Author Topic: [Request] Feature: JabberID  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Mr

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
[Request] Feature: JabberID
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:18:19 am »
We got ICQ, AIM, MSN,YIM... but what about Jabber? Would be nice if it's possible to set that one too.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: [Request] Feature: JabberID
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:49:08 am »
Does anyone one besides you actually use it? I've never heard of it.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:51:46 am »
Jabber is an open source protocol. Google Talk uses Jabber.
I don't see any reason to not support it.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:10:09 am »
I don't see any reason why not, but I think more people would prefer adding an xfire field instead of jabber.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Mr

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:20 am »
Jabber is a secure protocol, used by big companys, but it's free, and doesn't need a mainserver, still if you can chat with everyone who is regiered on any server which has internet access. So what about adding both, Jabber and XFire?

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:11:40 pm »
Jabber is a secure protocol, used by big companys, but it's free, and doesn't need a mainserver, still if you can chat with everyone who is regiered on any server which has internet access. So what about adding both, Jabber and XFire?

Jabber can be secure and it is used by some companys, including the last one I worked with. (shamless plug for Open Fire, which I was admin of)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:03:09 pm »

Jabber can be secure and it is used by some companys, including the last one I worked with. (shamless plug for Open Fire, which I was admin of)

Mr was mostly correct too... I thought Jabber required encryption, and many companies do use it.  I've been meaning to set up a Jabber server for u13.net, and maybe I'd set one up for soldat.pl and hand out free IDs or something if MM allowed it.

I'll look into adding Jabber and XFire to profiles.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »
Yes, add Xfire's. I am sure many people here uses it.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:27:58 pm »
Xfire is a piece of crap why should anyone even acknowledge its existence. And nobody uses jabber so why bother?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:50:20 pm »
Xfire is a piece of crap why should anyone even acknowledge its existence.
Because it's really not a piece of crap and can be very handy for a lot of things.
Plus it's used by a lot more people in the soldat community than most other chat programs.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:16:06 pm »
Quantity is not quality

There should really be some kind of scanner that doesn't let you get on the forums from a computer that has xfire or has had xfire within the last 6 months.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:26:49 pm »
Xfire is a piece of crap why should anyone even acknowledge its existence. And nobody uses jabber so why bother?
I agree, I don't like xfire but the fact is that people use it here and it is for gamers *shrug*

some people use jabber, maybe more would if they could see that others use it.   gotta find out if SMF will let me add extra profile fields, I can't find that part of the control panel

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 07:51:08 pm »

Mr was mostly correct too... I thought Jabber required encryption, and many companies do use it.  I've been meaning to set up a Jabber server for u13.net, and maybe I'd set one up for soldat.pl and hand out free IDs or something if MM allowed it.

I don't believe I have ever signed into a jabber service unencrypted but I am pretty sure that I noticed an option to do it. I could be wrong there. And speaking from experience, most places I have worked or gotten a peek into, do not use in-house chat servers. They use commercial services, like MSN or Yahoo. I have not seen any using skype yet though.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 09:06:39 pm »
I agree, I don't like xfire but the fact is that people use it here and it is for gamers *shrug*

some people use jabber, maybe more would if they could see that others use it.   gotta find out if SMF will let me add extra profile fields, I can't find that part of the control panel
Well, you could always hard code it in. From what I've seen through google, you can't add fields and the only way to add more contact fields is to hack it.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 09:08:24 pm »
That makes me significantly less likely to do it.  I'll see if there's a mod for SMF that can do it

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 06:03:18 am »
Meh, it beats MSN.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 08:28:13 am »
No it doesn't, not by a long shot. xFire is reserved for those who devote themselfs to playing games and stuff. If you know any people on the outside, this program is useless.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 03:43:05 pm »
well, xfire is great for gaming for two reasons:
ingame chat, no need to alt+tab
*swears at battle eye*

server list, easy to get fave servers list from different games at one place
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 04:45:26 pm »
well, xfire is great for gaming for two reasons:
ingame chat, no need to alt+tab
*swears at battle eye*

server list, easy to get fave servers list from different games at one place
Right, and those are it's only strengths, in addition to keeping track of your games and chatting to fellow gamers.

As for MSN, AOL, YIM, ICQ, and Jabber, they're all equally fine if you use pidgin because it interfaces with all of exactly the same way at exactly the same time (which is what I do).

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 05:20:56 pm »
The principles behind Jabber are better though, since each domain can operate their own server and have them talk to each other, just like how e-mail works