Author Topic: Read this before asking for help  (Read 13209 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chrisgbk

  • Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1739
Read this before asking for help
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:21:03 pm »
Some initial pointers:
  • Never install the stand alone dedicated server in the same directory as your client install.
  • Search all the other topics to see if someone else has had the same problem as you.

In order to get help as quickly as possible, please follow the following guidelines:
  • Do not hijack someone elses help topic. Feel free to read and follow the advice that is given in other topics, but if a given topic does not solve your specific problem, create a new thread rather than posting your new problem in that thread.
  • Choose a descriptive title for your topic, and try to provide as much information about your problem as you can, as clearly as possible. Also, specifiy the following information in your topic:
    • Operating system
    • Server version
    • Router and/or firewall in use
  • Spell and grammar check your post as much as possible. It's much easier to understand your problem when we can read it. A little bit of effort when it comes to proper spelling goes a long way. There are numerous spell checking programs, as well as dictionaries, available all over the internet as well as built in to most typing programs.
  • We understand that English may not be everyones first language. If you include the language that you natively speak in your post, it's possible that there may be someone on the forums who can help you directly in your language, or who may be able to translate better than you can. But please, keep posts in English.
  • At times, we may ask you for additional information, or ask you to follow certain steps. Please, provide any additional information we ask, and follow any instructions we give, to the best of your abilities. You are here for help, and doing what you think seems like a good idea isn't always the case, and may cause other problems that aren't apparent until later on.
  • Don't get upset if we are unable to help you with your problem immediately. Some problems take time, and venting your frustrations at us doesn't help. Look and see if perhaps there is more information you can provide, or something your forgot. All too often this is the case.

Remember: if you are unable to understand the basic computer concepts that we discuss, then you probably should not be running a server, at least not from a home computer. There are numerous hosting services available; they will handle 90% of the issues you may encounter themselves, and be able to fix the other 10% if you ask them. All you need is a bit of money.

Aside from this forum, also visit #soldat.devs on IRC (Quakenet), there will usually be someone around to help you.

The information contained in this post may be subject to change at any time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:40:32 pm by FalconPL »

Offline Denacke

  • Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • ******
  • Posts: 209
  • Cake!
Re: Read this before asking for help
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:13:13 pm »
Very good, I suggested to make something like this a few months ago, but never got around to do so. Wouldn't have made it as pro as you did right now anyways :D

Sticky I say! good job.

Offline mar77a

  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1295
  • mad
    • random stuffs
Re: Read this before asking for help
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:06:49 pm »
Just thought this might be of use: http://pastebin.com/f3b11afbf
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:23:50 pm by mar77a »

Offline EnEsCe

  • Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • ******
  • Posts: 3101
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
Re: Read this before asking for help
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:23:51 pm »
Quote
(10:04:50) (ExSoldier) like
(10:04:53) (ExSoldier) dir
(10:04:58) (ExSoldier) and stuff like that
(10:04:58) (mar77a) forget about dir
(10:05:01) (ExSoldier) lol
(10:05:02) (mar77a) it's "ls" in linux
(10:05:07) (ExSoldier) ew

Quote
Linux debian 2.6.8-2-686 #1 Tue Aug 16 13:22:48 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
#@debian:~# dir
backup.php  CA  nohup.out  soldat
#@debian:~# ls
backup.php  CA  nohup.out  soldat
#@debian:~#
Woops, dir does exist.