Author Topic: Invisible bullets = panic  (Read 8196 times)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: Invisible bullets = panic
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2006, 03:18:11 am »
I agree^^
But somehow people to have great faith in their neo abilities when it comes to this. I'd like to take it up for the test!

I'm working on a tactical mod that replaces grenades with EnEsCe's flashbang (in strings, gfx, and behavior), makes every bullet move faster, increase reload, and now, bullets will be invisible (some at least).

This sounds great, man. You probably will anyway, but make sure to post about it when it's done..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline nidpants

• Major(1)
  • A little red...
    • Wholesome Industries
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2006, 11:22:31 am »
I think this is a good idea for Realistic, and for the Barrett (don't flame me) in all modes. I'm not sure about the AK-74, AUG, or MP5, but the Minimi and the XM214 would obviously have tracers like they do in real life. Not every bullet, but every 4th or 5th bullet.

But nid, how would we guide our shots? Well, you can do it like they do in real life - watch where you're aiming, and guess, then watch for that little splash of dirt, and use that as your guide. Would things get confusing in a huge firefight? Obviously. Does this actually happen? Duh.

Now to defend my position about non-Realistic: The Barrett is a rifle. It is a .50 caliber/12.7mm anti-material round, but far more importantly, it's a SNIPER RIFLE. The keyword is "sniper", meaning that the shooter is supposed to SNIPE. Sniping emphasizes marksmanship, patience, and CONCEALMENT. Tactically, snipers are used for two purposes: taking out high-value targets, and disruption. There are no high-value targets in Soldat, so that leaves us with only one purpose for snipers - but disruption doesn't exactly work when it's very clear exactly where the shot came from. I realize that non-Realistic Soldat is not supposed to be reflective of real-world tactics and use of firearms, but seeing the exact trajectory of the bullet defeats the purpose of the Barrett altogether, destroying its biggest strength - its range. If any moron with an AK sees the bullet before it hits his buddy, he can just spray in that general direction, and send the sniper to Bink Hell, destroying his chance of a second shot. Let's not forget that the Barrett's effective range is easily exceeded by the random 45-degree spray most of the automatics.

Besides, if one is able to dodge a sniper rifle's shot, surely he's smart and agile enough to be able to do so without godlike knowledge of exactly where that shot came from, even if that means something as cowardly as leaving the backflips behind and looking for a collider or crater to hide behind. Even if one could dodge an 854 m/s round, (which I find dubious, but am not outright dismissing), this once again speaks for the lack of any role for the Barrett, since it's a one-shot-one-kill kind of weapon.

Offline A

• Soldier
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2006, 11:26:15 am »
There's already an option to turn off bullets, and most people won't like this idea, so just count your losses and uncheck that box already.

Offline Drakor

• Major
  • ... Do I need to say it?
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2006, 12:30:10 pm »
There is NO option to turn off bullets!!! It turns off bullet TRAILS!!! the whitish semi-transparent doom that is a long vapor trail. NOT making bullets invisible, but making their TRAILS invisible.
100% of the people who see this signature will have visited http://Http://forums.soldat.pl. Put this in your signature if you like pie... or cake! :D

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2006, 12:50:02 pm »

Dude, look at the picture and then imagine it with no bullets. smart? Nope.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2006, 01:44:41 pm »
Dude, most people ain't playing Mecha soldat, are they? Nope.

Offline nidpants

• Major(1)
  • A little red...
    • Wholesome Industries
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2006, 03:38:01 pm »
numgum, you're right; if you're flying around and there's no reference, then lack of tracers is a terrible idea (wouldn't mecha pilots always use tracers on rounds in space?).  But what I'm talking about has an actual point of reference, that is, dirt clouds. The "vapor trails" don't bother me, i would leave them on because they actually look like tracers, but being able to see the actual bullets without a tail seems very silly, like i'm playing Mega Man or Contra or something.

I would even say this is a good opportunity to make Soldat more exciting, with the sound of bullets flying past your ear when they stray too close but don't actually hit. If you think about every war or action movie you've ever seen, most of them don't rely on you actually being able to see the trajectory of the bullets, they rely on their frightening effect on the environment (dirt, doors, windows etc.) and unfortunate characters to give you the sense of danger.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2006, 05:35:30 pm »
An option would be nice. But I don't want it to be default. It sounds like an interesting idea, just to mix up the play a little bit.

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2006, 09:55:37 pm »
good to hear that all of u are behind it.  jst one thing tho, what the hell is Mecha Soldat?

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2006, 10:00:23 pm »
Michal's other game.  He only gave it to a few of us, though.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2006, 04:14:18 am »
No he didn't. It was puplicated for download in the old forum. It's one of the most complete mods out there, and really sweet.
It's just incomparable to soldat, in this particular matter anyways.

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2006, 06:14:09 pm »
do u think i could get a link? looks interesting.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2006, 10:41:46 am »
Doh, thats my Eradication wars mod... theres 2 guys in a ''dogfight'' on ctf_minerva with both having a RX-megarifle.

Still it would look very boring if there wouldnt be any bullets. just tiny fire muzzles and ppl bleeding for no apperant reason.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2006, 03:17:00 pm »
I agree with you. But it's still nor comparable to the ordinary soldat, since in you mod bullets are far more important as a visual factor. I mean, a lasergun isn't much of a lasergun if you don't see the laser, right? That's just not fun...

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2006, 03:27:02 pm »
Ya he's right . There is a solution to this no bullet problem. Make the bullets go so fast that they go straight for an entire screen lenght. Thats what I did in my new mod.

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:29 am »
You can already turn your bullets off in soldat config.

Hm how?!
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 11:22:38 am »
You can already turn your bullets off in soldat config.

Hm how?!
just delete the last 7 lines of the soldat config. and delete weapons.ini
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Death MachineX350

• Camper
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 07:28:00 pm »
Invisble bullets would suck hard. A whole team with barretts+ spawn camping in bushes= A suck *** Soldat.

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2006, 05:08:08 pm »
id guess that next people are gonna be goin for bullets travellin mostly straight, AND have increased speed so theres no way to dodge.  whats next.......
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 05:13:44 pm by Kaine »

Offline Darth

• Soldier
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2006, 03:33:35 pm »
There are plenty if actual uses for proning.

I like the idea about what you said when comparing to Saving Private Ryan. But it just wouldn't fit in. The game is too fast, action-packed to have invisible bullets. All people would say is "HACKER" or "WTH??!?!" or just not notice.