So,

No!
7 (31.8%)
Yes!
14 (63.6%)
Maybe
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Gun Overheat  (Read 9894 times)

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
Gun Overheat
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:13:02 am »
Okay I think I just come up with a good idea. How about we have gun over-heat. This means if you spray too much, the gun becomes to overheat and you cant shoot anymore or as much. This is a good way to stop sprayers. This is a very realistic option because guns very do much overheat and become extremely hot which therefore cause you stop shooting.

I rekon, if the gun is overheating a lot when your using it, a red indication or sound will indicate that the gun is ready to overheat and for you to stop shooting so much. Imo, I think it should be when you have been continuously shooting for more than 20 bullets? Feel free to discuss this idea and post your thoughts and ideas.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:11:33 am by scarface09 »
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
Re: Gun Overheat
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:21:40 am »
This had already been done with the turrets in the airpirates, etc.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:34:05 am »
Self-bink already replicates this by making your aim dodgy if you fire for too long. F11.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:08:49 am »
F11, pretty much was already done, and would slow down soldat, making it less face paced.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:56:12 am »
Self-bink already replicates this by making your aim dodgy if you fire for too long. F11.

Exactly.

However, I'd support adding visual and sound effects of overheating which would correspond to the gun being self-binked.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:03:11 am »
Well thats what I'm sort of trying to get to...
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:12:33 am »
Ah. I though you suggested to add another anti-spray feature working like self-bink.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:16:06 am »
Well, Im sort of trying to get different ideas into different people's heads...see one idea drifts to another which will eventually work its way into one big idea.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:28:24 am »
Hey, I think this is a good addition for weapon.ini modding. We've all always wanted greater variety in our modding, now this is one of the things I'd like to see that could be made into an option. It was also impossible to make the gun have the appearance of being overheated.

I'd F12 this for modding capabilities.
If it is for the actual, default balance, it's very strictly a F11, no.

For those of you who want to see an actual M2 Stat Gun (turret) becoming a portable primary weapon, this is the closest I can do (except for the self-bink) and hasn't been tested yet. It is also not intended to be balanced. Take this and replace any weapon that allows automatic fire other than the turret's own stats (eg: M79, Minigun, Steyr Aug, LAW...).

Damage=180
FireInterval=9
Ammo=1
ReloadTime=1
Speed=360
BulletStyle=14
StartUpTime=10
Bink=-70
MovementAcc=1
Recoil=0

Note: You may want to consider changing bullet style to 1 instead.

You should be able to use it just like a normal turret, except that it has self-bink rather than overheat, and so your tactics in using this portable stat gun is a lot more effective than normal.

The tactic to keep shooting a Stat Gun without having to overheat is to fire in bursts. A burst of 2 shots is very effective for that, an occasional but accurate burst of 3 and then a slightly longer rest also works for a definite kill against a threatening enemy. Although the turret is pretty useless in actual games, I think you'd be pleased to know this tactic when you're planting a turret in a zombie game, for this is how I survive and keep a constant stream of fire with my turret. Use together with Berserker mode for a definite kill in just one shot - you can mow down a whole horde of zombies.

In this case, since it uses self-bink, you can fire in a burst of about 3-4 and still not be affected, so it still doesn't feel very "turret"-like.
EDIT: It has now been tested and works well. The self-bink is too low though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:57:00 am by STM1993 »

Offline Farah

• Major
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:32:52 pm »
a limited amount ammo of does the same thing.
try again clownman
<EnEsCe> you challenge me I will make your Soldat life a living hell.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 12:46:25 pm »
 F11, no matter what, this would make all automatic weapons unfair.

Offline Atashi

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:38:04 pm »
F12 kind of like my idea :)
+ [Atashi] warrior - the only one who fights for Chii (Elda).

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 12:04:03 am »
try again clownman
Why thank you Sonozaki

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 02:20:28 am »
F11, because what it does is it overheats the gun, not just stops players from spraying. Let me put it this way:
Someone who sprays - will have his gun start overheating.
But
Someone who has his gun overheating - is not necessarily someone who sprays.
So this will affect other players who don't spray, and they don't deserve such punishment. :|

Besides, measures against spraying have already been taken. The longer distance the bullet flies - the less damage it does. So a noobish spray (as opposed to what I call "smart spray") will be mostly harmless. If not - there are many ways to avoid spray and use its disadvantages against the sprayer.

But like STM1993 mentioned, this setting wouldn't be a bad addition for modding purposes. Though IMO it's not worth the time put into coding this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:24:37 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 02:43:12 am »
try again clownman
If you're referring to my post... I'd wonder if you have even tried that stat gun tactic before...

Offline Farah

• Major
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25:01 pm »
are you clownman stm. think about it.
<EnEsCe> you challenge me I will make your Soldat life a living hell.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 04:29:33 pm »
Limited ammo does not do the same thing...what are you on about?

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 01:29:57 am »
are you clownman stm. think about it.
No offense, but it is you who needs to think:

Suppose you fire continuously, then yes, you can only fire 18 bullets before you are overheated and must cool down. That is true.

Then suppose you actually stopped firing halfway for a moment, then fire again. You can fire more than 18 bullets before you overheat.

Now suppose you fire three bullets at once, then stop, then fire three again, and you continue this pattern. You'd find that you can shoot a lot more continuously and for a much longer period of time before you actually overheat. Fire in bursts of 2 instead, you'd practically not overheat.

When you shoot a turret, it will slowly heat up, but will begin to cool as soon as you stop holding down the shoot button. It's nothing like a reload - it's more like a self-bink that has been modified to limit the amount of bullets fired rather than limit the accuracy of the gun. All guns must reload as soon as they run out of ammo. However, the stationary gun can keep firing as long as it doesn't overheat.

To further prove my statement, let's say you have a Steyr Aug with 1 ammo and 1 reload and fireinterval 6, but -50 self-bink. If you fire in controlled bursts, the self-bink wouldn't really screw up your aiming, but if you fired continuously all the way, you'd be as good as not even firing as your bullets begin to fly everywhere rather than where you are aiming at. Compare this with overheating, don't you find them very similar?

Now let's suppose our Steyr Aug is the way it is now but with -50 self-bink. It'd still work just like the above, but has a limited 30 ammo. You can control the burst-fire extremely well, but in the end you'd still need to stop shooting as you need to reload. That doesn't make sense when you compare this to the turret.

Instead of saying "think about it", why don't you explain?

Finally, if you still don't see the picture and cannot provide a good explanation, this argument is over.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:46:28 am by STM1993 »

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 03:55:43 am »
Uhm... STM... he wasn't referring to you as an actual Clownman, but the person who's alias is Clownman (in this case, scarface09). :S
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 04:46:17 am »
Yes SpiltCoffee...whatever you say