Author Topic: Idea for an assault-style map  (Read 755 times)

Offline Eagle

• Major
  • PERSONAL TEXT SUCKS, LIKE SIGNATURES!
Idea for an assault-style map
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:04:43 pm »
Hopefully this is the right forum for script suggestions.

Anyway, I thought of a possible way to create a UT-style assault map for Soldat.  As far as I know, there is no way to change the spawn points on a map ingame by any means.  However, I thought of a possible workaround.

We all know about jump pads on Soldat, where you put a few dozen polys on the same spot, and colliding there will launch your soldat.  I was thinking, to make "spawn points" farther forward, use those jump pads to quickly get soldats to where they need to be.

The issue arises, of course, of being able to jump far beyond where you are supposed to be yet.  The solution, however, would require the scripting.  I'm pretty sure it's possible to spawn auto-aiming turrets.  It seems it would be possible to use those turrets to "guard" those jump pads until, say, a certain area was penetrated by attacking soldats, at which point, the turret would be deleted and the pad would now be accessible to launch attacking soldats to the front lines.

The end of the map could simply be both the white and black flags of an INF map right on top of each other, so that reaching it would be an instant win.  This would also provide for a time limit for the attackers (red) to win.  Upon victory/defeat, the teams could be swapped.

Lemme know what y'all think, or if any of you know how to do this.
SIGNATURES SUCK!

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Re: Idea for an assault-style map
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:32:48 pm »
Quote from: Eagle
Anyway, I thought of a possible way to create a UT-style assault map for Soldat.  As far as I know, there is no way to change the spawn points on a map ingame by any means.  However, I thought of a possible workaround.
You can move spawns with scripting

We all know about jump pads on Soldat, where you put a few dozen polys on the same spot, and colliding there will launch your soldat.  I was thinking, to make "spawn points" farther forward, use those jump pads to quickly get soldats to where they need to be.
You can move players where you want with scripting.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:05:25 am »
Note that you cannot move bots, best work-around would be either killing them, respawning them at the given location, or kicking them, and readding them using Avarax's one function to spawn a bot at a position

Offline Eagle

• Major
  • PERSONAL TEXT SUCKS, LIKE SIGNATURES!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »
You can move spawns with scripting

Hm, I didn't know either of those.  Has anybody ever tried making an assault map with a script, then?  It does seem, though, that you'd need a particular script for each map.
SIGNATURES SUCK!

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:49:17 am »
Just a script which reads a file for each map and moves players accordingly.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs