...for example him taking a shit or is that just my imagination.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!