Author Topic: Invisible bullets = panic  (Read 8197 times)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Invisible bullets = panic
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:14:53 am »
Hi guys
You know how in war movies and stuff, when someone is nailed by a sniper it panics everyone. Like in Saving Private Ryan, when Carparzo is shot by a german sniper in a churchtower. The hole group panics, and they're forced to take cover.

I think this would be worth adding to soldat. Now, I thought to myself what's the trouble in this, and then it occured to me. Soldat being such a "fast" game, makes people just storm out and shoot in the direction from which enemy fire is coming. Why not make shots invisible?
I know people will go like, "Oh c'mon, soldat's not about being realistic!", but just think about it for a sec, it would be so much harder to aim, and there would be much more panic going on. It would make soldat a hell lot more static! Also, there would finally be an actual use for proning..

I think it would also be great for tactical events, such as confusing the enemy with crossfire. As it is now, it doesn't take more than half a second to get overwiev, and a good ruger user can easely take down the ambushing guys themselfs. In realistic at least.

I don't suggest this is a permanent solution, but perhaps it could be added as a checkbox in in the server settings.

what do you say?
thanks,
echo_trail
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
Re: Invisible bullets = panic
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 04:41:42 am »
um, no... some of us actually like dodging snipers bullets.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:47:38 am »
Oh c'mon NSC. You aren't dodging a snipers bulelt unless you're aware of the sniper before he shoots, or just out of pure luck.

The way I see it we might as well just add some excitement too it.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:15:42 am »
Mod your bullets. Its obvious no-one else wants this.

Offline Tallacaps

• Soldier
    • History surprises
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 05:19:10 am »
I like it as a server option.

Offline Zegovia

• Flagrunner
  • Blow like a storm, burst like steam.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:19:24 am »
Belive that EVERY single gun in this game uses tracer rounds.... :P

Or they could change so just  every fifth shot or so are a tracer round... ;D

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:23:48 am »
Meh, bullets aid in aiming, so no thanks.  :-\

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 05:34:34 am »
Also, there would finally be an actual use for proning..

No use? Ever heard of increased aim? Smaller target for bullets? Superman ring a bell?

Also, if there were invisible bullets, it would be too confusing. No way of getting out of the spray of that minigun. You'd get torn to bits.

IF...and thats a big IF... this was implemented then it would have to be in realistic AND it would have to be an option.

Offline The Chapter

• Major(1)
  • Camper.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 05:50:20 am »
I actually like this idea. Shooting at what you think the target is, seeing your buddy next to go down, making you hit the deck and fire at what your thinking is the enemy to actually find out he's behind you. Heh. Very cool.

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 05:51:29 am »
Not really to soldat.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 05:52:44 am »

Because you and EnEsCe are everyone.

I'm impartial -- I'd really like to test it out before making a judgement.  All the rest of you might at least try it out some time to see what it's like and then tell Echo what you think.  Meanwhile, don't knock an idea that can easily be just another option...and who wouldn't want more room for customization?

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 08:27:53 am »
Why not make shots invisible?

Because people already whine when they get shot with a one hit kill weapon.  If you get killed without having a chance to dodge you feel like the game is unfair.  Your suggestion will bring the wonderful world of whining not other weapons.  Player panic is not a good thing.

No use? Ever heard of increased aim? Smaller target for bullets? Superman ring a bell?

X-Rayz summed up my thoughts exactly.  You'd be surprised at how many shots you can dodge just by going prone.  If another player is shooting at me, I'll go prone and kill them with the ruger while they're still firing at where I was.  Also, you can avoid a good deal of m79 and barret shots by supermanning (other guns too, but those are the ones people complain about).
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 08:33:08 am »
I like it . I was planning on suggesting it but I was afraid that you guys would flame me XD.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 08:35:45 am »
its really not for soldat.

I would like to see this for the barret only, and obviously, the m79 stays.

soldat isn't a movie, so what would be looking over your box and the guy next to you falls would be something like this...

you are camping your base and major spawns,
sniper takes him out.
major:WTF!!!!!!
major gets shot a second time
major: OMFG GEH
major continues to be shot up by this sniper/spawner until the sniper runs out of bullets,
sniper is easily seen on top of the hill /victory ing
*skips slow motion aiming crap from the movies*
Bang!
you  realize you picked an ak not a barret
Bangbangbangbang bangbangbangbang bang
you:PWNED!!!!
major has left the game

both of you are missing the best part of proning LOW FREAKING BINK i thought someone would realize it... jeez
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline TDL

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 10:39:54 am »
In realistic bullets (and nades) are invisible if you can't see the enemy.

And I'm against the idea because it'd just create TOO much confusion.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 10:56:13 am »

X-Rayz summed up my thoughts exactly. You'd be surprised at how many shots you can dodge just by going prone. If another player is shooting.. Bla, Bla bla..

Yes, I am aware of that. I meant simply for the original idea of proning. Or the original thought of it as I see it: To lie in a bush somewhere, pretty much camping. I don't mean to make this a camping discussion thread, but let's face it, camping is okay.

But it's of little matter. I was just sharing this idea with ya'll, thinking you might find it interresting. Appearently you don't. That's okay. I just think this society has to be carefull not to get all too conservative.

I like it . I was planning on suggesting it but I was afraid that you guys would flame me XD.

Geez, why would you? ¬_¬

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 07:59:35 pm »
Invisible bullets = panic? They wouldn't panic, they'd just go "wt..." Heck, they already do due to lag :P But if it's just another option, and if it wouldn't take very long to code in, I'm not against it at all.

Offline Dark Jesus

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 08:08:17 pm »
nah
it just would make stuff complicated

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 09:19:29 pm »
Deleted Valorman's enlarged "No" that had no accompanying explaination.

This is actually an awesome suggestion. In real life, you can't see a fired round in mid-air. Modern day American military personnel actually have a flare-like bullet every few rounds to show them where they are firing (this obviously gives away their position, so they only use it in certain scenarios.) I think it would totally add to the realism of the game and be well accepted by the community, granted there is a server-side option to switch the feature on/off.

Edit - Valorman, if you want to debate, do it via PM or in another forum. This is not an acceptable place.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:31:57 pm by ElephantHunter »
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 09:30:30 pm »
Hmm, I don't like the sound of it, because ducking in fear for your life etc is really for realistic mode. Normal mode is all about the aiming.

I use tracer rounds so that I can see me my bullets (and they normally are my bullets as relatively few people use the FN Minimi) in grey maps. They are bright red with a bit of white/yellow at the back. I've also thought about colour coding each weapons bullets so that you know what is being fired at you (if its not already obvious), although I have not done that yet.

Edit: I might liek it as a server option, but not all the time.

I was just about to joke about how people always say "mod it yourself" even though the person is asking to make a proper change to the game, and then you actually said it.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:54:14 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988