Poll

Should Soldat have accelerating fall speed?

F12
33 (71.7%)
F11
13 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Accelerating Fall Speed.  (Read 6839 times)

Offline TradeMAAK

• Soldier
Accelerating Fall Speed.
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:12:56 pm »
The thing is. If you fall from great heights in soldat, sometimes if you do not move a muscle, you just fall on ground and get some damage but survive.

This is because when falling you achieve certain fall speed and then do not accelerate any more. This makes the falling look kind of silly and not quite realistic.

I think it is easy to code and would improve the game as there would be less fall survivors in realistic games.
destroy

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
Re: Accelerating Fall Speed.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:13:37 pm »
I like realism therefore I vote yes!
Always remember the succubus...

Offline TradeMAAK

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:17:59 pm »
This actually goes together with my other recommendation which is when you are really close to ground and press crouch in the right time, you roll evading damage. This would be very fun for a realistic arcade game because would let you jump from big heights and leave everything in your hands - the faster you fall the less chance of rolling and surviving, but you still have chance so you might as well try it.

I think it would make the game a lot more fun, dynamic and cooler in general.
destroy

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:31:10 pm »
This would be a bitch for map balancing issues, and for all the people used to shooting the way it is. Although I do like the idea.

Offline Banksey

• Major
  • Proud smoker of Marlboro Reds
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:37 pm »

Like realism ey? Read up on terminal velocity

Offline Ketchup

• Major(1)
  • "If I can see it, I can kill it."
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:17:13 pm »
This actually goes together with my other recommendation which is when you are really close to ground and press crouch in the right time, you roll evading damage. This would be very fun for a realistic arcade game because would let you jump from big heights and leave everything in your hands - the faster you fall the less chance of rolling and surviving, but you still have chance so you might as well try it.

That would give an actual very good use for the roll. F12 it.
"If I can see it, I can kill it."
-[DO] Lt. Ketchup =S=

Offline igotnousername

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:36:24 pm »
choose realistic mode
when you fall down you get a damage

Offline EL1X

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:53:06 pm »
Because jets are completely realistic, right?
It's a good idea though.

choose realistic mode
when you fall down you get a damage
Don't post next time.  ;)
#9494 +(703)- [X]
<normaliamnot> u ppl here about this building, i think it called, trade center, or big trade center or something?
<normaliamnot> it broken

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:42:30 am »
The thing is. If you fall from great heights in soldat, sometimes if you do not move a muscle, you just fall on ground and get some damage but survive.

This is because when falling you achieve certain fall speed and then do not accelerate any more. This makes the falling look kind of silly and not quite realistic.

I think it is easy to code and would improve the game as there would be less fall survivors in realistic games.
So, basically, increase the value of terminal velocity for the player? :P

I guess it would make things look a bit better (and keeping a parachute more worth it).
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:43:52 am »
Only in realistic mode F12, but it wouldn't do too much.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 10:23:44 am »
F12, I'd really love to see it but only as an option.
I can't imagine how it would work, but it might dramatically change the feel of controls, and might cause map balance issues. Depends how this feature is implemented. There should still be a speed limit.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:25:36 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28:42 am »

Yeah it doesn't reach terminal that fast.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 10:32:13 am »
f12
but i would rather like seeing that when you roll in realistic after falling from bigger heights that you dont get the same damage (its actually a small, almost unnoticable, difference)
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 11:08:18 am »
Terminal velocity takes a while to affect anything. I think no map in soldat has such a fail to reach this speed, unless it's a climbmap.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:35 pm »
propeling yourselw with an m79 on much inf maps would do the trick
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 10:52:09 am »
According to physics, you fall until you reach a certain speed, then you stop accelerating. F11.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:53:27 pm »
According to physics, you fall until you reach a certain speed, then you stop accelerating. F11.
Yup, that's true. When your pace gain some certain speed, gravity force (which causes things to accelerate) is balanced by resistance forces. I think that speed is called "terminal velocity".
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 06:50:46 pm »

Yeah...
well, the terminal velocity of a skydiver is roughly 56 m/s
Therefore, it takes roughly 6 seconds before it reaches terminal.

I don't think you fall for 6 sec straight in soldat before reaching terminal.
More like after 1s.

Like you, I like realism, but unlike you, I vote F12.(you should vote f12 too if you were solemnly base you vote based on realism)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:52:53 pm by excruciator »

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 08:47:41 pm »
Think about the poly bugs that already exist! Even with speedy landings. This would complicate things and most likely get you stuck in the poly a lot.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 10:30:24 pm »
As long as there's air resistance.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 07:16:49 am »
Think about the poly bugs that already exist! Even with speedy landings. This would complicate things and most likely get you stuck in the poly a lot.

True, but you must admit that sometime you wish that you could land a little faster.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:46:58 am »
F12. I would be good for realistic mode, the polybugs won't matter because you brake with jetboots in order not to die. This would make higher jumps deadly - when you don't have so much fuel to brake, and therefore would make parachutes really useful.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 10:11:33 am »

True, but you must admit that sometime you wish that you could land a little faster.
True. But the bug possibilities would be worse then the wait. Getting stuck on polies takes longer to get out of then waiting to land.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16:23 am »
I think that this idea should, at least, be tested and shown us in a video like EnEsCe show us the knifes with the direction gradient grenades with bullet trails (I think it's spelt that way) in a youtube video.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:56:58 pm by ~Niko~ »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 10:19:33 am »
If it's possible to somehow show it to us I totally agree on that.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:27 pm »

True. But the bug possibilities would be worse then the wait. Getting stuck on polies takes longer to get out of then waiting to land.
Right, but you get killed while landing, but you don't while stuck.

Offline TheWind

• Major
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 03:10:55 am »
F11, soldat is now good, dont change it  :-\

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 09:56:36 am »

That is only on realistic mode. This would most likely go into the entire game if implemented.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 09:10:38 am »

That is only on realistic mode. This would most likely go into the entire game if implemented.
The key to that sentence is while landing. Not at landing.
I meant you get shot while landing, but you don't while stuck.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:38:43 am by excruciator »

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 12:31:40 pm »
Especially in realistic mode and r/s
It's just realistic :D

10 m/s^2

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 12:39:00 pm »
Yes, I know you're thinking about a lot of normal servers, but if falling acceleration was added, a lot of climbing ctf maps would become impossible/useless.  I'm all for the realistic thing, but keep in in realistic mode, not in normal :P
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 02:11:22 pm »
climb maps are never played in realistic mode

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »

The key to that sentence is while landing. Not at landing.
I meant you get shot while landing, but you don't while stuck.
The added speed of you falling would increase the chance of poly bugs.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 08:04:55 pm »
On the second thought, it would look weird to see a soldier fall down at an enormous speed and survive (in normal mode).
We already have falling acceleration, it's just terminal velocity is quite low. But i think it's slow enough for others to be able to hit a falling soldier and fast enough for it to look like falling and not floating. I'd say, it's fine as it is now.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 04:56:40 am »
I swear, apart from L[0ne]R, few of you seem to think about terminal velocity.

You DO accelerate with gravity, but you reach your terminal velocity too soon.
Increase the terminal velocity. This will allow you to reach a greater speed when falling, but there is still a reasonable limit to how fast you will travel.

Collisions in games take into account your velocity to calculate where you will be in the next frame/instance and check whether that position is at/in a wall and then offsets you accordingly.

In other words, just because you are travelling a little bit faster wont cause the game's collision detection to collapse into itself. You will always get polybugs in some situations because thats the maps design, not the physics.

I support this idea. Faslling a little faster is a good thing, and it adds something dynamic to how people must aim at falling targets, because their speed can vary.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »
I don't really care about realism, but it would make the game feel a bit better.   The only problem it would increase polybounces so much- when you hit the ground at full speed you're quite likely to bounce weirdly as it is, and increasing falling speed could exacerbate this.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »
It does make sense. And realastic definitely should be realistic. I voted F12.

"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 11:16:44 pm »
I think we should start fixing the problem instead of dodging it.(polybug)

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 05:33:48 am »
f11...but if u make longer jetting faster, with same acceleration like falling, then f12.

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 05:13:06 pm »

Yeah it doesn't reach terminal that fast.

Offline kenkitsume

• Major(1)
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2009, 05:33:47 pm »
I swear, apart from L[0ne]R, few of you seem to think about terminal velocity.

You DO accelerate with gravity, but you reach your terminal velocity too soon.
Increase the terminal velocity. This will allow you to reach a greater speed when falling, but there is still a reasonable limit to how fast you will travel.

Collisions in games take into account your velocity to calculate where you will be in the next frame/instance and check whether that position is at/in a wall and then offsets you accordingly.

In other words, just because you are travelling a little bit faster wont cause the game's collision detection to collapse into itself. You will always get polybugs in some situations because thats the maps design, not the physics.

I support this idea. Faslling a little faster is a good thing, and it adds something dynamic to how people must aim at falling targets, because their speed can vary.

Great point!

Offline Lt. Sprizz

• Major
  • I'm sorry if I offended you.
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2009, 09:17:52 pm »
f12. I like the concept, and I don't believe in real life you reach terminal velocity in less than a second.

I would like to see this put to use.
"I am Jack's lack of surprise..." ~(Tyler Durden)
-=::SPOILER::=-
Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are the same person...:)
In-game: \Biz|Niz/

Offline Minifig

• Major(1)
  • Please don't call me mini.
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2009, 04:00:18 pm »

Heh, that reminds me of zelda.  You jump off of an insanely tall building, but take no damage because you roll when you hit the ground. :p
I do like this idea! F12
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:08:22 pm by Minifig »
There are three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »
Cool, we will see if this gets implemented.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2009, 05:31:16 pm »
There NEEDS to be a point at which you dont accelerate.
Actually, I dont like this at all.
F11

Offline bhs

• Major(1)
    • My Artdump
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2009, 06:46:14 pm »
Actually, I dont like this at all.
F11
I agree, but I believe that point should be raised, a lot.
F12

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 09:17:20 pm »
That would ruin TW for me and many others.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 09:43:32 pm »
Actually, I think that is already the case for Soldaten (and the time to reach a constant velocity is pretty small). For weapons however, it'd just keeps increasing as far as I see.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:45:41 pm by STM1993 »

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 12:52:33 am »
That would ruin TW for me and many others.
Since where in the hell were there high places in TW maps? You seldomly need to think about height in TW.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 01:00:25 am »
Maybe we should set it on specific gamemodes? Could be handy in a few tho.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:41 pm »
If you add it, only in realistic. But I fail to see this effecting gameplay unless it is a very large amount.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 08:23:29 pm »
I like being able to survive large falls by shooting downward and then rolling. This will destroy that.