Poll

Do you like the modifications?

Yes
No
Maybe
Will I be executed if I say "yes"? (small joke)

Author Topic: Halo: Soldat Evolved... Yea or Nay?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
Re: Halo: Soldat Evolved... Yea or Nay?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »
I think gladiator respect your work. I don't think the problem is about respect.
You did spend a lot of time on that mod and you do not want that to be "taken". And we get that. However, in any shape or form, he did not plagiarize it, simply because it was never released.

EDIT:

Ohh FMBM(whatever his name is) is not so active. You are the sole ruler of this mighty kingdom.

EDIT:

Even if he tried to take the credit for all work, which he didn't, Everyone still knows that you made the shapes and he twicked it.(The truth is out and he can't change that) If he succeeded, It's a thumbs up for you too, since you contributed to it.

However if you locked this, we(me at least) would all assume that you took so much effort to moderate this thread simply to save your own ass(selfishness), and we(I at least) will all be given a much clearer insight of how uptight you are when comes to even borrowing littlest of your stuff.(not a great quality)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:16:35 pm by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:33 pm »
I'm going to say again that I don't really care that much if my work is taken, really. Don't forget about SK's work that WAS released and infringed upon. Despite the fact that SK doesn't have anything to say against this case, can you say that this action of releasing a mod that is heavily based on preexisting mods without prior conferring with the original creators is justified in any way? Gladiator2's argument [also made in the past by Dairy] about improvement is under consideration, but how far can that go before it hurts the original intentions of the original mod author? Infringement is an issue that will come back in the future, and how we deal with it now can determine how we take on future cases. I want to set good examples here so that things can regulate themselves well enough.

This is not just an issue about this specific mod in front of us. This is not about HLT; rather, I am using this as a case study, so keep the debate about concepts and not lame personal issues.

Excruciator, all you have done is consume the products of others' labor. How much can you attest to the effort spent creating a full featured mod from scratch? [Frunk if you are half as smart as I think you are you will not try to contrast the question with the bolded statement]

However if you locked this, we(me at least) would all assume that you took so much effort to moderate this thread simply to save your own ass(selfishness), and we(I at least) will all be given a much clearer insight of how uptight you are when comes to even borrowing littlest of your stuff.(not a great quality)

It was my idea in the first place for this discussion. I am very much considering re-opening the original mod topic since there's nothing really from either SK [AFAIK] or I against his express use of the graphics. The original topic's lock was done because of the type of action, and not because of actual infringement. Subtle difference, but it does matter.

However, I want to make clear that any further encroachment upon the security of modders who wish their work to not be touched will not be tolerated, and any further modification-'improvements' by gladiator2 must be done with prior consent and credits to the original authors upon release. This will also extend to all other mods.

You can argue all you want about how modders like FMBM are too selfish, but I believe that it is almost a duty that I see that their wishes are honored.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:06:39 am by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 05:27:15 am »
Lock the thread all ready, you havn't proven shit..

I agree with you both tbh, but I do believe this mod isn't 100% his own, so yeah, punishments?
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 07:37:32 am »
^Meh, if he does lock it no one will prove shit. All locking it does is shove the issue aside until the next time it comes up.

how far can that go before it hurts the original intentions of the original mod author?

Honestly? Pretty far. Short of claiming the work as their own, nothing they take is of any harm to the original author. It shouldn't necessarily be done that way, but the act of releasing a mod is one of giving to the community, and as I've said before, if one person likes a new rendition better, then technically no one was hurt.

[Frunk if you are half as smart as I think you are you will not try to contrast the question with the bolded statement]

No, my side has been a rant against the idiocy of the community in general.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:42:03 pm by Lord Frunkamunch »
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 09:14:28 am »
You can argue all you want about how modders like FMBM are too selfish, but I believe that it is almost a duty that I see that their wishes are honored.

Sounds very much like an excuse to me.

An modification would not hurt the original author because is modified. Technically he is not even stealing your work.

I still don't get how can you pin people for modifying something that does not technically exist.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:08 am »
Hey really you made 2 mods and 2 copied ones.
IMO it's clear that they are copied without credit, even if they are edited i can still catching the original outline, and I think that you shouldn't do it, because IS NOT YOUR WORK

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 10:48:36 am »
Nice looking MOD. I would love some Halo styled servers with low defense, but you heal after a bit.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 05:47:07 pm »
IMO it's clear that they are copied without credit, even if they are edited i can still catching the original outline, and I think that you shouldn't do it, because IS NOT YOUR WORK

It's another Halo mod. Some similarity is to be expected. This time around, they're different to the point where if he hadn't said they were based off of someone else's work, you'd never know. Especially the outlines. When it of the same game, you can never know. I've had several of my guns turn out almost exactly like someone else's to a few pixels, because we used the same base picture. It's not grounds for locking. Period.

Plus...

The original topic's lock was done because of the type of action, and not because of actual infringement. Subtle difference, but it does matter.

That's no longer an issue in this update.

[finally on topic]

Could you post a better screenshot? You really can't see much detail in a bad quality .jpeg like the one you've posted.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 06:53:39 pm »
Brb guys, making a halo mod to upset espadon.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »
I don't understand, why can't people just add more guns to mods, instead of the regular 10 + 4 secondaries. Be more creative, script more and better guns, it will make soldat modding a lot more fun and a variety of choice.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »
I don't understand, why can't people just add more guns to mods, instead of the regular 10 + 4 secondaries. Be more creative, script more and better guns, it will make soldat modding a lot more fun and a variety of choice.
because your face burnt.

no seriously, it's not possible. its like saying "why don't we add vehicullzzz lolpop"
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:25 pm »
because your face burnt.

no seriously, it's not possible. its like saying "why don't we add vehicullzzz lolpop"
i think he meant make more weapons, and then the user can choose which weapon to use

the most full modifications have more weapons, you just use lord ivahns program, or do it like skykanden
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=32557.0
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »
Your smartass answers aren't needed, Bootz.

This time around, they're different to the point where if he hadn't said they were based off of someone else's work, you'd never know. Especially the outlines.

Which is also kind of a reason why I prompted the poll since you can never be sure when the local self-proclaimed devil's advocate says something just to be different. Come now, Frunk:

I know you meant well but as you can see below, the commonalities shared between your gfx and others' are just too close and so I'm going to have to remove the link and lock this until you can come back with original graphics, or permission from their respective authors. The ones I've marked I'm sure aren't the only ones made from hijacked graphics, so don't try to slip by. :)

Index:

1 Spartan Laser [HLT]
2 Energy Sword [Halo 3.5]
3 LAAG ingame [Halo 3.5]
4 Energy Sword ingame [Halo 3.5]

Images on right hand side are from Halo:SE

...Didn't use anybody's graphics, mate. I may have loosely based mine on the work of others, but all of my graphics are created from scratch.... and they took a long time.

G2
Read the original thread before posting, Frunk.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:30:18 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:53 pm »
No, you know what, nevermind.

This content was originally posted by Meandor
---
Of course, stolen/ripped/edited mods aren't allowed.
You can rip and edit, as long as you don't claim as your work some images you found on google and/or resized, and give credit to their original author/source.
If you want to edit a mod of another member of the community ask for his permission first

Rules are rules. You guys aren't worth being nice to. The more reasonable I try to be the more smartassery I get back.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:20:51 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT