Author Topic: Official Religious Debate Thread  (Read 64336 times)

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
Re: Official Religious Debate Thread
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 12:09:24 pm »
The only question I have is if Atheists don't believe in God or any of that stuff, why do they go out and read the bible just to try and tell people he doesn't exist?

Trying to convince y'all maybe?

You don't have to be enjoying whatever you are reading.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 12:22:58 pm »
The only question I have is if Atheists don't believe in God or any of that stuff, why do they go out and read the bible just to try and tell people he doesn't exist?
Because atheists want to know if they are right with the hypothesis that god doesn't exists. Believers don't even want to know any science so they will never know anything to stop believing in.

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »

Reading and learning about something you hate to convince people that you don't believe in what you're reading and therefore they shouldn't either? Makes a lot of sense to me... </sarcasm>
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 12:26:19 pm »

Reading and learning about something you hate to convince people that you don't believe in what you're reading and therefore they shouldn't either? Makes a lot of sense to me... </sarcasm>

You gotta have a reason to tell people to quit. And the reason would be the contradictions in the bible.

Jewish people would still read mein kampf just to understand what's going on. They don't have to love it.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 04:14:55 pm »
You gotta have a reason to tell people to quit. And the reason would be the contradictions in the bible.

Heh...who said you have to quit something just because of a little contradiction?  That's silly, and a little presumptuous. 
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »

Heh...who said you have to quit something just because of a little contradiction?  That's silly, and a little presumptuous. 

Why believe something that was wrong?

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 04:23:51 pm »
Because it's a belief, not a science.  Nor do a few contradictions mean everything else is wrong.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline GSx_Major

• Major
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009, 04:38:24 pm »
I still believe the basic teachings of the guy: Live in peace with one another, live a good life etc (no killing, stealing, etc). The basic teachings and rules span almost every religion or belief.
Hardly requires a belief... Err, I guess I didn't realize my parents were prophets preaching these things to me.

In my case, for the same reason I can't accept the Chinese situation, deception is wrong. Call it a quest for freedom :P

Because everyone around you does, because you've been taught it's essential for your moral and sanity. And you believe it leads to eternity in hell, rejecting Gods love, etc.
...and headbutt the sucker through your banana suit!

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2009, 04:41:37 pm »
Any religion is based on believing in something with the eyes closed. Why ever try to convert someone to atheism? It's pointless. You can't turn anyone into an atheist. A few contradictions in the bible doesn't seem enough reason make christians stop believing in.

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009, 04:54:30 pm »

You can't prove something to be right, or wrong. If you didn't believe something based on a few "contradictions" than everything that is said, by every governor, president and leader over the past few hundred years is all wrong, non-existent and you're an idiot for believing they ever happened. (Sorry, this is your definition)

There is contradictions in everything, if your life is so terrible that you believe there is no God, and that you just die that's the end of you, your soul, your spirit and your mind for all eternity, that's your choice.
Sorry to offend you(Atheists) by believing there is more to life than just living a few years and then dying and being buried with the hundreds of millions who took the same path.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 04:59:24 pm »
I want someone to prove that God is real. Then after, we'll keep talking.

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »
Well who cares if there's atheist or not. I'm not an atheist. I believe in Callah (farci for "God", we don't have a good conversion from Farci writing to english) and Allah. I've read the Qur'ān many times. So, you can either go the scientific way (believing that a deep sleep is probably the closes thing to death) or the religious way.

I believe that it's impossible to have scientific proof of what happens when you die, so I'm a religious person.

I want someone to prove that God is real. Then after, we'll keep talking.

You can't prove it, you either believe in it or not.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:07:31 pm by ds dude »
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2009, 05:06:34 pm »
Doesn't 'real' violate God?
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2009, 05:10:49 pm »
Doesn't 'real' violate God?
It does, Espadon.

If you're an atheist, you'll probably think that a long time ago the bible was created. Then during the years the bible was created, people "juiced" up the story, making a "God" and stuff like that.

Niko probably believes that way, which is okay, I'm not saying it's a bad way of thinking.

Though here is the real problem. There's no scientific proof that God or heaven isn't real.

Something that you can't prove you can believe in or not.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2009, 05:16:59 pm »
Because it's a belief, not a science.  Nor do a few contradictions mean everything else is wrong.

I guess that it won't hurt anybody..

You can't prove something to be right, or wrong. If you didn't believe something based on a few "contradictions" than everything that is said, by every governor, president and leader over the past few hundred years is all wrong, non-existent and you're an idiot for believing they ever happened. (Sorry, this is your definition)

There is contradictions in everything, if your life is so terrible that you believe there is no God, and that you just die that's the end of you, your soul, your spirit and your mind for all eternity, that's your choice.
Sorry to offend you(Atheists) by believing there is more to life than just living a few years and then dying and being buried with the hundreds of millions who took the same path.

Not many paradoxes exists in science, at least in the well reseached fields.

Why would you believe something wrong over something less wrong.

ohh, and absolute truth matters very little. Real or not imo is decided by which ever theory describes/fits the world we live in better.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:19:10 pm by excruciator »

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 05:17:50 pm »
I believe that death is the end. That religion is some cheap insurance policy that dissappears when you try and claim on it. So I try to make the best of life, because its the one thing we can all agree on.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 05:18:36 pm »
I think it's wrong to try to force God to be real. It's more an abstract sociological concept like goodness or badness; you can't prove the existence of those things, but we agree they 'are' because we can see the consequences. The difference is that the consequences attributed to 'God' can also be attributed to other things, but do remember that everything is liable to misinterpretation; one person can say a 'good' deed was done because of the good will of the person, yet another can attribute it to a negative aspect like self-interest.

I believe that death is the end. That religion is some cheap insurance policy that dissappears when you try and claim on it. So I try to make the best of life, because its the one thing we can all agree on.

It's easy to think of religion as a crutch, but that's not the real purpose; religion is supposed to make you believe in yourself. Gurren Lagann has a very good allegory about religion: "Believe in me, who believes in you." In the end the Simon doesn't rely on Kamina, yet through Kamina he finds strength in his own self.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:25:16 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2009, 05:20:43 pm »
I believe on what is said in this film : link

Death is not the end to me. I don't care about what will happen then. When the moment arrives I'll know by myself.

Since you can't prove your God is real, there's no reason to believe on it. Who would believe in something that is false? If I write in a paper that the Sun is green, will you believe it or not? if you are smart you won't, I guess.
Believing in something false that gives you false answers to the mysteries of the life is better than not believing on anything?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:28:48 pm by ~Niko~ »

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 05:31:41 pm »
I understand that religion builds morals, character, and good attributes like that, but then there is the contradictions, the hipocracy, the corruption and the false promise of eternal life that I just can't look past.

If eternal life does end up being true, I wouldn't look apon it as my birthright, but more of as a bonus. A possible reward for my troubles.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:37:50 pm by The Epic Guy »

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 05:35:07 pm »
I think about religion as a way to gain money and have power under the believers. What else is it then¿?