Author Topic: Where is soldat going to?  (Read 5958 times)

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
Re: Where is soldat going to?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 06:34:03 pm »
I have lots of friends who don't play it any longer because it's not free.

do you really

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 07:17:03 pm »
Well I just registered soldat to support MM and others who're making soldat. So I thought, I won't have any adverts now.

But I just get some advert in the installer which could just install some crap on my PC.. So I think that this should get removed.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=32819.0
Just say no to the thing in the installer.

Offline Shadow_Knight

• Major
  • ingame a.k.a Hitokiri Batoussai.
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 08:38:48 am »
I have lots of friends who don't play it any longer because it's not free.

do you really

yes i do.

Have you epicly failed today?

Offline Essentle

• Major(1)
  • since 1.1.5
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:12 am »
My friend told me he got a virus on his computer from installing soldat.
Who knows..

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 11:10:16 am »
Wow, so there's an ad or two in the FREE version of Soldat. Do ads hurt you that mu... AUGH!!! I HAVE THE QUAKE LIVE PAGE
OPEN AND THERE ARE ADS!!! THEY'RE RAPING MY EYES!!! THEY'RE RAPING MY EYES AND IT HURTS!!! AUGH!!

In conclusion: Stop wasting space in the forum, making stupid threads about the most pointless things. Again, for the so manyeth time I have to re-iterate
the fact that out of most game designers - individuals/companies, very few have been dedicated to their game, improving it,
listening to the fans and community involved and very very few let you play the whole thing for free. Since you are playing the
game for free, you don't get to bitch about an ad.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:45 am »
Well, actually the game is shareware and not freeware. You need to register to unlock all features = shareware.

Offline hock3y

• Major(1)
    • Soldat Armory
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »
My friend told me he got a virus on his computer from installing soldat.
Who knows..

As long as he downloads it from soldat.pl, that isn't possible.

Offline Lumen-Shroom

• Soldier
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 04:47:25 pm »
"Adware or advertising-supported software is any software package which automatically plays, displays, or downloads advertisements to a computer after the software is installed on it or while the application is being used."

aka

(unregistered) soldat is adware.

edit: but that's not thing I wanted to discuss.
How far should soldat go with advertising?

I'm going to assume you know how to read, because you, miraculously, found it in yourself to type this website in the address bar

Just because a game contains an advertisement image does not mean it contains adware- Adware is a type of software that randomly makes pop-up ads appear on your screen.

If I may so inquire, don't come back.

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 03:13:26 am »
a Is it advertising something?  Maybe MM needs to get some more money.  I think he wants soldat to become a bigger game, with more players. :)

b I think it's a good idea that Soldat is getting more advertised. 8)
a) How is 'more money' going to bring more players? Is MM going to pay them to play? Count me in.
b) I think you mistake what is currently being advertised; it's not soldat advertising itself in the soldat installer...
Well I just registered soldat to support MM and others who're making soldat.
Exactly why I registered (twice  - lost my first registration T_T), and why I would not bother again given the chance. To answer the original question I think it's fairly clear where soldat's heading to; down the drain. It's gonna be active as long as there is advertising and _server rental ;)_ revenue to be made, regardless of any 'community' or whatever.

edit:
replaced hosting with rental, disambiguation.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:16:03 am by n2j3 »

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 03:50:02 am »
register,register,register, what for those that can't? there's lot o people here that can't pay for registering soldat, or any other game. Never considered an under 18 registration with no fees attached? Most of us who can't pay it quit after a while without all that cool stuff.  I have lots of friends who don't play it any longer because it's not free.

Well quite frankly your 'friends' sound like epic cheapskates, considering you have to play £15-40 for most of the popular games out there, and World of Warcraft requires you to pay each month IIRC; while Soldat is free apart from an optional charge that, considering how little you get for your money (and how much you get for free), is more like a donation rather than a premium expansion. Honestly, do they pay for any of their games?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:54:49 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 03:59:44 am »
Is this argument over an advertisement really necessary? It's unbelievable at the extent you guys go to over something someone is trying to make money out of. Seriously, some people are actually interested in this stuff/advertisements and that is why it's there. If your not interested then just deny or say no to the installer or whatever it is. If you don't like it send a complaint in an email to Michal Machinkowski and state your point.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Shadow_Knight

• Major
  • ingame a.k.a Hitokiri Batoussai.
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 08:41:34 am »
Maybe the solution stands for a choice box in the installation with that option.

Have you epicly failed today?

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 04:10:40 pm »
It used to be freeware, then we get some lousy advert on starting soldat.
And now we get some adware in the installer.
Where is this going?

first of all the advert is there to support the game. if you do not like it then register the game and support the developer.