Poll

Should Soldat have accelerating fall speed?

F12
33 (71.7%)
F11
13 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Accelerating Fall Speed.  (Read 6908 times)

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
Re: Accelerating Fall Speed.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 07:16:49 am »
Think about the poly bugs that already exist! Even with speedy landings. This would complicate things and most likely get you stuck in the poly a lot.

True, but you must admit that sometime you wish that you could land a little faster.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:46:58 am »
F12. I would be good for realistic mode, the polybugs won't matter because you brake with jetboots in order not to die. This would make higher jumps deadly - when you don't have so much fuel to brake, and therefore would make parachutes really useful.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 10:11:33 am »
Think about the poly bugs that already exist! Even with speedy landings. This would complicate things and most likely get you stuck in the poly a lot.

True, but you must admit that sometime you wish that you could land a little faster.
True. But the bug possibilities would be worse then the wait. Getting stuck on polies takes longer to get out of then waiting to land.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16:23 am »
I think that this idea should, at least, be tested and shown us in a video like EnEsCe show us the knifes with the direction gradient grenades with bullet trails (I think it's spelt that way) in a youtube video.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:56:58 pm by ~Niko~ »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 10:19:33 am »
If it's possible to somehow show it to us I totally agree on that.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:27 pm »

True. But the bug possibilities would be worse then the wait. Getting stuck on polies takes longer to get out of then waiting to land.
Right, but you get killed while landing, but you don't while stuck.

Offline TheWind

• Major
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 03:10:55 am »
F11, soldat is now good, dont change it  :-\

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 09:56:36 am »

That is only on realistic mode. This would most likely go into the entire game if implemented.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 09:10:38 am »

That is only on realistic mode. This would most likely go into the entire game if implemented.
The key to that sentence is while landing. Not at landing.
I meant you get shot while landing, but you don't while stuck.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:38:43 am by excruciator »

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 12:31:40 pm »
Especially in realistic mode and r/s
It's just realistic :D

10 m/s^2

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 12:39:00 pm »
Yes, I know you're thinking about a lot of normal servers, but if falling acceleration was added, a lot of climbing ctf maps would become impossible/useless.  I'm all for the realistic thing, but keep in in realistic mode, not in normal :P
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 02:11:22 pm »
climb maps are never played in realistic mode
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »

The key to that sentence is while landing. Not at landing.
I meant you get shot while landing, but you don't while stuck.
The added speed of you falling would increase the chance of poly bugs.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 08:04:55 pm »
On the second thought, it would look weird to see a soldier fall down at an enormous speed and survive (in normal mode).
We already have falling acceleration, it's just terminal velocity is quite low. But i think it's slow enough for others to be able to hit a falling soldier and fast enough for it to look like falling and not floating. I'd say, it's fine as it is now.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 04:56:40 am »
I swear, apart from L[0ne]R, few of you seem to think about terminal velocity.

You DO accelerate with gravity, but you reach your terminal velocity too soon.
Increase the terminal velocity. This will allow you to reach a greater speed when falling, but there is still a reasonable limit to how fast you will travel.

Collisions in games take into account your velocity to calculate where you will be in the next frame/instance and check whether that position is at/in a wall and then offsets you accordingly.

In other words, just because you are travelling a little bit faster wont cause the game's collision detection to collapse into itself. You will always get polybugs in some situations because thats the maps design, not the physics.

I support this idea. Faslling a little faster is a good thing, and it adds something dynamic to how people must aim at falling targets, because their speed can vary.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »
I don't really care about realism, but it would make the game feel a bit better.   The only problem it would increase polybounces so much- when you hit the ground at full speed you're quite likely to bounce weirdly as it is, and increasing falling speed could exacerbate this.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »
It does make sense. And realastic definitely should be realistic. I voted F12.

"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 11:16:44 pm »
I think we should start fixing the problem instead of dodging it.(polybug)

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 05:33:48 am »
f11...but if u make longer jetting faster, with same acceleration like falling, then f12.

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 05:13:06 pm »
I like realism therefore I vote yes!

Like realism ey? Read up on terminal velocity

Yeah it doesn't reach terminal that fast.